Author Topic: Custom Fish Bags and Fabric Work  (Read 6107 times)

Offline Jimmy

Custom Fish Bags and Fabric Work
« on: January 06, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »
Whats up all.  Just thought I would help everyone out with their fish storage solution.  A good friend of mine, guy holding hebi in the picture, is a professional fabric worker.  He made the custom seats for my boat, and my custom sized fish bags.  He owns his own small side business called TK customs.  He has given me the ok to give out his info, so the fishing world can get their hands on some custom fishbags for boats, kayaks, or any kind of fishing.  Just let him know that Jimmy told you to call him.
Name: Travis Kam
Company: TK customs
Phone:  808-392-2184
Blue Water Hunter

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
Re: Custom Fish Bags and Fabric Work
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 04:37:32 PM »
Thanks man. I need a new kayak fish bag. john from go bananas had some cool costum fish bags but i think he is all out. i will give your friend a call aloha. Boogie-D

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Offline Mr. SNUFFALUPAGUS

• Sailing off to find humility. I can't find any :)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 07:22:30 AM »
I have a small one that straps to my bow, it will handle anything up to 41"
it's made by CFS.  You know what else would work as a fish bag that some of you may have laying around at home? a padded surfboard paddle bag, these come in sizes 6' to 10' and they actually insulate pretty well. if you have a worn out one laying around give it a try and see.

Offline Jimmy

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 05:52:38 PM »
Travis is also making small sea anchors (parachutes) for kayaks.  He made mine for my boat and it works perfect.  Used it last weekend in 25 mph wind (gusts over 40mph), it held my 19 foot boat at a ssslllloooowwww drift.  Caught a lot of Nabeta.
Blue Water Hunter

OahuDave

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 07:09:28 PM »
I assume he can make the front zipper ones? Something like the pic here. I think it would be a lot easier to slide the fish in than deal with a side zipper. Still no clue how to rig it to the kayak and make it reachable.

Lemme know, also need a drift anchor.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 08:20:42 AM »
thats the exact same bag I'm using.

it's plenty reachable in the bow like that.

OahuDave

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 08:23:29 AM »
Where you get Jesse? I think GB has em for like $75?

Offline Jimmy

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:04:23 AM »
he can make anything.  Totally custom work.  GB has a lot of different products, but they are very pricey.  Last time I was there the cheapest fish bag was $159.
Blue Water Hunter

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 03:37:48 PM »
Check out Kayakfishingstuff.com
and look at the Creative feathers studio  (CFS) fish bag.  If I recall it cost me about 70 dollars and works great, as it's intended specifically for kayaks.
however... it could be a bit bigger and if I had the cash, personally  I'd be looking to Jimmy's friend to create an 18" longer copy of it   same wedge shape and final open end width but with straight sides after the first 41"  and an extra set of tie downs on each side, more insulation.  and carry straps that basket the bag for better weight rating.  hmmmmm... I wonder what that would cost...

I also Have Kayakfishing stuff's delux drift anchor, works well.

I sorce most of my rigging items from KFS,  the only sorce I have locally for must have kayak odds and ends is valley isle marine (and God... are they expensive... $3.00 for a wellnut and a stainless steel machine screw?!  30 bucks for a pair of angled flushmount rod holders?... ) and half the time they are out of what I want anyway.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 03:43:18 PM by JesseJ »

OahuDave

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 06:02:57 PM »
I will check that site out and see what they have and prob check into Jimmy's friend and see what he could make. I know Jon wants one, maybe we could get some designs together and have him give us a rate based on however many people would buy one. Maybe get a little deal.

Same with drift anchor hopefully, those are prob easier to make than the bags. I pretty much want it as long as the bow, from stern to just past my pole holders so I can hold that 4' mahimahi I am going to land in a few weeks. :)

Ahnkochee

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 06:22:29 PM by Ahnkochee »

OahuDave

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 06:23:06 PM »
AlphaDog made an offer earlier on that one. Haven't heard anything on it yet. :)

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 07:55:12 AM »
Looks like something we would be interested in. Gotta check with my brother to see if it's what we want. Thanks for the info.

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline AlohaDan

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 09:11:06 AM »
If your ever in a position talking to a kayak mfg about kayak design, the yak bags here are an example you want to site. as an undesirable necessity in current designs.

They sit high raising the CG and creating unstability.

They are exposed to the sun. Even insulated they can get warm.

And like Jessie notes are too small.

They increase your wind surface, and in heavy seas can get knocked around. Think about getting caught out with one of these buggars sitting on top.

It's the location created by current designs that is the problem, primarily related to hatch location and inadequate hatch size.

There are only two yaks on the market that have specific internal fish boxes. And one is from South Africa, again with a too small a storage area.

Don't chuckle. Someday you will be talking to a rep. Mention internal fish storage. Note that with an internal fish box you still put a bag inside of it so it keeps the yak clean, and doubles as a fish carrier on the way home.

I'm double placing this in "What you want in a kayak thread". I put it here also due to discussion of a bag characteristics.

Gave South Africa World Cup a run. Next up Brazil

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 09:23:51 AM »
Yeah. I don't like the fact that the bags sit on top of the yak, but we don't have another place for it. The Cobra Tandem had a huge hatch that we used to put our fish bag in. It was easily accessible, had loads of room was very stable, BUT the tandem is a bear to paddle when it's windy. Hope one day someone will be talking to a kayak mfg and will be mentioning this.

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Ahnkochee

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 07:54:28 PM »
I use a 18" x 36" insulated fish bag but I cheat, I have a canoe.   ;)

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 01:05:23 PM »

yeah... wit one "old fut" gasoline motor. 

You know what works well as a fish bag and some of you may have laying around?
a padded short surfboard travel case.

Ahnkochee

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 08:14:26 PM »
My board bag still get one board inside.  Even with my disability I still feel I have an unfair advantage with motor, that's why I never enter the tournament even though I got an invite and okay from Rocket.  I'll fish and post, and hopefully join some of you offshore one day but my conscience baddah me with my motor as far as the tournament. 
Jesse you called Cash-n-Carry about their Anchovy yet?
You know Curtis Powers?

Offline OCStripeBass

• Team Clam Bed straight outta jerz
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 10:22:34 AM »

Thats the one I got! Is it Lincoln from eBay? He actually sold me one when I lost the auction for a discount. Awesome guy!

Ahnkochee

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 12:14:22 PM »

Thats the one I got! Is it Lincoln from eBay? He actually sold me one when I lost the auction for a discount. Awesome guy!

Same thing, I lost the bid but he let me have it for my high bid price on a second chance offer, positive feedback rightly earned!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 10:43:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

papio