Author Topic: Takeo Gyotaku Art  (Read 1288 times)

Ahnkochee

Takeo Gyotaku Art
« on: October 18, 2009, 09:42:28 PM »
This is a business of a friend and local boy Laron Takeo Kageyama from Hilo, Big Island a fellow fishing and 'ukulele enthusiast who is also a gifted Gyotaku artist.  I especially like his awesome Gyotaku T-Shirts.  If you're looking for a nice gift for a friend or for yourself these are pretty awesome.  Check Laron out.  Mahalo nui loa & Aloha a hui hou, Ahnko.
http://www.takeogyotaku.com/index.html
http://www.takeogyotaku.com/Gyotaku-Shirts.html

Offline cheehuli

• gotta watch fo da bird piles
Re: Takeo Gyotaku Art
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:56:49 PM »
Wow thats beautiful.  I always wanted to try and do a gyotaku print myself.  Have you ever tried it Uncle?
And it must occur that there will be many fish,  because there is where this water will certainly come,  and the seawater will be healed,  and everything will be alive where the torrent comes. *Ezekiel* 47:9b

Ahnkochee

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:08:02 PM »
I did a few while living on Maui, and also did a bunch for Isaac when he was in elementary school for a school project but haven't done any lately probably not in 5 years.  Basics are easy as long as you have the right paper something thin and flexible yet strong.  Also I found you have to wash the slime off the fish with soap and water first then dry off with paper towels.  When applying the paint I found going from tail towards head worked best getting the paint under the scales then the paint would squeeze back out when paper applied to form the scales perfectly.  Only did single color kine with outlining with a brush afterwards, just amateur kine but came out decent but not anything like Naoki or Takeo.   ;)

Ahnkochee

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 11:20:36 PM »
I was just told by Laron that he will give 20% locals only discount on bulk orders, gotta find out what bulks is and get back.  ::)

Offline cheehuli

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 11:38:47 PM »
Cool.  I figured you musta tried it.  I bet they look a little better than amateur,  judging by the rest of the work you do.  I goin try em on a manini or something to get started.  What kind of paint do you recommend?
And it must occur that there will be many fish,  because there is where this water will certainly come,  and the seawater will be healed,  and everything will be alive where the torrent comes. *Ezekiel* 47:9b

Ahnkochee

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:51:12 AM »
Message from Laron concerning "bulk orders":

Ji,
As for bulk order, it really doesn't have to be a bulk order. I'm probably going to do a Christmas special, so you can tell your club that I'll give them 20% off a shirt, so instead of $20, it's $16. $5 shipping up to 5 shirts in a priority mail envelope. They can email me the order, since my website doesn't allow multiple purchases with calculated shipping. If anyone is interested in any gyotaku, I can also give them a discount, depending on which piece it is.
http://www.takeogyotaku.com/index.html

Offline takoman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 07:56:15 PM »
Where is Laron located??

Ahnkochee

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:18:38 PM »
He stay Hilo

Offline Scooter

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 05:00:32 PM »
Nice work. I think that I'll be putting in a order for Christmas.

Thanks for the lead Uncle.

Aloha

Offline Koanalu

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 01:15:05 PM »
Where is Laron located??

Laron's father is an excellent fisherman and is the person who first showed me the Big Island shoreline fishing ropes when I moved here in 1983.  I still remember the first outing at King's Landing.  I caught a few fish, but only remember the first one, a Popaa.  Actually thinking about it, after my former wife's family, I've known Laron's family longer than anyone else on the Big Island, going back to 1979, several years before I even moved here.

Sorry for the hijack...waxing nostalgic here...good,good memories.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:18:37 PM by Koanalu »

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 05:39:45 PM »
  I going try em on a manini or something to get started.  What kind of paint do you recommend?

I talked with Naoki recently he said the best is 100% acrylic latex...

someone else told me any kind paint will work but i wouldn't want to put any oil based products on something i was going to eat.

sure wished i would have tried fish printing the big head of the 65.5 pound kaku i caught... for a head i guess no problem for use oil base paints as long as you don't make soup with it.

Naoki also said you can get pretty creative with the actual paper. can use cloth: cotton, canvas, denim, will all work as well as recycled brown grocery bags.. tapa bark and other papers and methods can be applied.

I was stoked to see the Takeo Gyotaku Art at the seafood festival and hope to be doing some of my own soon. what a great way to preserve your prized fish and story. to be able to share that with futue generations through art is way cool.

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Offline cheehuli

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 11:03:52 PM »
Mahalos Boogie ;D  I will try that paint you suggested.  Know of a good place to get it.  It is a really cool way to immortalize a great catch or a favorite species of fish....can enjoy even aftah grinding em!

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »
he said any art store get.... ben franklins i think is where he gets his... they also have 100% percent acrylic latex at home depo, ace hardware... good luck cant wait to see your first try and mines too..  Aloha

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Ahnkochee

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 09:52:32 PM »
Cool.  I figured you musta tried it.  I bet they look a little better than amateur,  judging by the rest of the work you do.  I goin try em on a manini or something to get started.  What kind of paint do you recommend?

Sumi or carbon ink is the traditional way of making gyotaku but you can make modern color prints too.  We usually use Acrylic artist's paint from art supply stores like Ben Franklin.  We also got our paper from Ben Franklin a rice paper working well due to flexibility.  Don't use the oil paints though they both come in similar looking tubes so make sure you get the right one.  The acrylic is water based so can be diluted with water to thin since it comes out thick from the tube.  You can mix colors to get a color you want which is especially needed when painting Omilu or Mahimahi with their vivid hues.  I gotta see if I can dig up some of my old gyotaku prints from Maui.  
As mentioned earlier make sure you clean all the slime off fish and dry.  Also make sure the fins are erect for visual effect pinning them in the open position with steel pins or tooth picks.
Here's a sight that give you the basic steps: http://www.kondogyotaku.net/process.html
I would recommend you start with small fish and sumi ink or something similar.  

PS. I don't recommend latex paint from the hardware store.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 09:10:37 AM by Ahnko Honu »

Offline cheehuli

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 12:48:34 AM »
Mahalos for the advice and link Uncle Ji.  I think I got a good idea of how to get started....now,  to defrost and de-slime one manini!

Offline TakeoGyotaku

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 08:59:33 PM »
Hey, my first post! Thanks for the kind words everyone.  Ahnko and I met on an ukulele forum and discovered that we also had fishing in common.  I've known Koanalu for years and run into him at the local fishing store and always look forward to hearing about his latest catches. 

As for my gyotaku art, please email me if you have any questions.  For starters, I use sumi/india ink, the non-toxic form.  Some of the inks out there has toxic chemicals, so beware.  You can also use acrylic paint, the "soft" body ones like the ones from Liquitex that can be found at Ben Franklin or online. This paint can be used to ink the fish, as well as to paint the print.  For good prices and awesome shipping, I order from Blick Art.  I'm still in search for  the perfect paper and have tried the rolls from Hakubundo.  Paper is a long discussion, if you want more info, email me.  There is a short step-by-step instruction on my website takeogyotaku.com.  Email me if you have any questions.

If you are on the Big Island, feel free to hit me up if you want to print your fish.  I haven't yaked in years but am planning to do some SUP fishing soon, perhaps I'll see see some of you out there..help me out if you see me being towed by a sailfish ;)

lkageyama@yahoo.com

Offline Koanalu

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 08:16:51 AM »
Hey, my first post! Thanks for the kind words everyone.  Ahnko and I met on an ukulele forum and discovered that we also had fishing in common.  I've known Koanalu for years and run into him at the local fishing store and always look forward to hearing about his latest catches. 

Welcome aboard Laron!

Ahnkochee

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 01:30:06 PM »
E komo mai braddah Laron.  I like see you be first guy on SUP to catch one Sailfish.

Offline cliffs2yak

• Ultra Member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 03:34:05 PM »
Laron,

On the BI, you bettah run biggah line if you going for sailfish.  ;) 

Welcome aboard!

braddah "JQ"

fishing from the cliffs and off the yak - hence "cliffs2yak."

Offline Azz Izz

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 01:27:46 PM »
in 2008 Tokunaga's Ulua Challenge, i won one of Laron's gyotaku prints...an omilu...thanks Laron!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 07:17:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

lai