Author Topic: Common Courtesy  (Read 3589 times)

Offline Mitakuye

Re: Common Courtesy
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 04:03:17 PM »
Not a matter of right of way really. They are in the lane, have some speed going with lines out, should let them pass and then go.

Offline Koanalu

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 04:05:58 PM »
Couple of times just few yards from reaching "The ono lane" I had to stop paddling coz the boats diddnt seem they were goin let me in. Do they have the right of way coz we're on kayaks?

Does it really matter?

Here lie the bones of Silas McVay,
who died defending his right-of-way.
He was right, dead right, as he sailed along,
but he's just as dead as if he were wrong.

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 06:26:51 PM »
Best to show that we know about courtesy and let them pass. With a shaka out just in case. ;D

Offline Mitakuye

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 06:29:05 PM »
Rhen of course there's the overriding rule, first among them all.

Called  the Winnebago rule!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline KChock

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 10:14:12 AM »
I agree w/ the first post & fish solo all the time for the same reasons given.  I have had power boaters occasionally run across my trolled lines (while waving and throwing a huge wake -F_n clueless).

Just wanted to add that we also need to keep an eye out when near shore:  Don't get too close to dunkers/ whippers/ or slide-baiters who are already on a spot if you are yak fishing ...you might find a 12 oz lead barrage -or gunfire- coming your way!  Sometimes shore fishermen go through a lot of prep and effort to get on their spots.  Some of them can't afford kayaks and will never own one.  If you intrude, they might get seriously PISSED.  We have way more options in a yak.

Offline surf-bum

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 05:18:46 PM »

Stevo, I believe you & Andy have gained some fame for your fishing prowess and numerous tournament wins so now you are being stalked by these guys with hand held GPS trying to discover all your numerous ko'a to mark.   Absolutely no class on their part.   

I am not the owner of the ocean so anyone can fish these places but if u do notice how the hawaiians fish it, you'll see guys cooperating and taking turns and giving each other plenty room.  On thursday i paddled away from a guy who was hooked up right next to me.  I was in the spot and had just got a nice one but the wind had caused me to drift a little closer than was safe.  He was on so i cleared my line and gave him room to get his fish.

I've seen and heard of too many ko'a getting wiped out after getting discovered by unscrupulous fishermen, and without knowing who these guys are or their knowledge or ethics I'd be very leary of even the most friendliest people out there that approach so close when they have millions of squares miles elsewhere to fish but that's just me from personal experience.   Taking turns and giving a ko'a a rest is fine if the other guys share that belief but without knowing this information I personally am much more cautious probably from living Oahu too long az why.  ;)

I agree ko'a do need a break. Especially when you have been hitting it often. Letting them recover will allow you to keep catching for years to come. But, when some donkeys jump your spot, it puts it in danger of being wiped out. The guys doing this don't have any intentions of conservation. Its unfortunate. We all work hard to find spots and it sucks when someone rips it off without paying any dues.

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 05:25:11 PM »

Stevo, I believe you & Andy have gained some fame for your fishing prowess and numerous tournament wins so now you are being stalked by these guys with hand held GPS trying to discover all your numerous ko'a to mark.   Absolutely no class on their part.   

I am not the owner of the ocean so anyone can fish these places but if u do notice how the hawaiians fish it, you'll see guys cooperating and taking turns and giving each other plenty room.  On thursday i paddled away from a guy who was hooked up right next to me.  I was in the spot and had just got a nice one but the wind had caused me to drift a little closer than was safe.  He was on so i cleared my line and gave him room to get his fish.

I've seen and heard of too many ko'a getting wiped out after getting discovered by unscrupulous fishermen, and without knowing who these guys are or their knowledge or ethics I'd be very leary of even the most friendliest people out there that approach so close when they have millions of squares miles elsewhere to fish but that's just me from personal experience.   Taking turns and giving a ko'a a rest is fine if the other guys share that belief but without knowing this information I personally am much more cautious probably from living Oahu too long az why.  ;)

I agree ko'a do need a break. Especially when you have been hitting it often. Letting them recover will allow you to keep catching for years to come. But, when some donkeys jump your spot, it puts it in danger of being wiped out. The guys doing this don't have any intentions of conservation. Its unfortunate. We all work hard to find spots and it sucks when someone rips it off without paying any dues.

So true!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2017, 03:17:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Bro in law's First Kayak Fish - Kagami

Posted by on 14 Jul 2009

in
Hawaiian Yak Fish

Cy took our brother in law out to fish in Kona on the yaks and was able to get our bro in law, Tom on his very fist kayak fish. A 15# Kagami. How's that eh? Da buggah get the luck.

0 comment(s)
anything