Author Topic: Rockets Top Ten Safety must haves.  (Read 8490 times)

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
Rockets Top Ten Safety must haves.
« on: December 14, 2009, 10:27:25 PM »
1) PFD
2) VHF Radio
3) paddle tether
4) Rescue banner/flares/horn/whistle/mirror
5) First Aid Kit
6) Bow Line
7) Cell Phone in waterproof case
8) water
9) Extra paddle
10) Fishing partner

Offline Living The Dream

Re: Rockets Top Ten Safety must haves.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 06:15:10 AM »
Well said Rocket. This could be a very good thread.

I visualize my safety plan as trying to do two things. All safety items stem from these points.
  • to anticipate how things going wrong can result in a 'disaster', and how to break the chain of events that results in that 'disaster'
  • to target my efforts with layers of redundancy.

The more I think things through and apply this template, the safer I am.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:58:59 AM by Living The Dream »
Studies say 60% of the time it works every time.

Offline yelloman

• Ultra Member
  • reel nice!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 06:20:39 AM »
Good topic Rocket.

What do people consider necesarry items in a first aid kit?

Offline AlohaDan

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 07:43:45 AM »
IMHO a paddler leash is equal or even a higher requirement then a PFD. A paddle tether initself is not enough.

You lose the boat
Your visual toast.

Gave South Africa World Cup a run. Next up Brazil

Ahnkochee

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 07:59:41 AM »
I go solo 90% of the time, not promoting it, it's just what I prefer personally.  Besides items already mentioned I always carry a sea anchor/drift chute.  I also carry a small waterproof flashlight (Pelican 2-C) in my sea bag.  Great thread. 

Offline Living The Dream

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:55:31 AM »
IMHO a paddler leash is equal or even a higher requirement then a PFD. A paddle tether initself is not enough.

You lose the boat
Your visual toast.

Absolutely. And I consider it the most critically overlooked safety item, period. I paddle alone >99% of the time, so my leash is critical. But if it should fail, I have a plan B. And C.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:00:00 PM by Living The Dream »

Offline KChock

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 04:03:15 PM »
Many good points.  I'm another soloist.  I think the leash (to paddler) is a good idea for the exact reason given, especially under rough/windy conditions.
  My 1st aid kit is pretty sparse, but I carry 2 lengths (1 thin, 1 thicker) of surgical tubing for a quick tourniquet, in case of severe bleeding.  Many of us are now using braid in the heavier # tests and the stuff can cut you open like Swiss cheese.  If you stick yourself with a kage or a knife, whatever -same thing.  Tourniquet is usually a bad idea, but if you are out in a kayak and you have a gusher, it could save your life [maybe the med. experts can weigh in here].  I also carry large pieces of gauze and a mini roll of duct tape; a few other things:  I really am only worried about treating major injuries on the water (BLEEDING!), as my trips are mostly short.

Have not convinced wife of need for 2nd paddle, but it is next on my list ...I always carry the other things Roc listed.  As a soloist, I always wear my PFD offshore, no exceptions.

Offline hugh janus

• Rock!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 06:24:19 AM »
1. common sense.
1) PFD
2) VHF Radio
3) paddle tether
4) Rescue banner/flares/horn/whistle/mirror
5) First Aid Kit
6) Bow Line
7) Cell Phone in waterproof case
8) water
9) Extra paddle
10) Fishing partner

party like a ROCK star!!!!

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 06:53:30 AM »
Those are just the things I thought of, looks like I may have to make my personal list longer. Good work guys.

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 10:04:48 AM »
Many good points.  I'm another soloist.  I think the leash (to paddler) is a good idea for the exact reason given, especially under rough/windy conditions.
  My 1st aid kit is pretty sparse, but I carry 2 lengths (1 thin, 1 thicker) of surgical tubing for a quick tourniquet, in case of severe bleeding.  Many of us are now using braid in the heavier # tests and the stuff can cut you open like Swiss cheese.  If you stick yourself with a kage or a knife, whatever -same thing.  Tourniquet is usually a bad idea, but if you are out in a kayak and you have a gusher, it could save your life [maybe the med. experts can weigh in here].  I also carry large pieces of gauze and a mini roll of duct tape; a few other things:  I really am only worried about treating major injuries on the water (BLEEDING!), as my trips are mostly short.

Have not convinced wife of need for 2nd paddle, but it is next on my list ...I always carry the other things Roc listed.  As a soloist, I always wear my PFD offshore, no exceptions.

I always carry a tourniquet with me at all times.  The surgical tubing you are talking about will NOT work for severe bleeding, might slow it some, but you will still die from bleed out anywhere from 60 seconds to 20 minutes depending on the bleed.  if you are that worried about shark bite, or whatever else might happen out there, buy yourself a couple bandana's, a small wooden dowel, and the ring of a key chain.  this will stop almost any extremity bleed. 
oh, i also carry quik clot, lol. 
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline KChock

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 11:27:02 AM »
Doc- I think I get the picture, but can you explain the use of bandanas, dowel, ring for everyone?  Also, I looked at quick clot before; did not know how effective they were -any opinions?  I chose surg. tubing because it is compact & I figured I could get it around just about any body part & easily adjust pressure...  better ideas?

Offline evan b

• Ultra Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 11:51:25 AM »
Ive heard a surfboard leash will work well...been done before

Ill let the Doc chime in about proper tourniquet use. He probably knows a lot better than anyone here, military training and all.

Offline whipit

• Any day fishing is better than a day at work.
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 12:24:13 PM »
Roc - Where do you store your extra paddle?

Offline BambooPole

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 02:06:55 PM »
Strobe Light

I've got most of the items in the safety list.  Working on getting flares but I've got a waterproof strobe light for now.  The one I have, has a cord to attach to the pfd and the strobe activates when it hits the water or you touch the exposed terminals.  I suppose it'll come in handy if you are knocked unconscious and fall into the water or for some reason other safety items fail or are lost while at sea.  Its inexpensive and doesn't take up a lot of space, just another backup safety device.

I read some of the Hawaii Coast Guard press releases and in one rescue incident they located an individual at night by spotting a weak flashlight that the individual was waving.  I'm not saying don't get flares and buy a cheap flashlight or strobe light, just saying these things can help.  I'm sure most of us agree that nothing is fail safe and having backup devices and plans are a plus. 

Floatation device for non-floating VHF radios. 

Having a radio is a plus.  Keeping the radio functioning and with you...  major plus.  There are floating dry bags for VHF radios at West Marine.  Only thing is most PFD pockets won't house the VHF with dry bag.

Never thought of bringing materials specifically for a tourniquet but that's a great idea.
"It makes me mad when I go to all the trouble of having Martha cook up about a hundred drumsticks, then the guy at the Marineland says, "You can't throw chicken to the dolphins. They eat fish." Sure they eat fish, if that's all you give them. Man, wise up." - Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy

Offline cliffs2yak

• Ultra Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »
Thanks all for getting me to think about safety again.  My two bits:

1.  First Aid Training (CPR, know how to stop mild and severe bleeding, know how to treat shock.  Training will go over how to make a bandage or tourniquet from almost anything)
2.  Floatation (PFD, kayak leash, bilge sponge/towel/shirt/bucket/pump, leak repair kit )
3.  Backup propulsion (paddle leash, extra paddle, sail)
4. Comm (VHF, Cell Phone)
5. Rescue Aid (Flashlight/Banner/Flares/Horn/Whistle/Mirror/Dyes/Bow Line/EPIRM/PLB, Float Plan)
6. Plan and Exercise Exercise Exercise (Surf entry's, Huli's, Water Survival)
7. Sun Protection (Sunscreen, Hat)
8. Wingman (hopefully someone is crazy enough to paddle out with me)

Now if only someone can get me to do all of this...

c2y

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 05:54:35 PM »
ok.  i use the premade cat tourniquette, but with the bandana is pretty easy.  lets say that you lost half a leg or arm.  you would have the bandana rolled up, kinda like rambo did on his head, and thread the key ring through it.  If you happen to lose, or are bleeeding profulsely from an arm or leg, you take the bandana, and tie it as high up as you can. (armpit/crotch)  double tie it.  then slide wooden dowel between bandana and leg/arm.  twist the wooden dowel clockwise or counter clockwise....doesnt matter, till the bleeding stops.  this is a super effective tourniquette (according to experience)  when you get it as tight at you can, you will slide the end of the wooden dowel into the key ring, thus the dowel will stay in place.  The whole thing is probably  necessary, but after seeing what i have, i even have one in my truck.  it is an extremely effective way to save a life, that is threatened due to bleeding.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline eatmofish

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 08:30:31 PM »
You can use you shirt if you dont have a bandana, or if leg too big...

But I remember the good old western ways of stopping bleeding through heat.  Just pop open a couple 12GA rounds (everyone always carried a few), remove the shot and plug and sprinkle the goodies on the wound and light. The cauterizing action may even sterilize the wound if you use enough powder. :o

Of course, this method is not recommended anymore in the medical texts...

Offline evan b

• Ultra Member
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 09:58:09 PM »
Me and my friends have cauterized a bad neck puncture with a red hot knife blade...(dog)

Ahnkochee

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 10:04:05 PM »
Super glue works great for closing smaller cuts, and Opelu mouths.  ;)

Offline Living The Dream

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 01:06:00 AM »
Super glue works great for closing smaller cuts, and Opelu mouths.
They make special super glue for wounds, real stuff is toxic & has some ill effect I can't remember. Also presumably works on Opelu.

Reading this thread I keep asking myself what the heck is going to cut you so bad you need a tourniquet. Oh yea, you guys have sharks.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 01:07:59 AM by Living The Dream »

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2017, 07:27:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

ono