Author Topic: VHF Radio  (Read 3699 times)

Offline PaulW

VHF Radio
« on: October 16, 2010, 09:31:11 PM »
Any advice on radio brands - especially what brands to avoid? My new Hobie won't get here until December some time, but I want to get a head start on safety gear.

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
Re: VHF Radio
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 10:18:39 PM »
We have the Standard Horizon floating VHF and we like it just fine. :) We used to have the West Marine VHF150 and it's a good radio too. Don't know of any that you should stay away from.

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline HIyakker

• Fish, it's what's for dinner
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 11:56:57 PM »
horizon from West Marine FTW, I dunked mine fror about a minute and it still works.
 but even before that sometimes I can't catch a whole conversation. FYI
Prowler Trident 13 --- <*)))))><

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
    • Writs of a Drifting Son
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:27:04 AM »
I have the Humminbird VHF 55s radio- I paid double the amount that it is going for now online, just a few months ago from a local shop (P&P Kayaks- Big Island.  Amazon has good prices.  It's submersible, and has two battery backs for it (rechargeable Ni Cad and one you load double A's into). I'm happy with it, but humminbird's site doesn't have much info about it so I'm wondering if it has been discontinued.

My only concern is that it is a Humminbird, after hearing about so many of their fishfinders crapping out on guys I fish with, I'm concerned about longevity.

Ahnko Honu

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:57:05 AM »
I have a Standard Horizon, and an early Humminbird but the Humminbird I keep in a waterproof clear case just to be safe.

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 12:20:54 PM »
i bought a 70 dollar radio at Windward boats.  i can't remember the brand, but it came with a headset to use also...STAY AWAY!  it is a POS  it lasted maybe 4 trips, and WWboats doesn't do warranties cuz they dont' make the radio there.....never had probs there before, but that one rubbed me the wrong way.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline YakHawaii

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 12:55:33 PM »
I just purchased a Standard Horizon HX850S from GPS City for about $150. It's a floating marine transceiver with GPS. It's submersible, has a high intensity strobe light and DSC (distress and POS Polling). After having purchase 2 (previous) uniden voyager models that last about one and one-half years each (I like the small size)... but not worth the break down for the price. We'll see how the standard horizon goes. I just sent the Uniden Voyager for warranty service. We'll see how that goes. And I will be getting my 343c humminbird fishfinder back this week after it failed after 2 years. Cost me $95 to get it repaired. I do like the features of the Standard Horizon and after reading about new changes to VHF radio's, they must now carry the DSC feature. So look for one with that feature.
“If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” ~ Curly Howard quote.

Offline PaulW

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »
Thanks for all of the input guys. See you out there in December!

Offline AlohaDan

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 09:16:42 AM »
Ji is right on.

No matter what they say about waterproof, put it in a waterproof bag.

Gave South Africa World Cup a run. Next up Brazil

Offline MAUIpelagix

• Ultra Member
  • MAUI NUI
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 05:48:27 PM »
 ;) ;) good info guys, i will look into all types! :) :)aloha
THIRTEEN-TEN

Offline eatmofish

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 06:18:24 PM »
I got the HX850S as well, got it free off ebay since it came damaged and I received a full refund after I sent them pics. Just had a couple chips outta the side spanning the waterseal so I gooped the crap outta everything, including sealing the battery in, but it can still charge in the cradle. haven't submersed it yet but it works great for now and cant beat the price. Even if its waterproof if no have warranty goop the crap outta it imho

Offline PaulW

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 06:51:20 PM »
Decided to splurge and got the HX851. The GPS has waypoint navigation and there were a few other changes from the 850S.

Offline HOLOHOLO

• "The Wind is Your Friend"
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 07:38:47 PM »
Doc- that cheap radio at WWBoats did not have a submersible rating.  Only JIS4 I think - (Splash-proof).  It would require a functional dry bag to survive long at sea.  

We need a unit with JIS7 or 8 protection (waterproof to a few feet for an extended period of time).  The bag's still a good idea.

Here's one source of info on the JIS ratings http://www.captfklanier.com/articles/art7.htm

I shopped a long time, looking for a cheap model with the basics (what more do you need, right?) and ended changing my mind at the last minute as I read more about features.  Ended up with a very interesting radio and a great price.  

It's the COBRA MR HH475 FLT BT

https://cobra.com/detail/hh475-floating-vhf-radio-with-bluetooth-wireless-technology.cfm
Floats / JIS7 Submersable
1, 3, or 6 Watts of Power
Weather Alert, NOAA,
Unlimited memory scan, TRI-WATCH, ETC
Great speaker/Blocks Background Noise
Replays Missed VHF Calls with Rewind-Say-Again™
Pairs to Your Cell Phone With Bluetooth® Wireless Technology
BURP function that vibrates water out of the speaker grill
- improves speaker performance- (a big headache on the water)
Full accessories kit.

Yes, this thing can automatically place and receive phonecalls from your bluetooth phone.  Works great. Sounds great.
The Rewind-Say-Again is the most noteworthy feature though.  It stores recordings of the last 30 seconds of transmissions for you to review at any time.  Think about that.  

Most days, in a mixed group of yakkers, 25% or more of the radio calls are drowned out, or weak or garbled due to wind and water on the users microphone.  And then there are the mumblers,..  No worries, just hit "rewind".  ( I am playing back the chatter from yesterdays KBay run as I write this post)

Retails for 199.  Walmart has right now for 150 with shipping to Hawaii.  Best deal around.  
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cobra-MRHH-475-FLT-BT-Marine-VHF-Floating-Transciever-Radio-w-Bluetooth/13989213?sourceid=1500000000000003142050&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=13989213

There are cheaper COBRA versions (without Float/Bluetooth/Rewind) as low as $115.  Great all around radios, I think.  Especially combined with a GPS unit or Smartphone with GPS.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:55:22 PM by HOLOHOLO »
"Real Men Don't Furl!"

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 07:17:26 AM »
Looks solid.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline Westsidesurfer

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »
My cheap Uniden Atlantis 250G has lasted a couple of years so far but that Cobra looks really good! How long does the battery charge last for you? I sometimes stay out for about 11 hours and one charge on the Uniden lasts for at least 3 trips plus has a AA battery pack for back up power.

Offline HOLOHOLO

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 03:04:19 PM »
Rated at
8 hrs at 6 watts,
11-12 hrs at 3 watts
16 hrs at 1 watt.

Plus the additional alkie battery pack, which runs a whopping 18 hrs at full power!

You can turn off bluetooth to get longer run times.

So, no problem running all day, or night.

I sure hope you got a nice cushy seat on your yak.  :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:29:00 PM by HOLOHOLO »
"Real Men Don't Furl!"

Offline Westsidesurfer

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 05:13:16 PM »
Mahalo Holoholo! If it comes with the battery pack, I think I'll get one. Sometimes I have a ton of messages on my phone when I get in so the Bluetooth feature would be great to have. Nobody would know that I'm not at work!

I have a 3 seater jet ski so I sit, stand up and stretch, and even lay down while drifting so 11 hours really doesn't seem that long. If it wasn't illegal to ride at night, I would still be out there!

Offline HOLOHOLO

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 06:37:08 PM »
That's explains alot.  :D  Awesome Ride.  Time to post that baby in "Caddilyaks".

BTW, can do those things on the Adventure Island too.  And no huhu with ethanol.  ::)  

A 6 watt VHF is important with the kinda distance you cover.  1 watt is roughly = 1 mile.   Standing up, at full power, it would have awesome range.

It's real EZ to receive calls.  The bluetooth is powerful and will connect to my Iphone (running nautical charts) tucked away in a drypak.  Just press the VHF's BT button to answer (this crazy thing even has ringtones!).  Will not mess up your other bluetooth paired headsets.  

To dial out, you you can use the phones address book, or press a VHF button for last number redial (I do this), or even VHF voice dial w/ some phones.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 06:42:25 PM by HOLOHOLO »
"Real Men Don't Furl!"

Ahnko Honu

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 11:41:47 PM »
Whoa, I'm still trying to figure how to set the time on my VHS recorder.  :o ::) ;D

Offline HOLOHOLO

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 12:47:44 AM »
Ahnko - It's the 90's now!  You can get a DVR that sets the time by itself. 

THAT"S progress.  :D
"Real Men Don't Furl!"

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2017, 07:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

moana 2-4