Author Topic: Rockets Top Ten Safety must haves.  (Read 8489 times)

Offline JDoc

Re: Rockets Top Ten Safety must haves.
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2010, 12:37:28 PM »
All a great help with the additional information.  Super glue for cuts is great, have used it many times as well as Dermabond.  I have ordered Dermabond several times on a supply order, very very expensive.  A good bleed and tourniquet go hand in hand.  Especially with waters we are in.  The last thing you would want is to go over in a wave and have sharks waitin for ya followin your blood trail, ya know?

Pretty much have everything on the list, jus need a radio and spare paddle.  Oh, I also carry, InfraRed flashers.  Nothing too expensive, a simple 9 volt one.

Doc-  Have you seen the new combat gauze?  I have gotten rid of all my quik clot.

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2010, 06:28:04 PM »
Yep i've seen it and used it. Just don't have any in my arsenal at the moment. It's Pretty good stuff. Welcome jdoc
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline COBRA

• 1st. papio
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2010, 10:53:34 PM »
what about radios? VHF, FRS, GMRS?  I was thinking of getting a garmin rhino radio. It has GPS and two way radio capabilities and water proof, but as for a radio, it is FRS {family radio service up to 2 miles} GMRS {general Mobile radio service up to 5 miles }  can FRS and GMRS communicate with vhf. what do most you use? ???

Offline whipit

• Any day fishing is better than a day at work.
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 11:08:14 PM »
I think most of the guys use VHF.

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 07:31:31 AM »
Yup, VHF
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline yelloman

• Ultra Member
  • reel nice!
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2010, 08:27:25 AM »
VHF - marine radio - for safety (channel 16) a must really.

Forget about FRS and GMRS

Offline cliffs2yak

• Ultra Member
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »
I attach my leash when coming in through rough surf. i don't want my kayak getting away from me and having to go swimming after it. I will move the leash to the stern for coming in.. i don't want it to the bow... this way if i huli my yak stays in front of my and i can control it as it drags me to safer water... sometime here the waves break pretty far from shore. that's just me and how i deal with it.

BD,

Thanks for the idea of moving the leash to the stern.  This way you don't have to turn the kayak 180 degrees to right itself.  What I also learned was that a longer leash helps keep you outside of the waves energy if you do end up getting dragged behind.  Good to have a quick release on your leash just in case.  Or at least be proficient in removing you leash in the water.

A few lessons learned from a few years of getting dragged behind my surfboard only to end up going over the falls with it  :o

c2y

Offline Ahinahina

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2010, 08:47:36 AM »
Hey guys, Great topic! I'm taking it all into consideration. One thing though, The VHF radio, how does it work??? Do I need two, one for me and one to leave with someone else when I go? or does it communicate with anyone who may be using a VHF at a given time on a given frequency??? I never really researched it yet, just read about it here.
Bumbai

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2010, 08:56:03 AM »
You can communicate with the Coast Guard and anyone who has a radio. There's a whole section on the VHF radio in here somewhere. They have a limited range (3-6 miles usually) depending on the model you have, so leaving one at home won't do anything unless you live right on the beach and fish in your back yard like Bruddah Bill.

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline Ahinahina

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2010, 07:57:48 PM »
Tanks Bros. makes sense! I will definitly look into one. Do they have waterproof models? I should really do research at this point.
Bumbai

Offline Rob

• Ultra Member
  • AH European Correspondent
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2010, 09:24:37 PM »
I think most are waterproof (definitely a must), some float as well. I've got a basic sinking model, but keep it tied to my PFD.
If it was easy it wouldn't be this much fun...

Offline Living The Dream

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2010, 11:33:33 AM »
Speaking of the VHF, occasionally (monthly) I'll call out on the emergency channel for a radio check. It's disturbing how many times I get nothing but crickets. Then I try it on the yacht channel (68 here) & almost always get a response. I treat the yacht channel as my second emergency line.
Studies say 60% of the time it works every time.

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2010, 05:49:31 PM »
****It's "off season" right now, so we thought this is important for all of us to reread...and time to refresh your safety gear.****

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline Ahinahina

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2010, 07:58:49 AM »
Very true! I have some funds saved for a new reel but I think a PFD would be wise!
Bumbai

Offline yelloman

• Ultra Member
  • reel nice!
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2010, 08:21:33 AM »
Very true! I have some funds saved for a new reel but I think a PFD would be wise!

By law you must carry a PFD and a wissle

Ahnko Honu

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2010, 10:29:54 AM »
Not necessarily a whistle any noise-maker will do though a whistle is handy kept clipped to your PFD.  For years both me, and my dad carried a conch shell as a noisemaker.  After my dad passed away these conchs had a new sentimental value so they now stay displayed in my home.  I now carry a whistle but also a compact Sea-Sense Safety Blaster Horn which is super LOUD with little effort, and works even when soaking wet.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Seasense-Safety-Blaster-Horn-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c1604f6d1QQitemZ120628508369QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2011, 08:19:14 AM »
ok guys.. I was reading through this thread... lots of good info here... we all must consider our safety at all times... here on AH we have a good crew and a good record for safety.. some of us our constantly pushing it to the limit.. i am guilty and have a lot of deep water AI time.... my experience in my life is.. "if you roll the dice enough times you will crap out"....

meaning the more time you spend in the water.. and the more time you spend pushing the limits... the more likely you are to have something go wrong.. with that's being said none of us our so good at this that we don't need to be concerned about safety..

after taking on @ 15 gallons of water into my Hobie AI hull.. I realized I got real lucky.. I knew i had a leak.. I had it checked and tested... i got the green light.. and luckily i was close to shore and a safe landing when i noticed the center hatch was going under water and that the rear of the kayak was fully submerged.. I keep thingking what if i had been offshore.. things would have been much scarier..

Isaac's Top ten Safety must haves are a excellent starting point for safety... one thing i would like to stress is carrying flares.. it is a coast guard law to carry a signaling device.. a flare is going to give you the best shot at being scene over a whistle, horn or mirror.. I carry a whistle, a mirror, and a three pack of flares. I also carry a VHF radio and a cell phone... I now have GPS on my fish finder to assist in a rescue. And I am considering getting the ebirp soon..

a very real possibility is to be offshore and take on massive amounts of water into your kayak hull.. The other day when i took on all that water i did not have my usuall cup and sponge...  but really.. would that have worked offshore... when your that far under water there is no opening of a hatch... i even wonder if the manual type bilge pump would have worked at all... so it might be time for me to consider installing a permanent electric bilge pump into my AI hull.. I would rig this to my fishfinder battery and use a switch to turn it on in an emergency.. I am pretty sure Aloha Dan runs a set up similar to this..

Also back up floatation is not a bad idea at all.. the kind inside the hull that keeps the hull from fully going under.. with the AI we have the amas and akas.. that was the only way i got in.. but on my regular kayak it would have been underwater for sure.. and i dont know if i could have got her in if i was way offshore...

We never can be to careful guys... stay on your safety game.... inspect your kayak and gear regularly... look for ways to improve you safety plan... lets continue working together to keep each other safe.. ALOHA

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Offline yelloman

• Ultra Member
  • reel nice!
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »
batteries tend to run out when you don't want them to or when they submerge they ...

I always carry a manual bilge pump and sponge and a bottle or two three

Offline mongoose

• Ultra Member
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2011, 07:21:35 PM »
You must have taken water on pretty quickly.  Personal Locator Beacons ( PLB) are coming down in size and price.  I keep one in my lifejacket pocket just in case stuff happens quick.

Offline BadKarma

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2014, 12:13:11 AM »
I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this post. Before I would even put my Kayak in the water for the first time over here I went on the hunt for a VHF. Kinda nice having a list made out and I have one that i laminated for a check list prior to heading out of the driveway. I am military so i have a few things in my first aid kit that i also  combined with an army issue survival kit (to include a bag of M&Ms) but the thought of things going very bad very quickly is always something on my mind and because you guys have the knowledge, guys like me can be safer.
Things in my kit now include;
Tourniquet, Gauze, Iodine tablets, Matches, Mirror, fishing line with hooks, quick-clot, electrical tape, medical tape, medical scissors, soup mix, M&Ms, space blanket, IR Strobe Beacon w/ battery, and paracord. There are a few other things in there but that is the main stuff.
All of that fits in a fairly small pouch that is then in a ziplock and waterproof rubbermaid container which atm i just keep in the hull but will be mounting it to the bottom side of my hatch lid. The other items on my list are the VHF, PFD, Whistle, Leashes, Garmin GPS w/ BlueChart installed (if someone needs the BlueChart and has a compatible Garmin handheld please shoot me a message and I will help you out.) Water is always a few extra bottles more than i think i will drink, not to mention the fact you freeze em first and put em in your fish/wally bag and cuts down on the ice as i have seen suggested here in the forums along with the majority of things listed in the thread. 
I try like hell to have my common sense with me as learning the way my Yak handles different things but in the end it is about learning things the not so easy way but prior to it being the hard/dangerous way.
 Once again thank you all for the info and I have already put together the few items that everyone have mentioned that i don't have but want onboard with me prior to going BTB which won't be for a while but they will be in there very soon. 
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14
Malibu Kayaks Stealth 12

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2017, 07:25:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

yessah