Author Topic: PLB Alternative  (Read 1065 times)

Offline cliffs2yak

• Ultra Member
PLB Alternative
« on: April 22, 2010, 02:53:46 PM »
Anyone tried using the new ESPOT from Ocean Kayak.  Initial price of $99 not bad but $149 annual subscription could add up.  Might be better to pay for the GPS features on a cell phone plan and send the coordinates via text.

http://www.findmespot.com/jow/

c2y

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
Re: PLB Alternative
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 03:36:45 PM »
looks cool, but you have to map spots on google maps?  also the main thing for us, there is no service in Hawaii, so no go.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline Mikey

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:23:15 PM »
SPOT's service still does not cover Hawaii/Central Pacific very well.  A shame really. I'd invest in this if it did.

Coverage Map

Hawaii falls under:  REDUCED OR NO COVERAGE AVAILABLE WITHIN A 20 MINUTE PERIOD.
just stoked to be out there.

Offline Living The Dream

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 04:59:33 PM »
I have one, works fairly well. Not great, but fair. Best part is I can call my wife & friends that have boats instead of the Grenada Coast Guard. Who may or may not feel like coming to get me. If they ever cover Hawaii, I recommend it.

Studies say 60% of the time it works every time.

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 11:01:42 AM »
Wow, and you are in a coverage "hotspot"  and it only works fair? 
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline Kayaking Bob

• Fishing, Trolling, Sailing
    • KayakingBob
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »
the newest models of many brands of EPIRB and PLB's now have a similar message service available to let others know we're ok.  http://www.406link.com/  The ACR one is $59.95 a year

Offline yelloman

• Ultra Member
  • reel nice!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 11:22:16 AM »
I contacted spot last year. Forget about this device. Zero coverage guarantee.

Offline Mikey

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 11:47:01 AM »
the newest models of many brands of EPIRB and PLB's now have a similar message service available to let others know we're ok.  http://www.406link.com/  The ACR one is $59.95 a year

A MUCH better coverage area than spot for Hawaii.  When I'm back on the water i'll probably be investing in this.  Thanks Bob.

just stoked to be out there.

Offline Living The Dream

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 12:33:42 PM »
Wow, and you are in a coverage "hotspot"  and it only works fair?
Copy that Doc. It works fair, not good. It is far from a sure thing if your message is going to be received by the satellite. If it's received, then everything works great. But if I'm bobbing up and down in the ocean w/ nothing to do for a while, I'm pretty sure one of my messages will eventually hit home. I'd estimate it could take a half hour to an hour to get a successful message out sometimes. But again, for what it is - a communication device of last resort - it works good enough. And consider this, how do I know it's a dicey proposition to get a message out? Because you can send "OK messages" to test the device and check in w/ people back home. Ever test your EPIRB? Do you really know how well it works? Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't. A HUGE selling point for me is that it doesn't just call the coast guard. Our coast guard may not be listening or may not feel like going out if the weather is bad or it's night (I'm not kidding, they won't search at night). The SPOT activates a call center in the US that will then contact the US consulate, my university, my wife, the coast guard and a bunch of my PB friends. It'll give everyone real-time(ish) info on where I am, linked to GoogleMaps.

It's good enough, it's a potential life saver, I wouldn't leave home w/o one, but there is a LOT of room for improvement. When a better option comes along, I'm jumping ship.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 12:38:23 PM by Living The Dream »
Studies say 60% of the time it works every time.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2017, 07:24:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Quick run