Author Topic: Whale proceedures.  (Read 4956 times)

Offline Mr. SNUFFALUPAGUS

• Sailing off to find humility. I can't find any :)
Whale proceedures.
« on: February 19, 2008, 07:16:21 AM »
Now, I haven't specifically seen Yak fishermen doing this -
BUT we all need to remember that in the eyes of the law we Yak drivers are considered "vessles" just like any sail or human powered watercraft. This being said... WE MUST OBSERVE THE 100 YARD LIMIT AROUND ANY MARINE MAMMAL in the water.

meaning: chasing whales to get closer is illeagal.  ( I see plenty of rec yakers doing this, so lets set an example as yak pros and follow da' law) 

if a whale suddenly pops up to blow inside the 100 yard "whale free zone" around your yak, you MUST as powerboats do - stop and wait for the animal to clear the 100 yard area. meaning you stop, and put your paddle in your lap and wait for him to move on.  if you are fishing and it's clear that the whale may entagle your lines (epecially a problem while trolling) it is adviseable to reel in your lines and secure them until the beast moves on. when under way you can run your pattern back out.

If you wish to get close to whales, it's adviseable to do as above, get 100 yards out and stop and drift. being intelligent and curious creatures, Whales have a habit of coming to check out kayakers and canoes and will cruise right up to your Yak sometimes if the mood strikes them and eyeball you this can be a very exciting and adrenilin inspiring experiance to say the least. they like yaks and canoes but they prefer to avoid powerboats. This letting them come close is fine, if the WHALE chooses to break the 100 yard cordon and say hello thats his buisness and choice. However chasing them can irritate the whale and he may display his irritation.
Also Remember - (on maui anyways) there are treehugger types and somtimes Federal wildlife officials onshore equiped with powerful spotting scopes armed with cell phones ready to cite or report mariners who carlessly or intentionally get too close to whales (yakers included.) this can be very costly

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
Re: Whale proceedures.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:15:19 PM »
I only do one thing when the whales are near... get as far away as possible. Sharks trail whales... Big sharks!

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:27:59 AM »
I suspected that, especialy during whale breeding season.  the big tiger that came calling on my day one tourny run was probably a whale trailer. he was VERY big, I hooked him, and he chewed me off about 200 feet from the yak - so I never got close enough to really eyeball him but when he was cruising the surface towing me prior to chew off I estimate dorsal to tail was a good 12 feet...  so add some footage from dorsal to snout and you got one BIG bugga... :o

I personaly try to avoid the whales like the plauge while fishing (I've seen them enough to satisfy what little treehugger is in me)   but the south shore of maui is LOADED with the darned things.
one thing I do like is listening to them sing through my hull when I'm offshore and alone. I wonder what they are chatting about? ;D

Offline aieaboy

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:46:22 AM »
Whales are cool and i'd love to free dive on one but when i'm fishing I go the opposite direction when I see those monsters. Last thing I need is to hook one by accident or pique the interest of his hungry tiger shark entourage.

Offline Astro

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:08:48 AM »
can i ask why are sharks following whales???

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 06:22:38 AM »
to cull the old, sick, and wounded.  possibly predate newborn calves, snack on possible stillborn calves,
at the very least get some nutritious after birth placenta action at a birthing. A whale is a very rich food scource for a shark should they be in the right place and the right time to take advantage of any of the above scenarios. a tiger won't make a run at a heathy adult whale - but sure will attack any of the above with a vengance.

Offline flipmode967o6

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 10:15:11 PM »
hmmm if im anywhere near a whale, id probly...........freak out, hoping theres no other whales around to make me huli, especially with crazy big SNUFFLEUPAGUS sharks trailing them.

Offline obz

• wan 2 be hanapaa
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 11:40:36 PM »
kinda a old topic, just wanted to shae a recent whale encounter i had.

it was about 2 weeks ago i went out with a friend at kawaihae. the action was really slow. iwas paddling and notice a good size bait  ball, desprit for a livey i stop and drop down my rig as does matt. he hooks in to an opelu and gets one up. right then i get some thing i let it swimm around hoping for more takers. as im bringing it up a mother and calf whale surface about 40 feet directly behind me. it was so loud i almost jumped out of my seat. so rattled and scrambling to get the opelu up i forgot i had another line out behind me. about 30 seconds later i hear my TLD 20 slowly start to go off. i franticaly turned around and brought in my line. luckily the hooks didnt sink in. i think the whale had just rubbed against the line. in the midst of things my bait rod had gone dead. looked at the tip and had the line wrapped around the second eye, bummer lost my whole rig. oh well atleast the whales passed by with no injury.

Offline rickypak

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 12:12:38 AM »
hwile i was out at ala moana with a friend, he said he saw a whale...but i think he was lying.

Offline obz

• wan 2 be hanapaa
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 12:16:08 AM »
get choke over here. last time i went out i had 1 breach about 70-80 yards in front of me but they were only in 90 feet of water.

Ahnkochee

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 02:24:50 AM »
In Maui waters they are almost impossible to avoid get choke, used to take my workboat regularly from Lahaina to Manele, Lana'i, they are all over the place.  You ever smell whale breathe when they blow close by and you stay downwind?  There is nothing more hauna smelling than whale halitosis.  :o  Another reason to avoid them. 

Offline obz

• wan 2 be hanapaa
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 07:46:33 AM »
i saecond that those buggas is BAD. thery are in dire need of altoids.

Offline Kayaking Bob

• Fishing, Trolling, Sailing
    • KayakingBob
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 07:50:34 AM »
JesseJ doesn't chase them, he trolls for them (or so it seemed)!

The were all over him.  I guess they like him.  :)

Kayaking Bob

Offline obz

• wan 2 be hanapaa
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 07:59:54 AM »
oh s%^& thats nuts, those things are enormous

Ahnkochee

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 08:06:32 AM »
JesseJ doesn't chase them, he trolls for them (or so it seemed)!
The were all over him.  I guess they like him.  :)

oh s%^& thats nuts, those things are enormous

Are you talking about Jesse's nuts?  ??? Maybe that's why those cow whales like him.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:21:03 AM by Ahnko Honu »

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 10:04:28 AM »
You too much Uncle  :D :D :D

Offline Keoki

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 05:43:38 AM »
Last time I went out, the whales almost ran me over.  They were so close I could hear them singing loudly from above water.  I was sure that I was going to get to see a whale pass under the yak on my fishfinder.  Not sure how that would register on my Humminbird, don't think they have a fish symbol that big  :D
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
Henry David Thoreau

Offline scupperpro

• If you fish, they will come. . .
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 05:01:20 PM »
Awesome whale pic.  Kind of scarry seeing how big it is.
If you fish, they will come. . .
Penn Reels are No Ka Oi!

Offline GeofWA09

• Can't teach that!
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 08:59:36 PM »
that was about the same distance when 2Quarts and i went out about 3 weeks ago.

Offline *Denzell808*

• Are we fishing or catching?
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 08:39:39 PM »
to get the whales away i just tap my kayak enough for them to here the they just move some where else!
 i love whales
Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 07:35:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Aha