Author Topic: Common Courtesy  (Read 3500 times)

Offline saltcreekcalico

• Ultra Member
Common Courtesy
« on: October 16, 2009, 07:28:15 AM »
An incident yesterday motivated me to bring this up.  To all fishermen, we should strive to have a little more respect for the other people out on the water whether they be on boats, diving, or on kayaks.  I have noticed that many kayak fishermen lack common sense and respect for others space while out on the water.  On more than one occasion i've seen yakkers paddle up on someones line as their fishing or hooked up and try and fish right on top of them.  Even seen em do it to boats. Yesterday was a great example.  This was our first day out since the end of the Makahiki and we wanted to try something different to make it fun, so i challenged Andy to a Damashi Battle.  We got out super early and were hooking shallow bottom in 50 feet of water when couple guys on kayaks paddle right up on us, noone around for miles, nothing special about the spot we were fishing or what we were fishing for, but still they paddled to within a hundred yards and started fishing right by us.  No shaka, no greeting, just the stare down as we sat there and fished.  Me and Andy tried paddling away from the guys but they kept following behind us and fishing in our footprints.  We quickly got over this so we decided to head out to deeper water in hopes of a pelagic.  Of course the guys followed us and one of em ended up hooking a small ono right behind Andy.  We hoped this would be our chance to ditch em while they were hooting and hollering over the ono.  We started fishing far away from them but one of the guys trolls right up on me as im sitting there to within 25 yards and starts trying to fish right on my live bait.  Again no shaka, no greeting, no respect.  I had enough by this point and had to send him home to mama but i wanna give everyone reading this fair warning.  I'm not a caged animal on exhibit in the zoo that you can stare at.  Be very careful. Theres no bars between us and this animal bites.  If you are out on the water and you see someone you don't know and you want to talk story or see whats biting don't stare guys down and don't follow them around, noone likes that.  My recommendation give people lots of space to do their thing.  Personally i'm out there to fish not socialize and i love the silence and solitude when no ones around.  I can easily go the whole day without saying a word to anyone including my brother and i'm not very happy if someone messes with my vibe.  If you really wanna say what up, make eye contact from a distance (100 yard minimum) and throw up a shaka.  If the guy shakas back, reel all your lines in, then paddle up to talk story.  Don't ever, ever paddle right up on someone fishing with your lines out.  That shows complete disrespect for the person already there and can be dangerous if either one of you were to hook up in close proximity to the other.  To the guy rocking the TW's that got chewed out yesterday i hope u read this and learned something.  If u were to pull that one in the wrong place to the wrong guy on a boat, all they might find is a kayak floating.

Offline hugh janus

• Rock!!!
Re: Common Courtesy
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 08:02:41 AM »
damn that sucks! Ifeel your frustration.  I had to anchor the other week while lookig for onos cuz the current was ripping.  While waiting out the current a boat with a guy and son motor to withing 15 yards of us and starts bottom fishing!  I wanted to start yelling at the guy, but I'm a typical asian that keeps it all bottled up, then rants about it to others.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!
party like a ROCK star!!!!

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 08:19:45 AM »
We have to agree with this x10. We LOVE kayak fishing and we love to socialize and talk about kayak fishing, BUT we usually don't like to kayak fish AND socialize on the water. If we wanted to do both, we'd get a 3 or 4 man kayak and take people with us. In fact, the first (not sure how many years) we didn't fish with ANYONE else, we used to hide our catch in our kayak, and we'd rarely talk to anyone on the beach. Only last year did we fish with other people (Rocket, Uso, and Mike Mahi, then the Cho Bros, and finally Paz and Jon and Matt this year), and they're the perfect fishing partners because they're around, but they never ride your jock. Some people like to fish w/a bunch of people, but like Stevo said, respect each other's space and things should work out.

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline hugh janus

• Rock!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 09:31:28 AM »
What did the gfuy say after being chewed out?

Ahnkochee

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 12:29:10 PM »
Amen to that, even when I fish with my son we are at least 100 yards apart and he don't come by unless he's thirsty (I get da cooler), and he asks first or I invite him in.   I too fish for peace, solitude, and relaxation catching being a bonus.  Socializing is done after I'm in on shore and all gear cleaned and put away.  In fact the most socializing I do is here in the forum. 

Offline Ken

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 01:28:11 PM »
Amen to that, even when I fish with my son we are at least 100 yards apart and he don't come by unless he's thirsty (I get da cooler), and he asks first or I invite him in.   I too fish for peace, solitude, and relaxation catching being a bonus.  Socializing is done after I'm in on shore and all gear cleaned and put away.  In fact the most socializing I do is here in the forum. 

You really made an exception when we went out fishing in your canoe  :) I feel special  ;D
aka Muskie-Bait

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 301 species

Offline whipit

• Any day fishing is better than a day at work.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 04:36:31 PM »
Sorry if I got too close for comfort during the Papio tournament!   :D

nomoretime4fish

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 04:59:21 PM »
wow sounds like a SNUFFLEUPAGUS move by the other guys.  maybe next time you should follow them around, make like merry go round.  see how they like em. 

Offline afyaker

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 09:51:12 PM »
Hasn't happened to me in the kayak yet but plenty of time during bass tournaments on the mainland.  Or crappie season was the worst, all you had to do was hook one and you had 20 boats on you.  Gets really old quick..  Can't imagine why someone would want to be so close with all that ocean available.   ::)

Ahnkochee

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 10:03:35 PM »
Stevo, I believe you & Andy have gained some fame for your fishing prowess and numerous tournament wins so now you are being stalked by these guys with hand held GPS trying to discover all your numerous ko'a to mark.   Absolutely no class on their part.   :-[

Offline takoman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 10:14:23 PM »
Stevo you should have took a picture so we know who to look out for. If i recognized the kooks i would have to have a talk with them!! Thats UNCOOL!!

Offline saltcreekcalico

• Ultra Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 07:13:26 AM »
Little bit of a pet peeve of mine.  i'm just super paranoid about getting snagged with a hook after seeing the video of the guy getting snagged while fighting a thresher shark in california.  Another yakker trolled really close to him and his lure rode up the guy fighting the fish line and hooked him in the chin.  My good friend gilbert nearly got hooked by a boat that trolled to close once too.  I really don't mind talking story with people but i don't like it if people wanna just lurk around or treat you like a FAD.  If the guys had shaka'd from the start and paddled up and said hi i would have been way more friendly but noone ever seems to do that :(  Whenever i paddle up to someone i always bring all my lines in cause nothing good can come of you trolling too close to someone.  Your lines could tangle which is always a nightmare especially with power pro.  If one of you hooks up, you could tangle the other guys line and cause him to lose the fish.  Or you could paddle up right next to someone and catch a fish, which might make them bitter if they didn't get a bite.  Or one of you could hook a marlin and it could explode out of the water right into the other guys lap.  Or you could hook your homie in the chin!  I think a good procedure if you see someone and want to talk story is to make eye contact from afar, acknowledge and greet them with a wave or shaka, then the other guy has the option to call you over.  When he does, Reel your lines in and go say hi and make a new friend, but show people at least this basic respect.  This is how we met Matt the Iceman.  Noone wants to be treated like their someone elses personal FAD. 

Stevo, I believe you & Andy have gained some fame for your fishing prowess and numerous tournament wins so now you are being stalked by these guys with hand held GPS trying to discover all your numerous ko'a to mark.   Absolutely no class on their part.   Embarrassed

I am not the owner of the ocean so anyone can fish these places but if u do notice how the hawaiians fish it, you'll see guys cooperating and taking turns and giving each other plenty room.  On thursday i paddled away from a guy who was hooked up right next to me.  I was in the spot and had just got a nice one but the wind had caused me to drift a little closer than was safe.  He was on so i cleared my line and gave him room to get his fish.

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 12:25:17 PM »
sounds very rude.. sorry to hear about your bummer day.. i like to fish for the solitutde and if some one did that to me i would be pissed to. I have tried to meet people on the water who have paddled away from me like that.. it was easy and clear... they did not want to talk... so i went my own way. I cant imagiune trying to chase a guy down who wants to be at peace in his own sanctuary. I do like the occasional safety meeting on the water with my bros but when we get close its clear... we alwys reel up the lines..

in tournament fishing we like to try and catch our partners following mahis but you have to be very careful not to interfere with the fish thats all ready caught. and above all dont do anything to endager your partner or yourself..

I remeber the first time micah and i met rocket... i wanted to see who it was. so i paddled at him and he was coming in my directions.. i waved the paddle like i usually do and reeled up my lines.. as i got closer i could see who it was... i gave the shaka and called out his name.. he reeled up his lines and got close to me... we met for the first time and talked story.... Ike gave micah some fresh bait.. way cool.... then we headed our way and he went his....we put our lines back out again after we were away from eachother... been friends ever since...

every person is different out on the water and in different moods at any given time... some people just dont want to meet you or maybe not at that moment.. if you try to meet some one on the water and he paddles away from you let it be...  even if you wave at him, give him the shaka and pull up all your lines.. repect
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 03:21:08 PM by AH_Moderator »

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 01:47:38 PM »
Glad you got this started, I like to fish w/friends who are around but not too close. But when guys I dont know come paddling up to me with no invite it shows no courtesy and ignorance.

Its all fine and dandy on the shore but please keep your distance while on water, for your saefty as well as mine (I no like break my hand on your mouth! ;);D

I only paddle up to Travis to hook his onos but thats about it!

Lets all pay attention out there! AH style! Mahalo Stevo!

Offline hugh janus

• Rock!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 07:00:39 AM »

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

hahahaha! Sometimes get plenty fish around HJ buoy.  The boats know!  Too bad hugh no can shoot um! :'(

Offline Mr. SNUFFALUPAGUS

• Sailing off to find humility. I can't find any :)
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 08:42:24 AM »

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

hahahaha! Sometimes get plenty fish around HJ buoy.  The boats know!  Too bad hugh no can shoot um! :'(

no need shoot um, skindivah...

just make like you are diving on some fish, and instead stick one of these babys to their hull.
gurrans ballbarrans you won't have a problem with that boat again  ;D

Ahnkochee

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 09:38:17 AM »

Stevo, I believe you & Andy have gained some fame for your fishing prowess and numerous tournament wins so now you are being stalked by these guys with hand held GPS trying to discover all your numerous ko'a to mark.   Absolutely no class on their part.   

I am not the owner of the ocean so anyone can fish these places but if u do notice how the hawaiians fish it, you'll see guys cooperating and taking turns and giving each other plenty room.  On thursday i paddled away from a guy who was hooked up right next to me.  I was in the spot and had just got a nice one but the wind had caused me to drift a little closer than was safe.  He was on so i cleared my line and gave him room to get his fish.

I've seen and heard of too many ko'a getting wiped out after getting discovered by unscrupulous fishermen, and without knowing who these guys are or their knowledge or ethics I'd be very leary of even the most friendliest people out there that approach so close when they have millions of squares miles elsewhere to fish but that's just me from personal experience.   Taking turns and giving a ko'a a rest is fine if the other guys share that belief but without knowing this information I personally am much more cautious probably from living Oahu too long az why.  ;)

Offline cliffs2yak

• Ultra Member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 11:21:17 AM »
Camel,

Sorry to hear that it happened to you but thanks for giving them an education.  Hope those jokers don't do it again.  There's lots of jokers out there and best to give them an occassional education to make sure they'll keep it good next time.  The worst experience I had was when I was working on a school of A'hole'hole.  I was three pronging a stringer of them when a joker dove just across from me and aimed his gun into the school and directly at me.  Errrrr!  I surfaced, swam over to him, yanked on his fin, and gestured him to surface.  Gave him a good talking to and he ended up apologizing.  It still bummed my day.  It's the jokers that think they are in the right that worries me even more.

peace,

c2y

Offline gottah catch

• LETS GO HOLO-HOLO
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 07:10:19 AM »
howzit stevo, im a noob and i lookin foward to makin many ah friendships. but yeah i would b piss to if somebody come up and show no respect to me!!! even if i 1 noob. da fact being I always show respect to to everybody, dats how i waz raise!!....but like u said, if u gottah den u gottah put people in check!! ;)..... even 1 noob should kno dis!! but u kno some guyz no moah class.... dey left'em all back in high schoo.... ;D.... everybody we all just gottah show alot of ALOHA!!!!!....peace out!

Offline wetokole

• Ultra Member
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 03:09:57 PM »
Couple of times just few yards from reaching "The ono lane" I had to stop paddling coz the boats diddnt seem they were goin let me in. Do they have the right of way coz we're on kayaks?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2017, 10:41:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Kagami Pic Trick