Author Topic: 9/14/08  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
9/14/08
« on: November 16, 2008, 06:57:31 AM »
Took out my good friend Lance who is in town for a wedding. We had been looking forward to seeing each other again. The last time we were doing the 2004 Kaiwi Challenge OC-1 relay from Molokai to Oahu. We were last in about 78 teams and it took us 7 and a half hours  >:( >:(. Some teams didnt finish and it was my fourth time ever paddling on a OC-1. It was however a great accomplishment none the less and gave me the confidence that I carry on the water now. I still dont know how he talked me into doing it with him. :P Lance is still racing and surfing canoes and is in tip top shape as the pictures will show.

Four years later we were again paddling but, this time we were fishing. Ahhhhhhhh, no pressure this time... well only to get Lance on a fish. We hit the beach at sunrise and were on our way quickly. In 550 ft we took a double strike and managed to pull in some gamey kakus, I released mine and help Lance land his. We trolled for another hour and hit a 90 ft ledge where Lance took another strike but missed, I rebaited him and soon he hooked up again, this was a screamer and gave him a nice fight, up came another kaku, just a little bigger than the first. Now it was time for some bottom fishing, I rigged up the trusty uku rig and told Lance to wait for the big bite. Lance was eager but waited patiently, nibble, nibble, bam!! The fight was on and I snapped a few pole bending pictures. The struggle was great to watch and made me curious to know what he had on...should of known uku! It was a nice sized one too maybe 8. We had some fish aboard and started our paddle back, Lance took one more screamer of a hit but again missed. 3 for 6 was his count on the day, not too shabby!

For me it was an opportunity to catch up with a good friend, talk life, kids, and future. For Lance it was a reason to hurry up and come back in March so we can do it all again!! Mahalo bruddah Lance, we had a good fun day ah?! ;) Aloha, Roc
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:08:41 AM by Snail »

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
Re: 9/14/08
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 07:02:20 AM »
more pics  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline morninchew

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:13:50 AM »
NIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!!!!  thanks for sharing.  inspiring to say the least.  Is that a camera on his forehead?  -chew
"There are good lures and there are old lures, but there is no such thing as good-old lures."

Ahnkochee

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 09:20:59 AM »
Awesome post and pictures Snail,  spreading the aloha always a good thing.   Looks like Lance a new convert to out ranks, mahalo for sharing.

Offline evan b

• Ultra Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 11:02:50 AM »
nice haul...

he looks pretty stoked! is he gonna start yak fishing now?

Offline sparky13

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 11:20:50 AM »
Solid! I bet it's nice to take a friend out like that and get them on some fish. Looks like you guys had some nice conditions too, the water is glass in those pics.

Offline saltcreekcalico

• Ultra Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 06:08:04 PM »
score, hooked for life gauranteed :)

alphadog808

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 06:41:44 PM »
Wow!  Nice fishes!  Fishin' ain't slowing down for you!  :)

Offline 40fathoms

• Got Fish? No? Let's Get some den!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 08:46:06 AM »
Nice....

Offline louis devaux

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 09:02:19 AM »
nice nice
how much did u pay for the camera????
louis

Offline stone hands

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 03:56:47 PM »
Nice fish and conditions looked cherry! Maybe in order to get ukus gotta hang around rocket!  :D Congrats to Lance on a productive day.

Offline blood_line

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 04:39:39 PM »
Nice catch. Those action shots are the sick.  I want a waterproof camera :(

Offline ocpdlr

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 12:56:57 PM »
Brah Ike,

That was the mos' fun I've had in a long time - and as you know, we've had our share.  That day certainly pegged the "fun-meter"  I'm truly blessed to have such good friends like yourself that share their passion w/such aloha.  I can't tell you what a great feeling it was to be able to share a platter of sash'd uku and give ziploc bags full of fresh filets to my family - all tanks to you.

The only bad thing is that you've now added another addiction to my platter.  Oh well, good thing we have kids so at least we'll always have someone to do/share these things with, eh braddah?

Oh, and BTW next time we do the channel together, let's drag some opelu.

P.S. re: the camera I was so fashionably sporting, it's that GoPro Digital Hero 3, you can get them on the net for about ~$140, which includes a 2Gb card, good for about 50 min of YouTube quality vid.  (That assumes you have fresh batteries, which unfortunately, mines was not, so the video I was taking cut out after a few minutes into it...)  oh well, next time.

Aloha!

Ahnkochee

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 01:31:13 PM »
E komo mai Lance, good to see you posting.  Now the question: You going to rig your OC-1 for fishing or you going to pick up a kayak?  ;)

Offline ocpdlr

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 09:35:31 PM »
Mahalo Uncle!   :D, To tell you the truth, I am looking at picking up a used kayak, hoping to do some ocean fishing off the WA and OR coast.  2 summers ago, I caught and released a 6 lb wild steelhead in the Columbia River using my OC-1, 2" pvc pipe lashed to the iako, steelhead gear, and trolling a lure called a magnum wiggle wart (don't ask me how dis funny kine alien looking lure works, but that's how they fish up here and it does catch steelhead and salmon). 

Freshwater fishing is ok, but something about this past outing w/Ike has reignited the bug to hunt for the unknown gifts from the ocean and the kayak appears to be a better vessel - less fragile anyway and better suited for the purpose. We'll see how it goes.   

Thanks again for the encouragement.  Aloha!

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 05:34:28 AM »
Lance - Grab that kayak, get out on the (cold) water, and start hooking up! Can't wait to see your reports! ;D ;D

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline louis devaux

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 07:27:54 AM »
i am looking forward to getting one of those cameras
louis

Offline freediver

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 03:18:17 PM »
YEAH MAN!!!!              GEEV'UM AND GO GET'UM ;D ;D
geev'um or go get'um

Offline Tiger Tai

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 07:05:37 PM »
my bro uses that camera for surfing its on a wrist strap did you hook it up to your visor or is it a true head cam?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 07:24:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

last catch of 2009