Author Topic: National Salt Water Angler Registry  (Read 6104 times)

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
National Salt Water Angler Registry
« on: January 29, 2010, 01:41:56 PM »
https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/register/home.jsp

If you fish or end up 3 miles offshore while fishing, you will have to be registered. Its free and fast for those interested and/or not already registered.

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
Re: National Salt Water Angler Registry
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 02:20:36 PM »
Wow, never knew, thanks Roc.  Great info.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:23:04 PM »
Thank Danford at Roys for reminding me to get everyone up to par! ;)

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 02:57:32 PM »
It's fast, painless, and free to register. We got our cards a couple of weeks ago...just in case we end up fishing more than 3 miles off shore. ;)

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline takoman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:57:15 PM »
I think im Exempt becuse i hold a commercial marine license. Also exempt are  Anglers under 16, Anglers that only fish on licensed charter boats, or out of state anglers already registered with NOAA.
*never mind i just registered anyway.*
Was very fast and easy.
Do It Now!!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:11:43 PM by takoman »

Ahnkochee

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 03:31:53 AM »
I just registered too.  I hope it isn't something that comes back to bite us in the future now that they (Da Man) have our names and addresses.  I'm just a pessimist.  ;D

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 06:31:12 AM »
Feel the same way Ahnko, just gotta hope cooperating will show our solid style.

Offline mongoose

• Ultra Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:59:38 PM »
It's fast, painless, and free to register. We got our cards a couple of weeks ago...just in case we end up fishing more than 3 miles off shore. ;)

free and painless,,,,hmmmmmm.  they goin' tax us or something.  we drinking the koolaid?

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 05:44:49 AM »
More info on the National Salt Water Angler Registry. >:( :( >:( :( >:( They're going to charge us $15-$25 starting in 2011, but if you're Native Hawaiian, you'll be exempt from the fee according to what I read.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100203/NEWS01/2030345/-1/NLETTER01?source=nletter-

Ahnkochee

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 06:07:20 AM »
More info on the National Salt Water Angler Registry. >:( :( >:( :( >:( They're going to charge us $15-$25 starting in 2011, but if you're Native Hawaiian, you'll be exempt from the fee according to what I read.

Those bass-turds!  >:(  What percentage of blood quantum is considered native Hawaiian according to the FEDs?  ::)

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 06:37:34 AM »
The thing that gets me is we're going to be paying this registration fee, but in reality we MIGHT fish outside of the 3 mile range less than 5 times in a YEAR. *I'm not saying everyone should do this, but we may as well not register, and pay a fine if there is one IF we get caught. >:( >:(

Offline BambooPole

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 06:48:37 AM »
Wow, 3 miles.  Kinda close ah.  Was wondering how where the Federal waters were.  I should be alright for a while... unless I happen to hook up with something around the inner reef and it tows me 2+ miles out to sea.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:48:39 AM by BambooPole »
"It makes me mad when I go to all the trouble of having Martha cook up about a hundred drumsticks, then the guy at the Marineland says, "You can't throw chicken to the dolphins. They eat fish." Sure they eat fish, if that's all you give them. Man, wise up." - Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy

Ahnkochee

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 07:03:00 AM »
State Waters from shoreline out to 3 miles.
Federal Waters from 3 miles out to 200 miles.

The Kailua Bay weather buoy a relatively short paddle for kayaks is already in Federal waters.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:28:42 AM by Ahnko Chee »

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 07:14:42 AM »

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100203/NEWS01/2030345/-1/NLETTER01?source=nletter-

Sneaky :(

Offline Rob

• Ultra Member
  • AH European Correspondent
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 07:55:28 AM »
As someone who grew up paying for a fishing license (it is a similar fee for freshwater fishing in the UK), I have no problem paying that amount IF AND ONLY IF the money is kept local and used to to maintain the fishery. In this case I fear the money will disappear into a black hole, never to be seen again.
If it was easy it wouldn't be this much fun...

Offline mongoose

• Ultra Member
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 08:46:11 AM »
here's the kool-aid...just as we spoke.  3 miles is only out to that bouey?...that's not that far.

nothing's free.  if free now then pay later.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100203/NEWS01/2030345/Recreational+fishing+in+federal+waters+off+Hawaii+requires+registration
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:47:59 AM by mongoose »

Offline AlohaDan

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 08:58:14 AM »
I'd suggest all local fisherman puruse the Western Pacific Regional  Management Council report of Sptember 2009.

http://www.wpcouncil.org/fep/WPRFMC%20Pelagic%20FEP%20(2009-09-21).pdf

Yes it's long and somewhat boring. But take a couple of nights and go through it.

You might also be able to pickup a hard copy at their offices on Oahu (I could use a couple if you go by there)

But ask your self why the emphasis on rec fishing for pelagic migratory species whose catch figures are insiginificant compared to commercial?

They haven't even produced a math model that can illustrate rec catch effects on stocks have to reach certain heights, say "X" And the current volume is estimatable within limits of accuracy "Y" that are far below "X".

And why are we hearing about size limits, catch share etc being tossed around in HFN?

The Magneson Stevens act is an attempt to fit all with one shoe. Hawaii is different due to pelagics.

The local fish are already under DLNR . No need for the feds to step in here under the 3 mile limit. But will they stay out?

Heck it's a drive and a wedge to the Hookena koa for young ahi.Will they attempt to move inside 3 miles to stuff unwarranted resitrictions down our throats.

The workshops are a joke. A member of my club attended the one in Kona. It wan't about getting public input, it was "this is the way it's going to be."

I concluded with these guys are suppose to also report what any impact their regs will have on cultural, subsitance, and recreational practices when implemented. They have not done so.

You can submit comments on thier new regs until March or April. I suggest you do so.

Gave South Africa World Cup a run. Next up Brazil

Offline AlohaDan

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 09:10:37 AM »
This the BS justification I was talking about.(from Mongoose's post). applicable to perhaps some mainland stocks that are local only. Maybe like our deep 7 (under DLNR) But not migratory pelagics with humongous commercial catches.

To protect the stocks, we have to know how many fish are killed both by commercial and recreational fishermen. The only real way to measure recreational catch is through doing surveys of recreational fishers, and the only way to do a survey is to know who they are and have the ability to contact them," said Bill Robinson, administrator of NOAA Fisheries' Pacific Islands Region.

They have rec data. They don't think it's that accurate. But they won't give an estimated error. Why? Because any error analysis is insignificant compared to commercial catches that not only involve Hawaiian waters, but foreign.

Now whose SNUFFLEUPAGUS can they kick.? Domestic or foreign?

Finally, I have heard some rumbles about West Pac managers having a proprietary link to commercial fleets. This is a rumor only IMHO. But I'm going to look hard at it. I hoe you do to.

Offline mongoose

• Ultra Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 09:45:32 AM »
and recreational fishermen. The only real way to measure recreational catch is through doing surveys of recreational fishers, and the only way to do a survey is to know who they are and have the ability to contact them," .

"Take me to your leaders"

Offline AlohaDan

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 11:09:25 AM »
If you read the report you will find they have access to the boat registry.

Calling boat owners kills several birds with one stone..

1. The number that don't fish.

2. For the ones that do, an estimate of the number of day they fish.

3. Volunteer catch reports.

Why then do they choose to SNUFFLEUPAGUS about random telephoning when they have access to a data base? What is the intellect of someone who ignores a methd of enhancing their success?

ETC on several other points..

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2017, 02:06:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Tigers North shore run