Author Topic: Ala Moana beach kayak launch?  (Read 5909 times)

Offline mongoose

• Ultra Member
Re: Ala Moana beach kayak launch?
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 06:57:57 AM »
surf-bum,

the mother in law comes into town on wed and have to clean and gobble gobble.  but itching to go soon.

Offline Yoda Man

• “Fear is the path to the dark side"
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 11:19:51 AM »
I remember that story of the Guy and the flesh eating bacteria (YIKES!!!)
Currently, there are canoe clubs, kayak racing clubs, and others that paddle up and down the Ala Wai.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I normally launch from Magic Island and paddle up the Ala Wai (4 miles total)...  Everything was cool until two weeks ago when I found 3 dead rats floating...  Now, I'm currently looking for another training area.  Any body got any idea's? 

Offline evan b

• Ultra Member
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 11:37:02 AM »
i like paddling in the ocean instead of a scummy bacteria infested drainage canal

Offline Paz

• Ultra Member
  • Tandem Kayak Fishing: Never die alone
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 02:56:50 PM »
Currently, there are canoe clubs, kayak racing clubs, and others that paddle up and down the Ala Wai.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I normally launch from Magic Island and paddle up the Ala Wai (4 miles total)...  Everything was cool until two weeks ago when I found 3 dead rats floating...  Now, I'm currently looking for another training area.  Any body got any idea's? 
I'm suprised that a lot of the canoe/racing clubs started training there again.  I know a lot of them moved over to sand island after that whole incident.  I still see some people with lines in the water over there fishing from shore and for the life of me I don't know how anyone could eat anything caught from that water.
Tandem Kayak Fishing:  Never die alone

Offline evan b

• Ultra Member
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 03:15:57 PM »
I was watching a show...I forgot whether is was HGF, LGF or whatever but the old legend Stan Wright was fishing with ultra light tackle in the Ala Wai for kaku and stuff. Looked like a lot of fun. They threw them all back.

Offline Paz

• Ultra Member
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 03:25:56 PM »
I was watching a show...I forgot whether is was HGF, LGF or whatever but the old legend Stan Wright was fishing with ultra light tackle in the Ala Wai for kaku and stuff. Looked like a lot of fun. They threw them all back.
I saw that episode and that was shot waaay before the the sewage incident.  It did look like a lot of fun and i don't doubt that there's fish to be caught in there it's just the thought of touching that water that scrares me (especially if you have a small cut or scrape),  BTW i've heard rumors of some monster shrimp in the ala wai...one guy told me he netted one that was about 10 inches long and he thought it was a lobster at first but realized it was a shrimp.

Offline evan b

• Ultra Member
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 03:47:05 PM »
monster mutant mantis shrimp

in the tv show it looked like they were pretty careful not to touch the water. They had lip grips and mentioned how dirty it was a couple different times.

Offline saltcreekcalico

• Ultra Member
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 03:50:53 PM »
A guy caught a 2 or 3 pounder when they were dredging the canal, i heard he took it home and kept it alive in an aquarium for a few weeks to flush out the toxins then he when grind em :o

Ahnkochee

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 04:28:05 PM »
I don't know if get any oldtimers more makule than me but back in the early 60s my family lived one block from the Ala Wai Canal and back then still had some wooden platforms along the bank of the canal that the Mullet fishermen built to fish from (Kaneohe Bay on top some of the reefs had same kine mullet fishing platforms too).  I remember hanging out along the bank of the canal with my older siblings watching the Mullet fishermen, also we would save up our change and then rent a rowboat at the floating boat rental right next to the McCully Street bridge which also rented electric boats for more money.  I remember buying my first Li hing Mui at the rental too.  Back then nobody worried about pollution, everyones just crabbed and fished in the Ala Wai oblivious to any dangers.  Oh da good old daze, wish I had a time machine.

Offline Paz

• Ultra Member
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 04:33:33 PM »
A guy caught a 2 or 3 pounder when they were dredging the canal, i heard he took it home and kept it alive in an aquarium for a few weeks to flush out the toxins then he when grind em :o
Holy crap, a 2-3 pound shrimp???  that's definatley not normal and that's one brave guy to eat it even after he kept it in the tank.

Offline Mikey

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 04:42:47 PM »

You can practice at Keehi Lagoon.

Mikey
just stoked to be out there.

Offline Paz

• Ultra Member
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 04:44:31 PM »
here's a pic from the Advertiser about the mutant Mantis shrimp and a link to the story.
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Feb/14/ln/ln01a.html

Offline Mikey

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 04:45:41 PM »
here's a pic from the Advertiser about the mutant Mantis shrimp and a link to the story.
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Feb/14/ln/ln01a.html

EEEeeeewwww.  If it's not supposed to get that big, would you eat it?  ;)
just stoked to be out there.

Offline Paz

• Ultra Member
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 04:47:59 PM »
supposedly they are sweeter than lobster but I'll take their word for it

Ahnkochee

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 05:15:50 PM »
When we were dredging Ma'alaea Harbor on Maui the dredges dug up several monster Mantis Shrimp ('Alo'alo), they were all eaten.
Next time you go eat sushi order the "Shako" sushi.   ;)

Offline evan b

• Ultra Member
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 05:20:04 PM »
Can catch the loads around 3-4" size at Hawaii Kai...are the ones that small worth trying? I used them for bait one day but I dont think the o'io were in on the flats

Offline Yoda Man

• “Fear is the path to the dark side"
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 05:55:09 PM »

You can practice at Keehi Lagoon.

Mikey

Isn't Keehi Lagoon also Polluted?  I guess its safer?!? I'll give it a try.. Thanks Mikey  :)

Ahnkochee

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 06:33:13 PM »

Isn't Keehi Lagoon also Polluted?  I guess its safer?!? I'll give it a try.. Thanks Mikey  :)

Only as polluted as the Kapalama Canal, & Kalihi Stream which feed into it. 
I wouldn't eat anything from those two bodies of water either.  ;)

Offline Ta'ape Hunta

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 06:33:45 PM »
EEEeeeewwww.  If it's not supposed to get that big, would you eat it?  ;)
r we still talking about the shrimp or women? j/k j/k j/k!
PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY PAN FRY

Offline rickypak

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »

Only as polluted as the Kapalama Canal, & Kalihi Stream which feed into it. 
I wouldn't eat anything from those two bodies of water either.  ;)
Don't know if there are any clean streams in town anymore because all those streams are fed by heavily populated valleys.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:00:13 PM by rickypak »

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 07:31:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Black Marlin