Author Topic: West Marine  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Mikey

West Marine
« on: October 12, 2009, 07:50:34 AM »
You just can't beat their warranty.  Especially on electronics. I have gone through two radios and both have been replaced, no questions asked and in about the time I turned around to browse one of the aisles. I had even brought the wrong reciept for one of the radios, no prob.. looked up the sale on my member card and pau. 

I just wished I had bought my current  FF from them.  It wasn't until later that I learned that you can special order. Ah well. 

Mikey
just stoked to be out there.

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
Re: West Marine
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »
Remember to always print out what you want from westmarine.com before you go in. They will honor the lower price from the Internet if it is lower. We have a few coupons for $15 off on purchase over $100, thanks to Paz (I think he got them from Lenny), but the coupons expire on October 31. Let me know if you want one and I'll try to get one to you. Kevin

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline evan b

• Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 02:30:20 PM »
THE place for electronics, make sure to get the extended warranty...its worth it!

Offline Rob

• Ultra Member
  • AH European Correspondent
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 08:35:54 PM »
Just got a piranhaMAX 160 FF from West Marine. At the internet price and with a $15 off coupon from the fishing and seafood festival it came in at under $95 including the extended warranty. Bargain.

FYI they've got floating VHF radios on sale, I think they were $180 or $190.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:14:07 PM by robhall »
If it was easy it wouldn't be this much fun...

Offline wildirish

• Ultra Member
  • Underwater Rugby Brother
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 09:31:16 PM »
Thanks for the heads up ... LOL I PM'd you before I read the posts ::)
E Malama I Ka Wai Ola  Protect our waters FOR LIFE

Always leave the beach better than you found it, respect the locals,
respect all, so those who do not respect, can see the way. You will never receive what you do not give. Live Pono

Offline Paz

• Ultra Member
  • Tandem Kayak Fishing: Never die alone
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 11:18:55 PM »
Just got a piranhaMAX 160 FF from West Marine. At the internet price and with a $15 off coupon from the fishing and seafood festival it came in at under $95 including the extended warranty. Bargain.

FYI they've got floating VHF radios on sale, I think they were $180 or $190.

Whoa, that is a good price! Now you'll be able to see the ground you've been covering...Filimented fish don't stand a chance. LOL

If you get a chance, take pics of the install and post em.  It's always nice to see how other's rig their boats.  Also, here's a good thread on the battery that we use for our fishfinder (we have the same one).  It lasts us about 2-3 outings on the rechargeable eneloop batteries from costco
http://forum.aquahunters.com/index.php?topic=330.0

Lastly, here's a thread that started out as a discussion on that particular model.
http://forum.aquahunters.com/index.php?topic=2402.0

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:33:49 AM by alphadog808 »
Tandem Kayak Fishing:  Never die alone

Offline Rob

• Ultra Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 08:07:54 AM »
Thanks for the info. Not sure when I'm going to get round to installing it, maybe this weekend.

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 09:01:57 AM »
Thanks for the info. Not sure when I'm going to get round to installing it, maybe this weekend.

Sweet, now we all have one :)  i still need to pick up another battery, cuz mine is lost
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline Rob

• Ultra Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 02:03:17 PM »
Sweet, now we all have one :)  i still need to pick up another battery, cuz mine is lost

Yep, no more radioing to ask how deep we are. So you didn't find the battery? That sucks.

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »
goin to use the battery that is for the live well in the meantime.  or could take the one of my motorcycle ;)

Offline Rob

• Ultra Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 06:00:55 PM »
What are the pros and cons of mounting the transducer inside the yak verses in a scupper hole. I want to do this right first time.

Offline Rob

• Ultra Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 05:25:36 PM »
More praise for West Marine. My FF has been playing up for a few weeks then while trying to bodge a fix I managed to completely bust the transducer connection. Took the whole thing back to WM and they did a straight replacement no questions asked. They even did it under the manufacturers warrenty so I still have extended warrenty. Top service. 

Offline GeofWA09

• Can't teach that!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 08:05:32 PM »
for your transducer question. there are a few things that i have found. one outside is best for minor temp changes where fish like to hide. and more accurate readings if you know how sonar works and how sensative it is. outside is best. so with that said if you get a humming bird FF they make a specific transducer that goes through the scupper holes. also for those that have installed it through the hull i am sure you have done a good job of the install. bust somepeople are impatient and create bubbles in the epoxy which can give you false reading sometimes.  also weaker sonar systems are not specifically made to penatrate hulls. so sometimes the "echo" can be too weak to be received. with my 160 hummingbird i have seen very little difference in the 2 transducers so far mainly just the temp. good luck

Offline Westsidesurfer

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 04:13:31 PM »
FYI, my Garmin 440S died last week. Took it to WM on Sunday, they tested it and said it was defective but had to call PLUS on Monday to see if they would replace it. I called WM on Monday and said they would have a replacement in for me today. I went down there today and now they say I have to send it in for repair instead of having it replaced!!! The PLUS warranty says "repair/replace".

I thought they would have replaced it last Sunday but had to wait until Monday for a reply from PLUS so I canceled fishing with my friend on Monday. I was asked to go with another friend today but I told him that I had to pick up my replacement today so he went by himself and caught a mahi. I told another friend that I would have my new FF ready by Saturday so we could go but now gonna cancel again! I could have started this whole repair thing almost a week ago and saved a bunch of time and gas if WM had told me it would be a repair instead of a replacement last Sunday! NOT HAPPY!!!!! >:( That 3 times in a week that I had to cancel plans with friends and I hate to do that to them! At least one guy made it out and caught something good!

Bottom line is don't just expect WM to replace anything, no questions asked. They may make you send it in for repair before they replace it, even though when they sell you the warranty they make it sound like you can just walk in and get a replacement.

Offline da Pirates

• Sometimes we catch!
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 06:25:26 AM »
Hmmmm, sounds like the service I got!  About a month before we got out new 'yak we purchased all the accessories for it.  One was a Lowrance chartplotter/fishfinder + extended warranty from West Marine and I didn't open the box 'til three weeks later and when I tried to assemble the unit to the bracket, the knobs were clearly the wrong thread size.  My buddy tried to return it and "Lenny" said that wasn't the problem and that the bracket needed to be replaced.  He "Lenny" said that he could contact the Lowrance rep and get one for us.  At this point I'm thinking that the bracket is not the problem, but oh well.  Anyways, he never contacted the rep or called us back.  This went on several times for a couple of weeks.   >:( >:( >:(  I contacted the company myself and got replacement knobs shipped to me within a week and solved the problem.  The excuses he gave to us are so lame, buggahs should fire him. 

Fast forward to trial day.... well, the unit turned out to be defective itself and the screen blanked out after a few hours.  I took it back to West Marine and got service from someone else who exchanged it with no problems at all.  We had already purchased the extended warranty from them and that was tacked on to the 3 year manufacturers warranty.  So we're actually covered for 5 years.  The "other guy" told me that as long as the unit is under "manufacturers" warranty they would replace NOT repair if anything should go wrong again.

Lessons learned... don't deal with Lenny over there.  He says one thing and doesn't follow through.   >:( >:( >:(
Jerk 'um up... das how we play!

Offline Westsidesurfer

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 09:27:33 AM »
Lenny wasn't there the last couple times that I went down there so maybe they did get rid of him. A guy named John "helped" me this time. The first time I took it down was 2 days before the 1st year ran out but he told me to come back yesterday, 3 days after the 1 year anniversary of the sale date. I wonder if the difference of a couple days made the difference between a repair instead of replacement. If so, I'm even more pissed off now! I gotta check if my manufacturer's warranty is for 1 or 3 years like yours.

Offline cliffs2yak

• Ultra Member
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 07:19:52 PM »
With my FF in repair, I visted West Marine last week to pick up a GPS.  Figure I can also use it for traveling.  I did some research and finally settled on a Garmin GPSMAP 78sc.  Lenny ended up helping me and honored the lowest price match from an ad I got online.  Additional props goes to Lenny of honoring the ad's low price and not tacking on the shipping charge. 

c2y

Offline Westsidesurfer

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 12:42:56 PM »
Update. WM was supposed to send my 440S out for repair on Monday. I called yesterday (Tuesday), and they said they didn't send it yet!  >:(I asked John if the unit had been defective within the manufacturer's one year warranty, would it have just been replaced? He said yes! I snapped and told him that I brought it in a couple of days before the one year was up but he told me to wait!  >:(He said he would call me back. John called back and said that they had a new 441S waiting for me to pick up!   ;DI went down and got it before they changed their story again. Going out tomorrow to try it out. Anybody else going to be out there? The Solunar calendar says tomorrow should be one of the best days of the month and the winds will be light.

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 12:54:28 PM »
he was supposed to get me a new ff so i could turn mine in under warranty, since they hade none in stock.....was going to call me when done...that was a month ago.

Offline Westsidesurfer

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 12:57:54 PM »
he was supposed to get me a new ff so i could turn mine in under warranty, since they hade none in stock.....was going to call me when done...that was a month ago.
Better give him a call! I had to keep calling him even though he was supposed to call me! What model? 441S?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2017, 04:53:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

JollyGreen's First Ono!