Author Topic: Caution!!  (Read 9846 times)

Ahnkochee

Re: Caution!!
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2009, 05:20:53 PM »
I don't believe anyone was offended, we just don't want a nOOb getting a false sense of security thinking a rudder can make up for lack of skills or experience which really no mechanical device can do.   No replacement for time on the water especially time spent with more experienced paddlers.  ;)

Offline yelloman

• Ultra Member
  • reel nice!
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »
Oh good, well glad I removed the advice before too many eyes see it.

I'm ok with straight talk - I can take it. Sometimes I will talk straight back

Yes I'm a nOOb in the blue water fishing department on my SOT in these waters here

However, I paddled a rudderless 11ft canoe for about three years on high elevation windy California lakes trolling for trout - so not a nOOb with the paddle stick . But I handn't told anyone here that - didn't feel I needed to - lakes ain't oceans. I still don't feel the kayak manouvers as nice as the canoe did. Anyways my rudder opinion wan't unfounded - just shouldn't have turned it into advice- point taken.

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2009, 06:24:48 PM »
Its a good topic to discuss.

Offline KChock

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2010, 11:26:06 AM »
I'm sure the rudder vs. no rudder was hit upon in another thread somewhere.  Rudders can also bend, chafe/snag/cut your line, and give you another factor to deal with when hooked up or in some kind of bad situation.  The rudders on most SOTs can also come out of the water when maneuvering in surf.  On the other hand, rudders can be really helpful under certain conditions, like a steady cross wind.

Offline JDoc

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2010, 09:29:35 PM »
Anyone ever get that map created? :)  Come on.  Starting Friday, 17 days of water.  Free time finally.  If not, Kbay/Kailua and Ewa it is.  Oh, and anywhere on the Eastside/Windward side.  No poles for now maybe.  Jus my camera.  Did catch a nice 7-11 crab the other day tho.  Sucka shoulda let go.

Offline Ahinahina

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2010, 09:54:45 AM »
The commitment to encourage proper safety and responsibilty is amazing here. Good job AH ohana! Not bringing a pole until I KNOW I can handle an area, in any given situation, with out one first. That means choke scout sessions.
Bumbai

Offline whipit

• Any day fishing is better than a day at work.
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2010, 02:14:12 PM »
No need scout all that much.  Would be good if you could fish with someone that knows the area.  Usually from shore you can tell a lot about an area, minus the current of course.  I like to talk to boat fishermen or divers who frequent the area before I head out.  That's been really helpful.

Offline Pottymouth

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2011, 03:59:09 AM »
Excellent. Couldn't of said it better myself... When we post blue water trips holding up big catches, lots of people really do think that's easy "I can do that..." I have seen lots of guys flip loss all their gear, have rods shoot out of their rod holders or just snap in half..I once saw a guy jump off his kayak after a rod he dropped without thinking that his kayak will separate from him fast due to winds and current. u got to walk before u run... It's so important to know ur limits.. As well as to be comfortable being out in the ocean on a kayak. I really like this tread... This should be a mandatory reading  for all offshore kayak anglers
Awesome job....

Offline HG

• Ultra Member
    • Pau Spam, LLC
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2011, 12:57:39 PM »
I have seen lots of guys flip loss all their gear, have rods shoot out of their rod holders or just snap in half.

We call it a "yard sale" here :-)
Good to see you posting too!

Offline Carlyon

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2011, 09:18:23 PM »
Good stuff. I'm joining the hui waa to get some experience paddling. No shame in working my way up. Could take years before I go into the deep blue. But I'm content to stay closer to shore and catch smaller fish till I'm good and ready.  January 8th they have a small paddle from Kailua beach. Three miles. It's a beginner paddle but gotta start somewhere. To all noobs I think this is a great way to start kayaking. Myself included.
Rob.

Offline 1hunter

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2012, 11:06:07 PM »
Rocket,
I liked your post and thankyou for your concern. I have one little issue with it though. Experianced or not I hate to see yet another set of regulations, rules, certs and so on. I intend to take every bit of advice I can get from you and any other waterman I can get. But I respectfully disagree with the idea of telling me what ocean I can go on and what paper I need to have to do it. Yes ...cowboy. Please dont rope off the last great wilderness dude.

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2012, 07:38:59 AM »
Ho granpa relax, no color coded areas. But I can tell your ignorance about the importance of policing ourselves, thats ok some day you will learn, I hope.

lukem5

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2013, 09:27:47 AM »
WELL I say le em jump in feet first and if they don't make it well its natural selection and more fish for us.

Offline Shark Hunter

• Life is Good!
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2014, 10:44:24 AM »
My name is Daron,
I'm a noob. Just bought my first Kayak last year. A Ocean Kayak Trident 14. I live in Kentucky and do all my fishing in Florida for sharks.I mainly just use my Kayak it to Yak out my baits. Just wanted to Join up and meet some of you guys and Learn. ;)
I've already screwed up and posted this in the wrong section. :o
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:45:58 AM by Shark Hunter »

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2017, 05:38:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Opelu Kala?