Author Topic: Caution!!  (Read 10034 times)

OahuDave

Re: Caution!!
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 11:09:36 AM »
Welcome! You came to the right place, no doubt about it. Post up some pics of your yaks and keep everyone updated on your runs.

Offline Wallz

• Wallz
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 12:04:51 PM »
I'll take some pix on the next run and post in caddilyaks.
WV

OahuDave

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 12:09:46 PM »
I'll take some pix on the next run and post in caddilyaks.

You better or Ahnko will get out his 'no pics' image again. You do NOT want that!!! :)

Offline Joe

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 07:28:40 PM »
Hello everyone, My name is Wallace. The tips and advice everyone provides on this site is very informative.

My friend Randy and I are new to the sport. We bought our Drifters this past Christmas.

I've surfed pretty much all my life so I have a decent idea of how the wide, current, tide, & swell plays a factor at breaks. Kayak fishing is a whole different ball game. We've been out 3 times now once at each spot Maunalua Bay, Alamoana, & KBay. No luck. Mostly lure diving. The first thing I quickly realized is, kayaks are like balloons on water. Secondly, as some of you mentioned, the padel back can be diceiving. I must say there's alot to learn in this sport.

My #1 priority is to study weather patterns and of course train, learn, train, learn, train, learn. Unfortunately reading charts is like a foreign laguage to me. I'll get it someday. Until then I'll stay inside, or near the breaks.

Welcome... there is a lot of knowledge posted here... it will take some time to read it all but it IS here.

Offline morninchew

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 06:39:58 PM »
You make some really good points Dave.
"There are good lures and there are old lures, but there is no such thing as good-old lures."

Offline XQ

• photography at a fair price
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 11:50:31 PM »
as dave said even going back teh way you left can be strange my last run out - 3-4 months ago at alamoana i took my kayak out from the beach where every 1 swims paddled ove rthe shallow reef - weny maybe 1/2 mile out listening to radio when some guy reports that he has heavy rain and gives his lcoation hes 2 miles out from where i am so i start to paddle in - next thing i know im in Realy crazzy  rain and i mean it was prety hard to see the front of my kayak rain
so im padldleing in i know what was in front of me  and im following the surf next thing i know SCRAPE i ran across the reef it was shallow - so i just go up and walked the whole length of the reef untill i got to magic island -
www.LONDON808.com
Photography for any occasion
priced for everyones wallet

Offline rbpuana

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 06:23:20 PM »
ive been fishing all my life so take it from me, This little beauty is worth every penny!
please look into it if you are venturing in the blue stuff
puana
Go big or go home.

Offline Deep Um

• Fishing aint pokemon.. you dont gata catch um all
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »
wen in doubt pull out
From the depths of the sea to the top of mauna kea....

Offline Tiger Tai

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 07:35:24 AM »
Is this because of my lanai post. just trying to warn a bro so he dint get hurt. like i always said no fish is worth your life. I'm a certified county of maui life guard and during my training it was drilled into us know your waters and its signs because your powerless against momma nature. paranoia will keep you alive better safe than sorry. Good looking out Rock. maliko gulch is often talked about on maui but catch it wrong and you ll be  sorry be saaaaaaaafe.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:03:41 PM by Tiger Tai »

Offline Spike

• "I got it bad"
    • The Kayak Fishing Web Site
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 04:39:02 PM »
This is a great thread.  If I've learned anything about the NOOB thing, it's that 99% of kayak anglers are anglers drawn to the sport by a love of fishing.  Very few of us come into it with essential paddling skills and most don't care.  Amazingly, I've rescued many anglers in deep water who were unable to remount their sot kayak after falling off.  I imagine the lifeguard experience is similar.
With the technology available today for weather info and safety devices, kayak anglers can build their skills faster with more confidence.
Whack `em.
Disclaimer-I am in the kayak fishing business but...that shouldn't be a problem.

Offline The One That Got Away

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 08:56:16 PM »
Hi Rocket:

I definitely second your advice.  Being someone who has been around the ocean ever since my hanabada days. I am still cautious and tread carefully when ever I go to the ocean.  Whether it being dunking from shore, surfing or kayak fishing I have never ever tried to do something out there that was beyond my abilities.  I just want to say keep safe out there to everyone and be mindful of the ocean.

Offline scupperpro

• If you fish, they will come. . .
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 06:37:50 PM »
Well said Roc!  The color coded certification is an interesting idea. 
If you fish, they will come. . .
Penn Reels are No Ka Oi!

Offline paka555

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 03:06:35 PM »
VERY,very good tread.good points from all of yous...thanks rocket!
"The wisest mind has something yet to learn."

Offline mini bus-driver

• "root from a bottomless sea"
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 05:16:42 PM »
good lookin out roc,safety 1st,i always roll with a pfd,whistle,vhf and cell phone,gerber knife,food,water,etc.Better to be safe and sorry,thats why i always try to go with a partner

Offline Koanalu

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2009, 09:53:29 AM »
Do not venture out on a kayak that does not have a rudder

I agree that a rudder is helpful, but I don't agree with the advice.  Rudders can and do fail and when they do they can leave you in a worse situation than if you didn't have one in the first place.  Best advice is avoid conditions that would require you to need a rudder.

Ahnkochee

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2009, 12:40:01 PM »
I have to agree that rudders are nice but not a necessity with many experienced kayak fishermen fishing rudderless kayaks.  The inventor the kayak the Aleuts and Inuits didn't need them, they relied on their waterman skills.  
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 08:07:05 PM by Ahnko Chee »

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2009, 01:03:11 PM »
As much as I have seen its advantages the rudder is not enough in tough windy conditions. You need to be a seasoned paddler first and understand angles to getting in. I paddled for three years without a rudder. There is much less drag without one.

If your rudder fails on the open ocean and heavy winds prevail then what? First thing is to be experienced enough to manage with or without a rudder. This will take time.

Bottom line rudders assist but are not to be relied on. Rely on your abilities or make proper decisions/planning prior to kayaking and take your time.

Offline takoman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2009, 07:23:02 PM »
Yellowman you have a lot learn about yak fishing on the Kohala coast. there are things to watch for when on the water to keep your self safe before you get caught in the wind.. Some good advise would be make some friends so your not solo all the time. If you see another yak fisher go talk to them dont just ask how did you catch that Uku. Yeah dat was me. Abay is my back yard! get to know some of the boats and charters around there. you VHF is only good for the CG. and if you call them for help well i dont remember the last time i seen any of them around to help.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:27:10 PM by takoman »

Offline yelloman

• Ultra Member
  • reel nice!
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2009, 12:16:59 PM »
I decided to remove my posting on rudders as I feel my words of advice seemed to perhaps offend people :( or that is the conclusion I draw. Sorry if it did.

Offline Koanalu

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2009, 02:26:01 PM »
I decided to remove my posting on rudders as I feel my words of advice seemed to perhaps offend people :( or that is the conclusion I draw. Sorry if it did.

I can only speak for myself, but I wasn't offended.  I just didn't agree.  Straight talk prevails in the forum and if people don't agree, they will say so plainly, especially if it's a safety issue.  In the case of your post, you're a noob here and you came right out giving safety advice, and advice that probably most of use wouldn't agree with (i think), so that will get you strongly worded replies for sure.  I hope you won't be discouraged and will continue to participate.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2017, 02:43:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Roi