Author Topic: Irritated with irritating people  (Read 4357 times)

Offline hugh janus

• Rock!!!
Irritated with irritating people
« on: May 01, 2008, 08:49:23 AM »
Okay so normally I'm a pretty laid back guy... well, at least I think so.  anyway there are some things that really bother me. 

There seems to be an increasing number of arrogant divers here in hawaii.  There are divers out there that really just blow my mind.  There is a diver that has writen on his myspace page a  list of all his accomplishments so everyone can see.  Sheesh!  Is that really necessary?  I mean come on, do you have a place where you feel the need to write down how many magazine covers, how many records you have?

In this persons gallery section he has a picture of him on a magazine cover and the caption says something like "me on the HSD cover...again" 

I think the reason why this is bothering me is because it's just not what I'm used to.  All the divers/fishermen that I look up to would never say or display these type of things.  It's one thing to acknowledge your accomplishments and it's another thing to brag about it.  Yes, this diver is very skilled however, I have very little respect for him.  I have a hard time respecting people who have huge ego's as this person does. 

Another thing that's getting to me is divers asking me where to shoot certain fish, like Kumu, uku's, and ulua's.  I had one diver tell/ask me for spots because he said his spots weren't holding fish so he wanted to try a place that I go.  WTF, I put in a lot of time finding certain area's that are decent to good.  a lot of times I have to swim around or get dragged around (by a boat) to find these spots and these people want me to just give it to them?  It's one thing if these people were my friends but these are guys that I "met" on myspace. Come on, put your time in like everyone else. 

Sorry for the ranting but I've been thinking about this for a while and I just needed to get this off my chest.  I may be the only person feeling like this, or may be most can't relate to this story but I just needed to vent.  Sorry for the long post
party like a ROCK star!!!!

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
Re: Irritated with irritating people
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 09:01:11 AM »
I am beginning to like you more and more.  ;D

Offline hugh janus

• Rock!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 09:07:55 AM »
ohhh ohhhh... what's the world coing too?  haaaa. 

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 09:10:24 AM »
Would you be happy with a cover shot?

Offline hugh janus

• Rock!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »
To me it's one thing to be happy with the cover shot and it's another thing to say I'm on the cover again.  May be I'm blowing this out of proportion but I think it's because I know how this guy is that I cutting him less slack. 

As for myself being on the cover of a magazine... yeah, I'd be happy, but would never bolster.  It's always an honor to be on the cover of magazines and such.

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 10:42:11 AM »
Good post!

The only thing is if I was on the cover of HFN I would buy multiple copies of it and glue them all over my car for the whole world to see. No modesty here. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Ahnkochee

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 11:25:35 AM »
If you were on the cover of HFN, HSD, or GQ wearing your pink jump suit I'd deffinately want your autograph!  ;)
I'm so FUGLY I'd be shame be on top cover of one magazine.   :-[  What's a "Myspace"? (showing my old-futtiness)

Offline hugh janus

• Rock!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 12:03:14 PM »
Myspace is a networking site.  It's a website that you can go to to create a profile.  In your profile you can have pics. videos, friends, etc. 

and apparently a place you brag about how great you and your accomplishments are.

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 12:54:04 PM »
Two things are brought up here,I totally understand both. Cover photos, always a great thing. I see your point about being happy and being conceited for a cover shot. Maybe he doesn't see or care about others perception of him. Maybe its all for the sponsoship possibilities. I would have to check it out to really evaluate it. But, arrogance is really a turn off and you set yourself up to fall hard by placing yourself above others.

When I made the forum the intent was to create a kayak fishing community for sharing information on the specific threads created. Did anyone notice a thread named: SPOTS?  ???

I know that this has caused "choke" frustration and even pushed many members away from Aquahunters. I am not here to tell anybody where to fish. More like be safe, use this, use that, practice, practice, and practice.

I guess  everyone doesn't know that I didn't have a local forum to go to for ANY information. I went out and gathered info from everbody except other kayak fishermen. Besides my friends (TEAM Aquahunters) I didnt know of any that existed here.

Maybe this forum has misled everyone to think its a kayak fishing Spots directory. I will never do that because if you run into trouble, I ain't going to be responsible for that.

And besides, some think that the spots are all you need and you'll be just as successful without putting the time in? The places are there, its obvious. Its an insult to the TEAM and the current contestants in the Makahiki Tournament to say its as easy as 1, 2, 3.

AND on top of that I gave away my secret weapon!! The Rocket Rig is 5 YEARS of painful research and trials. I think thats what is seperating me from others (forgive my arrogance Hugh). I gave that to show all of you what I do, no secrets!

I tired already of feeling guilty for holding out. I am over that, I know what I know from the work put in, years of it.

I am thankful to all that continue to contribute here on the forum and to kayak fishing in Hawaii including OahuDave and Hawaii Yak Fishing. Good luck to everyone and please be safe. Aloha, Roc
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 01:14:31 PM by Rocket »

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 01:46:49 PM »
I guess  everyone doesn't know that I didn't have a local forum to go to for ANY information. I went out and gathered info from everbody except other kayak fishermen. Besides my friends (TEAM Aquahunters) I didnt know of any that existed here.

Maybe this forum has misled everyone to think its a kayak fishing Spots directory. I will never do that because if you DIE, I ain't going to be responsible for that.

And besides, some think that the spots are all you need and you'll be just as successful without putting the time in? The places are there, its obvious. Its an insult to the TEAM and the current contestants in the Makahiki Tournament to say its as easy as 1, 2, 3.

AND on top of that I gave away my secret weapon!! The Rocket Rig is 5 YEARS of painful research and trials. I think thats what is seperating me from others (forgive my arrogance Hugh). I gave that to show all of you what I do, no secrets!

Amen.

Gareth and I fished since we were little thanks to our father and mother. Started with shore fishing, moved to paddling surfboards to outside reefs, then an inflatable raft (wanna talk about dangerous?!), then finally the kayak. In our first 1 or 2 years of kayak fishing we saw only 1 other kayak fisherman in all the hours we spent on the water. There was nobody to really learn from except our crazy brother in law who would paddle miles out on his surfboard and fish off of it and from friends who owned boats. They thought we were crazy to fish off of our large tupperware container (which one of them called our kayak). Bad winds, bad tides, bad conditions, failed gear, and failed rigs taught us so much. We were rewarded after so many years with our first pelagic (a 13 lb mahi). Time on the water, lots of practice, and patience is what it takes...we aren't there yet, but we're still plugging away. Kevin & Gareth Uyeda

Offline hugh janus

• Rock!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 02:32:02 PM »
I think this forum is a great tool for kayak fishing (diving has it's own version.)   I'm sure everyone appreciates you as well as everyone else on here that shares their knowledge.  I think that when people share techniques/strategies or whatever you want to call it it leads to the evolution of the sport.  The same thing has happened with diving.  The knowledge has been passed down from the guys that came before me and I try to pass it along to others... well, what little I know. 

That being said, there are divers out there that know the technique but want the rest to come easy.  They want to know where to go without looking for themselves. 

As far as the other issue that I brought up, I didn't mean for anyone to pass judgement on this guy.  I was just irritated and I needed to vent a bit.  I'm sure his friends think he's great. ::) 

Offline Paz

• Ultra Member
  • Tandem Kayak Fishing: Never die alone
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 03:37:57 PM »
For me, part of the allure of doing this is figuring things out on my own.  If I get tips from other people, great.  But I don't expect it just because I joined the forum.  I also take that same advice with a grain of salt because what works for one person may not work for me.  Yes, I've tried the rocket rig and yes I know it's successful but I'm not going to use it exclusively.  I'm still gonna try (and probably fail) with my own expirements but that's part of the learning process.  Who knows, by blind luck I might even improve on the rocket rig.  I understand that people will keep things close to their vest and only share it with people they trust and know especially fishing grounds especially if they've gone through all the trouble of figuring it out for themselves. 

As far as spots are concerened, to be honest, I'm not sure I am ready to venture out to some of the places Rocket fishes and I can totally see someone new to the sport join the forum and read a post about some great spot off shore and they paddle out there not knowing what they got themselves into until it's too late.  I would hate to have that on my consience.  As ambasadors of this sport its our responsablity to make sure people get started safely. 

I've only started thinking about this since I got the second kayak with the intent of introducing my friends and family to the sport.  Now, I am having second thoughts about doing that because I don't want to be responsible for someone else's safety when I'm relatively new to to kayak fishing myself.  I am grateful to the people I have met through Kayak fishing and when we go out there, a instant bond has to be formed because you may need to rely on that person in a moment's notice and I would definately have second thoughts about going out there with someone I got a bad vibe from or with the attitude of "how hard can this be, I read about it online".  (btw that was me a year ago and FYI, no bad vibes from the guys i fished with yet).

I've seen and read the accounts of many veteran kayak fisherman on this site and when I first started doing this I thought to myself "I got a kayak, I got a rod and reel why not do the same thing".  I quickly learned that it's not quite as simple as reading someone's post and going out there.  Conditions change, fitness is different from one paddler to another and there are A LOT of variables to take into consideration.  There are at least three instances in the short time that I've been fishing on my kayak and thought to myself "you're in over your head, this was a bad idea".  I no longer go into any kayak fishing outing the same blind enthusiasm I did when I first got my kayak.  Yes I wanna go every chance I get, but if I don't have someone to fish with, I think twice.  If the conditions aren't ideal for my ability I stand on the shore and kick the dirt, but the kayak stays on top of the car.  Hopefully by slowing down and being patient like this I can last long enough and get good enough to make the cover of a magazine and when I do, I will probably use it as my avatar, buy 100 copies and use them as my Christmas card and will sell autographed copies at the swap meet.  Nah, just kidding. But you will be getting a Christmas card.

peace, Paz

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 03:41:40 PM by MPaz »
Tandem Kayak Fishing:  Never die alone

Offline Mr. SNUFFALUPAGUS

• Sailing off to find humility. I can't find any :)
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 09:02:04 PM »
funny thing, SPOTS.

I'm surprised that anyone would come here to get information on spots.
how to's, rigging help, war stories - sure.

now if folks are willing to share some local knowlage. thats all good, great in fact. but one shouldn't expect it. 
certain folks on the fourm have been kind enough to share a little local 411 with me (you know who you are) 
and should any of you other guys decide to ride with me sometime I'll show you some of the places I like to fish (except for a certain spot I made a promise not to reveal :D

as for arrogant skin divers or other sportsmen, only advice I can offer Hugh is: Just ignore them and go about what you do best and let the chips fall where they may. nothing irritates an irritating arrogant person better than being ignored  ;D
oh yeah, wearing a pink jumpsuit is also a surefire way to get people to leave you alone  ;)

Offline OCStripeBass

• Team Clam Bed straight outta jerz
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 10:09:03 PM »
as for arrogant skin divers or other sportsmen, only advice I can offer Hugh is: Just ignore them and go about what you do best and let the chips fall where they may. nothing irritates an irritating arrogant person better than being ignored  ;D
oh yeah, wearing a pink jumpsuit is also a surefire way to get people to leave you alone  ;)

Great advice! For the rest of you guys...just breath. Relax. Think of something your grateful for.

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 07:48:19 AM »
I am beginning to like you more and more.  ;D

OH MY GOD...What is this world coming to? Hahaha!

I guess we all CAN get along. ;D

Offline hugh janus

• Rock!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 09:21:43 AM »
I was just reading this guys myspace page(okay last night).  He writes about the gene higa tournament (diving) and his experience with it.  Anyways, he says how if he had seen the bigger uku's, like the guys that won, he would have "guarunteed have shot them" and I guess won...

WOW!  I wish I was that good to where if I even see a fish I know I'm going to get it.  Man, I would have 100+ pound ahi's, marlins, etc. How can anyone say that?  Why can't this guy just simply say "i didn't see anything" and leave it at that? 

I think I figured out what bothers me about this guy.
I know who I look up to when it comes to diving, and I know what they stand for.  The guys that I look up to are very skilled, friendly, promote the sport, and humble!  These guys, I think, are excellent role models in that they show how one can be very good at what he/she does yet not have to boast about it. 

This other guy is looked up to be the newer divers. He is not afraid or ashammed of his self promotion.    Now, that being said, is this the type of person that should be looked up to?   

Ahnkochee

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 12:17:37 PM »
Dats what we call "TANTARAN" suffering from teeny weenie syndrome.  ::)

Offline Mr. SNUFFALUPAGUS

• Sailing off to find humility. I can't find any :)
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »
Dats what we call "TANTARAN" suffering from teeny weenie syndrome.  ::)

so you are saying that Hugh's nemisis is hung like a braille dot?!  ;D

Offline PounUmOut

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 08:39:43 PM »
When those irritating divers and stand-up paddleboarders bother you just start throwing choke palu in the water. If they stick around then you might get to see how fas dey can swim or paddle. I don't think either of those categories of people prefers bloody water though.

-PounUm

Offline whipit

• Any day fishing is better than a day at work.
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 09:59:41 PM »
Figuring stuff out is the fun of it.  For me, the art of whipping is all about figuring things out.  So many variables involved.  Other types of fishing aren't much different.  Thanks for not sharing the secrets and keeping it fun for me.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2017, 03:14:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

sailfish