Author Topic: Ala Moana beach kayak launch?  (Read 5852 times)

Offline mongoose

• Ultra Member
Ala Moana beach kayak launch?
« on: November 22, 2008, 09:13:28 AM »
Is it ok to launch a kayak from any beach?  I was thinking Magic Island would be convenient but might piss people off.  What about waikiki beach?  the canoes seem to be able to do it...or is that because they have permits and registration?

Offline surf-bum

Re: Ala Moana beach kayak launch?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:15:14 PM »
I think that you can probably launch right where the paddlers launch their boats. The ramp closest to the waikiki side entrance. I didnt think launching kayaks on the beach can piss people off. As long as you are a good distance and they arent fishing or surfing?

Offline rickypak

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 08:48:08 PM »
I've launched from the Ala Wai boat canoe ramp and also dragged my kayak and launched off the beach in ala moana bay...

Caution: Bottom half of canoe ramp is HELLA SLIPPERY!!! Hulied over in the yummy ala wai water.

Offline surf-bum

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 06:15:14 AM »
Oh yea. Never thought about that. Thanks for the heads up. Dont want to make a$$ in front of everyone.  :o

Offline alojas

• Jus another day of aku bustin surface....
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:27:33 AM »
hehe, i wen huli on that ramp once also, like walkin on ice...no scared make a scene, jus stand up and take a bow...peeps clap for u anyways..hehe
It is what it is...or so i'm told!

Offline mongoose

• Ultra Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:59:40 AM »
Thanks guys.  will probably do it on a weekday though...less busy.

Offline rick

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 11:34:01 AM »
I would think you can launch from any beach.  Just be sure you show courtesy to others that are swimming, surfing, body boarding, or fishing.  Keep enough space around you so you won't endanger anyone should you lose control or huli.  If you can, keep your rods stowed or at least unrigged.  I've only launched/landed twice and even then only a few other people were around, so it was pretty easy to find a good spot.  I don't know if you're going to be able to find a spot like that at Ala Moana beach.
Know your limits and have fun. Being smart does not make you a wuss. - Trout

Offline surf-bum

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »
mongoose. what kine fishing are you planning to do out there. I might think about going out on wed. fool around kine.

Offline rick

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 12:53:56 PM »
mongoose. what kine fishing are you planning to do out there. I might think about going out on wed. fool around kine.

Wednesday is forecast to be pretty high winds.  http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=159&Isection=Wind+Forecast&day=2&model=true  Surf is also forecast to be on the rise, 4-6 in some areas of town (east facing shores), 1-3 in others (south facing shores).  The southeast shores take on the 4-6 waves.
Know your limits and have fun. Being smart does not make you a wuss. - Trout

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 01:13:31 PM »
I would think you can launch from any beach.  Just be sure you show courtesy to others that are swimming, surfing, body boarding, or fishing.  Keep enough space around you so you won't endanger anyone should you lose control or huli.  If you can, keep your rods stowed or at least unrigged.  I've only launched/landed twice and even then only a few other people were around, so it was pretty easy to find a good spot.  I don't know if you're going to be able to find a spot like that at Ala Moana beach.
I wasn't going to post on this thread, but I don't want anyone getting hurt or getting the public mad at kayak fishermen at a spot that we like to go, so I decided to. We launch at Ala Moana Beach Park from time to time. There...the secret is out. :-X The trick is to go on a weekday if you can (or make short runs early on the weekends), go early so you can get cherry parking, launch early (watch the swimmers because they go super early), and don't drag lines inside the reef area where people swim...AND PLEASE stay away from the boat lanes. Yes, boats are supposed to avoid kayaks, BUT we need to be good neighbors and stay out of their way too.

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline mongoose

• Ultra Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 01:57:28 PM »
Thanks Uyeda bros..  experienced info.  i always wanted to launch from the area where ala moana meets magic island as it is so close to the parking lot.  Surf-bum we go sometime but this wed. i gotta' clean house and start the turkey.  I guess wind and surf no good too.

Offline 40fathoms

• Got Fish? No? Let's Get some den!
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »
Thanks Uyeda bros..  experienced info.  i always wanted to launch from the area where ala moana meets magic island as it is so close to the parking lot.  Surf-bum we go sometime but this wed. i gotta' clean house and start the turkey.  I guess wind and surf no good too.

Right on guys go get um.

Ahnkochee

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 03:27:27 PM »
Watch out da flesh eating bacteria from da Ala Wai Canal!   :o ;)

Offline mongoose

• Ultra Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 06:44:11 PM »
kinda' wondered about that uncle.  when gotta' watch out...always there?

Offline 40fathoms

• Got Fish? No? Let's Get some den!
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 07:10:09 PM »
I wasn't going to post on this thread, but I don't want anyone getting hurt or getting the public mad at kayak fishermen at a spot that we like to go, so I decided to. We launch at Ala Moana Beach Park from time to time. There...the secret is out. :-X The trick is to go on a weekday if you can (or make short runs early on the weekends), go early so you can get cherry parking, launch early (watch the swimmers because they go super early), and don't drag lines inside the reef area where people swim...AND PLEASE stay away from the boat lanes. Yes, boats are supposed to avoid kayaks, BUT we need to be good neighbors and stay out of their way too.
Alway the ambassador of this sport!!  ;)

Ahnkochee

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 08:09:06 PM »
kinda' wondered about that uncle.  when gotta' watch out...always there?

It's been a couple years since the last reported case.  I would only be guessing but with all the rain these past few days the drainage system of the Ala Wai canal and adjoining waters has been pretty flushed out thus lessening the chances of infection, only a guess though.

Offline rickypak

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 08:28:05 PM »
I remember the cases of the flesh eating bacteria...one guy fell into the water in waikiki near the ala wai and one surfer off of waikiki...the guy died (i think)...but these incidents happened a short while after the massive sewage spill a few years back...should be quite safe now...hmm...then again it is the ala wai.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 08:42:13 PM by rickypak »

Offline Paz

• Ultra Member
  • Tandem Kayak Fishing: Never die alone
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 09:52:48 PM »
I remember the cases of the flesh eating bacteria...one guy fell into the water in waikiki near the ala wai and one surfer off of waikiki...the guy died (i think)...but these incidents happened a short while after the massive sewage spill a few years back...should be quite safe now...hmm...then again it is the ala wai.
The guy was actually a client of mine at the TV station.  Dude was healthy...ran all the time, very active lifestyle.  He fell into the Ala Wai an scraped up his legs climbing up on the rocks to get out.  He checked himself into the hospital a day and an half later because of an infection.  Another day later, they had to amputate his left leg.  Two days later his body went into toxic shock and his liver failed.  Family finally had to pull the plug because his immune system basically shut down and he was technically brain dead.   This whole thing happened within a week of falling into the Ala Wai after the forty days of rain we had.  Bottom line...that water is not safe and I'm pretty sure that the city and county made a big mistake pumping 40 million gallons of raw sewage into our backyards.
Tandem Kayak Fishing:  Never die alone

Offline evan b

• Ultra Member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 09:59:17 PM »
I heard that the city had a choice...send the overflowing sewer back up into millions of toilets in Honolulu or dump it into the Ala Wai. Guess what the geniuses did? Cost that poor guy his life. I heard he had 3 different strains of lethal bacteria that would have killed or almost killed him by themselves.

Offline surf-bum

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 06:16:13 AM »
mongoose. last minute but I might be able to go. dont really have much gear so i might be a burden. was only going to slow troll if anything. plus get choke wind. i would be down though.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2017, 03:14:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

CNR Ulua