Author Topic: Whale proceedures.  (Read 4916 times)

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
Re: Whale proceedures.
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 09:25:23 PM »
to get the whales away i just tap my kayak enough for them to here the they just move some where else!
 i love whales
and that works?  how close have you been to whales?  that might make them more curious.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline wetokole

• Ultra Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 08:53:53 AM »
i just tap my kayak
I don't anything you do goin deter them from swimming towards you..I think they the ones goin tap(more like whack)your kayak if anything...  :D

Offline Chucko

• Nebraska AquaHunter-USN RET
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 12:33:21 PM »
If i ever see one, i will say cool and turn around and paddle away-faraway from them. To big to play with in a yak. Have seen plenty while i was sailing ships.
Nebraska Aquahunter member since 2010

Offline AlohaDan

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 05:14:20 PM »
Whale Sanctuary hearings will be held in Hilo Aug 10.I don't know location.  In Kona Aug 11 at Keauhou Beach Hotel. Think both start at 6:00PM
Problem is it appears they will hold boats in the sanctuary liable for breaking the law on approach to whales in the proposed sanctuary (shallow waters inside 100 fathom line). In effect banning boat traffic (fishing) as who wants to face a $10K fine?

Gave South Africa World Cup a run. Next up Brazil

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
    • Writs of a Drifting Son
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 05:26:42 PM »
How will it be enforced?  They already have only an occasional presence on the water, so I don't see that much will change for the fisherman out on the water.  Is it really very difficult to navigate away from whales once they are spotted?  Or even reel up all lines?  Seems like a minor inconvenience to respect such unique fauna in our seas. 

Let the fauna keep the mana.  There's a catch-phrase...

Thanks for the tip on the Hilo meeting, I'll attend if I'm able.

Offline evan b

• Ultra Member
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 06:14:50 PM »
to get the whales away i just tap them on their heads enough for them to here the they just move some where else!
 i love whales   ;D 8) :-*

Offline *Denzell808*

• Are we fishing or catching?
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 06:23:05 PM »
even some teasing hahahah  :D
Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

Ahnko Honu

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 07:55:05 PM »

Offline takoman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 07:58:05 PM »
if you like ride one whale go outon furlo friday. ;D

Offline evan b

• Ultra Member
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 11:55:42 PM »
jail whales

Offline morninchew

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2015, 06:29:55 AM »
I was fishing the drop off awhile back in like 80-120 ft of water.  My eyes are my depth finder so I don't know exactly how deep. I could see three spouts coming my way from the east following the ledge. I figured I should bring up my bottom fishing rig and move to shallower. I'm in about 70-80 ft deep now and here they come right at me like a Mack truck. So I start paddling in shallower yet again seems like 60 or so I can almost make out the bottom. They go down and two pop up outside of me like 100 feet away but where is the third one? The whole time I'm banging my yak with my paddle so they know where I'm at.
I look down and she a huge shadow under me and look this " teenaged" whale right in the eye ! It was about 15 ft below me checking me out   So I bang even harder on my yak I don't want him popping up under neath me. It pops up up about 50 ft outside of me and I am outta there!! I do now recall the smell it was Hauna and I even got some mist. Scary yet magical moment. Those things are smart! I definitely felt a connection looking that whale in the eye.  I need a fishing partner solo is too scary ! Esp cuz the shark attack that just happened near here :o
- Kimo
"There are good lures and there are old lures, but there is no such thing as good-old lures."

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2017, 03:15:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

nunu cnr 2-15