Author Topic: Trolling with a partner  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
Trolling with a partner
« on: February 05, 2008, 07:52:30 AM »
This has to be my biggest pet peeve. When I am trolling I dont mind someone coming up on occasion next to me (20 to 30ft). I much rather have a good amount of distance between me and everyone else. What I cant stand is someone drafting me down a run. Your basically killing any chance for a hook up while putting a tangle between us at a high percentage. What a lot of anglers sometimes forget is the lines you got behind you can cause the most problems. Think of it as driving a big Semi Truck connected to a long rig. Remember to not only be focused on the other kayaker ahead of you, his rig could be trolling right under you. It will make for smoother times on the water for you and your friend. Roc

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
Re: Trolling with a partner
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 08:14:21 AM »
great one isaac. i think thats the only thing that gets me bummed on the water. I cant not stand when people troll in a direct line behind me. basically putting there yak right on my bait. I dont mind side by side trolling and its a lot of fun when you get a double hook up. you dont want to be to close. also its in our nature that when a friend hooks up especially a mahi you want to try to pick up a follower. when someone is fighting a big fish give him plenty of room while you circle looking for the followers. one time back in my rookies days i paddled to close to a friend who was hooked up. needless to say i got to close and tangled on his rudder. what a mess. i had to jump in the water to untagle it. safe distance while trolling is great advice. aloha Boogie-D

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 08:58:33 AM »
When Boogie and I were in Kona, I was paddling up the Kawaihae coast and Boogie (having fine etiquette) came sailing up next to me. We were in good speaking distance about 30 ft apart. We worked up the coast another hour before changing directions. When we turned around both of us did wide circles opposite one another (makes logical sense).

If you have two lines out and  going to make a turn, sometimes its easier to just reel in a line closer and turn your yak in that direction.

And Boogie is right about mahimahis, when someone hooks up there is a huge possibility more are around. Stay around the perimeter of your partner and his fighting fish, remember the mahi may take many more runs so be ready. If you are coming in to assist, reel in your line to 20 yards (at least). I have been on both sides of the action before. It is always important to not let lines drift into your fighting partner. Trust me this technique works great. Roc

Offline Mr. SNUFFALUPAGUS

• Sailing off to find humility. I can't find any :)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 02:21:08 PM »
absolutely,   
nothing more annoying than having someone run over your lines.

best thing to do is communicate with your partners, one of you should be the leader and let them know when you plan to turn, what direction, etc. 2-3 yaks running a nice line abreast formation 30 feet apart  is a great way to cover plenty of water.

Offline polepole

• Administrator
    • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 05:20:46 PM »
Hmmm ... gotta ask a question here and make some observations.

Do you think a kayak actually scares fish or is it a fish attractor?  When I'm fishing pelagics off a power boat, the boat itself is the biggest fish attractor.  In fact I can run a short line not 20 feet from the boat and catch fish all day.  Well, certain fish behave differently.  Tombo will come right in and smack them.  Shibi too.  Ahi size tends to be more boat shy and I get em on the way way back center line.  Mahi are somewhere in between, but didn't Corbins mahi from the big island practically run into Ed's paddle?  Billfish will definitely come right into the boat.  Ono's stay farther away and deeper too.

Related question, anyone run any teasers off their yaks to create more commotion and give the allusion of a ball o' bait swimming around?

-Allen

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 06:12:50 PM »
allen i have been thinking about getting a flasher to try running. the have all kind different ones and different colors to simulate bait balls. i was wondering if this would help bring up the school. what about putting a disco ball along the bottom of the yak. maybe some kind of tape scheme. it seems as though sometimes the boats will scare the schools where as the kayaks wont. and it seems like when they are very hungry nothing scares them. there was a guy i knew he used to deep sea spear. he would go to good-will and buy all kinds of spoons. he would get to his spot and start dropping the spoons. he swore this would pull up the mahi ono and tuna if they were around. I think i might try drag a flasher someday. aloha Boogie

Ahnkochee

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 08:48:08 PM »
what about putting a disco ball along the bottom of the yak.

Pipe in some BEEGEEs music and the fish will come hustling along, should be especially effective on Saturday nights!  ;)

(sorry, couldn't help myself)  :-[

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 06:59:33 AM »
I got some tips from my good friends skin divers Kalei Fernandez and Andy Tamasese, they said palu and then drop a sticker flasher about 50ft down with a bait near that. Its best on light current and rising tide days. Roc

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 09:24:41 AM »
what about putting a disco ball along the bottom of the yak.

Pipe in some BEEGEEs music and the fish will come hustling along, should be especially effective on Saturday nights!  ;)

(sorry, couldn't help myself)  :-[

now thats what I am talking about put on your finest polyester fishing clothes with bell bottoms and hana pa

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 08:53:50 AM »
We've tried dragging spinners and flashy things behind our kayak, but haven't had much (any) success with them.  :-[ Gareth (the younger Uyeda Brother) loves gadgets and always comes up with ideas (that I have to make) to try and attract fish, but sad to say, no luck. Maybe one day he'll come up with something (that I have to make) that will work and we'll live off the royalties forever. HAHAHA!  :D

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline 40fathoms

• Got Fish? No? Let's Get some den!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 07:15:03 AM »
Just wanted to give this post a bump.. I was out in Keahou bay during the tournament and an unkown kayaker came up to say how's the action, when suddenly my rod started to sing. This kayaker decide to get out of the way by going directly towards where the fish was taking me. He also didn't realize that he had inadvertently position himself dead center of myself ,Wendell, and Evans.

I just wanted to give everyone a friendly reminder about trolling with a partner/group etiquette. Not only is this critical when it comes to avoiding tangled lines, but more so when your on top of an opelu Koa. Wendell and I figured out that when there are more than one kayak on top of an opelu koa they scatter and move from the spot at a faster rate instead of hanging underneath your yak.  The best way to accomplish this is wait 50 feet up current of the the person who found it first, wait for him to drift off the bait ball and you will drift right into it for your shot at the honey pot..

When lending assitance to another yaker both of you should reel up your lines and put rods in front of you or staright up and down if you have an adjustble holder. So many times with wendell our lines and hooks get caught in each others crap. especially with damashi flies.

When another person is hooked up to a fish, he should be given some room to maneuver, he is at the mercy of where the fish is going to take him. If you want to hang out near that person in anticapation of followers, reel up your line that's 2 miles long to about 20 feet and be prepared to anticapte where he might be going and prepare to move out of his way.

By following these simple yet common sense approach, it will make for a smoother time on the water. ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:34:36 AM by 40fathoms »

Offline saltcreekcalico

• Ultra Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 08:45:04 AM »
great advice 40, not only cause u don't want to cause a lost fish but also cause tangles are super dangerous, especially on a yak with no room to maneuver.  A tangle or snag could easily cause someone to get hooked in the chin or flipped by a fish.  I agree, if u wanna come close to help or check out the fish, reel up your lines and be ready to get out of the way if the fish gos nuts.  BTW did you get the fish?

Ahnkochee

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 08:52:38 AM »
Good points, you definitely don't want to get between a guy and a big fish especially if he's using Power-Pro line, cuts like a laser and could loose some fingers or worse.   :o

Offline 40fathoms

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 08:53:46 AM »
great advice 40, not only cause u don't want to cause a lost fish but also cause tangles are super dangerous, especially on a yak with no room to maneuver.  A tangle or snag could easily cause someone to get hooked in the chin or flipped by a fish.  I agree, if u wanna come close to help or check out the fish, reel up your lines and be ready to get out of the way if the fish gos nuts.  BTW did you get the fish?

Yes I did land it, but that's another story for you....

Offline 40fathoms

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 08:55:02 AM »
Good points, you definitely don't want to get between a guy and a big fish especially if he's using Power-Pro line, cuts like a laser and could loose some fingers or worse.   :o

Good point Uncle Ji, because that's all i use in my rig.

Offline 40fathoms

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 06:59:07 PM »
Bump, not enough peeps have replied or seen this yet... :P

Offline wildirish

• Ultra Member
  • Underwater Rugby Brother
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 08:00:14 PM »
Not much to say other than this is great post.  With the popularity of the kayak fishing trolling with consideration and respect each others water space will go along way. Thanks for the bump FORTY!
E Malama I Ka Wai Ola  Protect our waters FOR LIFE

Always leave the beach better than you found it, respect the locals,
respect all, so those who do not respect, can see the way. You will never receive what you do not give. Live Pono

Offline louis devaux

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 03:00:17 PM »
i am like the only kayak fisher down here so no problems with that ;) ;)
louis

Offline 40fathoms

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 03:53:50 PM »
i am like the only kayak fisher down here so no problems with that ;) ;)

Must be nice... How's the fishing going over on your side of the world?

Offline louis devaux

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
well fishing on the whole is great
but kayak fishing isnt soo good this time of year because of the ruff seas
i am also new to it and on about my first try at the kayak fishing i hoooked up with 2 nice size king mackrell but unfortunately lost both because of my inexperienced self but practice makes perfect rite???
louis

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2017, 03:17:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Barred papio