Author Topic: National Salt Water Angler Registry  (Read 6103 times)

Offline AlohaDan

Re: National Salt Water Angler Registry
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 11:57:40 AM »
I may have fired from the hip too fast.

Boat owners were surveyed.

But what data was collected other than usage I haven't been able to determine yet. will try to get hold of the survey paper. But still doesn't look good.

Gave South Africa World Cup a run. Next up Brazil

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 12:05:56 PM »
I know I'm preaching to the choir, but the thing that just bugs me is that it's like they're trying to watch/regulate us when the longliners have WAY more impact on the fish than we do...AND there are more long line boats in the harbor than ever before! >:( If we combined all the catches from everyone on this forum for the past 2 years it wouldn't even be 1/10 of the amount of fish one longliner boat brought in last year...in fact all our catches combined wouldn't even be 1/10 of the amount of fish longliner boats bring in on one outing! >:( >:(

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Ahnkochee

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 01:32:31 PM »
I get the feeling this is a smoke screen scheme by the fiscally strapped FEDs to make more money from a new untapped source- us saltwater fishermen.  The $25 annual registration fee x the estimated 192,000 recreational fishermen statewide equals 4.8 million dollars a year they'll be making off just us Hawaiian fishermen (and women).  Even at the bottom $15 a year figure it's still 2.88 million dollars annually into their coffers.  Big government trying to squeeze as much blood out of as many people as they can any way they can.  >:(

Offline BambooPole

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 06:13:35 AM »
I know I'm preaching to the choir, but the thing that just bugs me is that it's like they're trying to watch/regulate us when the longliners have WAY more impact on the fish than we do...AND there are more long line boats in the harbor than ever before! >:( If we combined all the catches from everyone on this forum for the past 2 years it wouldn't even be 1/10 of the amount of fish one longliner boat brought in last year...in fact all our catches combined wouldn't even be 1/10 of the amount of fish longliner boats bring in on one outing! >:( >:(

Good point.  I'm not sure what the current figures are but here's an article to support...  "Longline fishing catches more seafood than any type of fishing in Hawaii.  In 1997, longliners brought in about 16 million pounds of fish. Trolling, the second largest type of fishing, produced about 2.5 million pounds of fish."

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2000/06/24/news/story1.html

I can see that at the least, some organization may want to get a feel for what recreational fishermen consume.  We're pretty much unregulated, so who knows what goes on.  But on the other side of things, like you said, there is no way that we could out-do longlining in terms of consumption and impact.

What the future could hold, once they do have numbers?  Start creating regulations and bans on recreational fisherman like they do for longlining???   >:(
"It makes me mad when I go to all the trouble of having Martha cook up about a hundred drumsticks, then the guy at the Marineland says, "You can't throw chicken to the dolphins. They eat fish." Sure they eat fish, if that's all you give them. Man, wise up." - Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy

Offline BambooPole

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 06:18:09 AM »
I get the feeling this is a smoke screen scheme by the fiscally strapped FEDs to make more money from a new untapped source- us saltwater fishermen.  The $25 annual registration fee x the estimated 192,000 recreational fishermen statewide equals 4.8 million dollars a year they'll be making off just us Hawaiian fishermen (and women).  Even at the bottom $15 a year figure it's still 2.88 million dollars annually into their coffers.  Big government trying to squeeze as much blood out of as many people as they can any way they can.  >:(

Yea true, "For the sake of the environment."  Maybe with the money they'll bring some new fish or algae species to run rampant on our reef.   ;)
"It makes me mad when I go to all the trouble of having Martha cook up about a hundred drumsticks, then the guy at the Marineland says, "You can't throw chicken to the dolphins. They eat fish." Sure they eat fish, if that's all you give them. Man, wise up." - Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy

Offline eatmofish

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 06:36:40 AM »
"The agency, which has limited enforcement resources in Hawai'i, acknowledges it will need the assistance of state agencies and the Coast Guard in enforcing the registration rule.

Penalties for failing to register are under consideration."

Well, no penalty, I no register. In fact, the penalty would have to be pretty high to get me to sign on...free to register this year, $15-$25 next year...who knows how much in 2012 when the government even more broke...I think recreational fishing needs a BAILOUT - give us $700 Billion, we'll teach others to fish for food, and let the banks rot...

Ahnkochee

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 07:21:05 AM »
I wonder if they'll eventually have sea nazis patrolling outside the 3 mile line boarding vessels and demanding current registration evidence?  They'll certainly have the funding for it now thru registration fees us paying them to harass us.  ::) >:( 8)

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 07:41:48 AM »
I wonder if they'll eventually have sea nazis patrolling outside the 3 mile line boarding vessels and demanding current registration evidence?  They'll certainly have the funding for it now thru registration fees us paying them to harass us.  ::) >:( 8)
That's how they do it in the oceans in virginia right now.  only difference is you can't fish for striped bass passed the 3 mile line.  they have boats out there just waiting for you to cross.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Ahnkochee

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 08:20:22 AM »
That's how they do it in the oceans in virginia right now.  only difference is you can't fish for striped bass passed the 3 mile line.  they have boats out there just waiting for you to cross.

How about Bluefish or Tunny?  They can't stop you if you're fishing for Bluefish or Tunny I hope.

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 01:01:52 PM »
Those laws are for the winter season.  fishing in the chesapeake bay is haulted completely, and then you have to stay within 3 miles of shore for striped bass....the bluefish take off in the winter...they don't like the cold.  not sure about the tunny though.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 04:00:17 PM »
What the future could hold, once they do have numbers?  Start creating regulations and bans on recreational fisherman like they do for longlining???   >:(

That would be a sad day and a terrible move.

Offline saltcreekcalico

• Ultra Member
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 03:50:07 AM »

Maybe the sea nazis can start sinking all the private fads that are ruining the fishing too.

Offline cliffs2yak

• Ultra Member
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2010, 07:34:03 AM »
Camel,

Some big catch/dollar commercial operators are making money at the cost of the recreational folks fishing nside of the guanlet of private FADS.  Errrr...

Attended a few of the NOAA hosted meetings regarding some form of attempt to collect fisheries data under the Magnuson-Stevens Act http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/magact/.  Kudos to guys like Bill Aila and Prof. Craig Severance for being regular attendees and speaking up for the rec guys.  I'm all for conservation and management. But based on past goverment actions (i.e. DLNR), I'm weary about how the data will be used and if management will be made up of people who know our fisheries (instead of being "politically" motivated).  

Just my two bits... Errr....

c2y

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:40:43 AM by cliffs2yak »

Ahnkochee

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2010, 12:37:28 PM »
Current DLNR Management = Politically Motivated  >:(

I think William 'Aila is the only straight shooter left in the DLNR though he doesn't represent them at these meetings.

Offline HG

• Ultra Member
    • Pau Spam, LLC
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »

I think William 'Aila is the only straight shooter left in the DLNR though he doesn't represent them at these meetings.

He spoke to a service group I belong to when he ran for Gov in 2006.  Very nice guy.  He brought his wife too, which I thought was cool. 

Offline arrochi

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »
where do you gota go to sign up?
Hook me up

Ahnkochee

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2010, 05:33:10 PM »

He spoke to a service group I belong to when he ran for Gov in 2006.  Very nice guy.  He brought his wife too, which I thought was cool. 

Melva- Williams wife (He HATES being called Bill) a very gracious lady.  I had William and his 'ohana stay with me on Maui and I took them to my 'opihi grounds and we picked for his son's graduation, and his house warming, he's an honest hardworking guy, and a great friend.  He supported Lingle in her first election (hoping for positive change) but halfway thru her term saw the corruption and lies so ran against her in second election. 

Offline HG

• Ultra Member
    • Pau Spam, LLC
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »

Melva- Williams wife (He HATES being called Bill) a very gracious lady.  I had William and his 'ohana stay with me on Maui and I took them to my 'opihi grounds and we picked for his son's graduation, and his house warming, he's an honest hardworking guy, and a great friend.  He supported Lingle in her first election (hoping for positive change) but halfway thru her term saw the corruption and lies so ran against her in second election. 

I met William in 2006 thru Maile Shimabukuro, the State Rep for Waianae, Makaha, and Makua.  She's one of the few legislators who surfs, so naturally I took a liking to Mr. Aila and invited him to come speak to our Exchange Club. 

Usually when someone running for office brings their wife to a speaking engagement, both act as a team networking the room.  But as a nice change of pace, they both were very humble and soft spoken.  He was a big underdog in that race, one couldn't help but admire his grit.

Offline Scooter

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 12:37:30 PM »
Registered.  I don't think I'll be 3 miles out anytime soon, but just in case I get swept out to see I'll be covered. lol

Offline Makaio

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 07:09:30 PM »
I got boarded by the coast gaurd recently for a random inspection, they wanted to see my boat registration, but never asked for anything relating to this registry or anything regarding fishing reg's.  Come to think of it, although the CG is often out and about on the water, I don't think I've ever seen a DLNR or NOAA boat in all my years fishing here.  Kinda hard to enforce a 3mile fishing reg when they only hang out on the pier waiting for guys to come back in, who's to say how far you really went out...  Or maybe their gonna use the fees to buy themselves a patrol boat, then use the fines to buy another, and another etc..  Maybe if no one pays for the initial registration they won't be able to start a vicious cycle.  ;)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 18, 2017, 02:41:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Roc double mahimahi