Author Topic: VHF Radio  (Read 3699 times)

Ahnko Honu

Re: VHF Radio
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 08:09:13 AM »
Whatsa DVR?  ??? :D ;)

nightstalker808

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 12:20:27 PM »
Cobra Marine MR HH325 VP VHF Radio
i got one of this it's waterproof battery last pretty long i never charge it since the 1st time i charge it.. 3 trips and still full bar while scanning when i'm out on the ocean..but kinda big..

Offline Westsidesurfer

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 09:14:59 AM »
I picked up a Cobra MR HH475 thanks to Holoholo's recommendation and took it out last week. The Bluetooth feature is great! I even took a call as I was fighting a fish and didn't even need to touch the radio at all. I set it to automatic answer after two rings so you just start talking without having to push any buttons. No more long lists of missed calls and messages when I get back to the dock!

Offline HOLOHOLO

• "The Wind is Your Friend"
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 09:47:06 PM »
Hilarious!  I can just imagine your line zzzzing, you cranking a pelagic and taking a tech support call at the same time. 

Life is good...

Here's little recording from the "memory rewind" feature - taken from a recent Pokai bay trip.

See if you can guess who the voices are. 
"Real Men Don't Furl!"

Offline Honza

• ;)
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 09:46:26 AM »
Hi All,

I am planning to by yak fishing soon but before I would like buy some necessary things for safety. I was fishing only from shore an occasionally form the boat.

When I was reading about the radios you have it seems that  the waterproof is a must...is there any other important aspect of buying a radio?

Thank you for your help! ;D

Exercise and Fishing that is Kayak fishing

nightstalker808

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 10:30:48 AM »
The waterproof and floating ones are perfect but kinda expensive if your on low budget ^_^ as long it's waterproof and can call the coast guard I'm all good ^_^

Offline Honza

• ;)
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 08:22:55 PM »
Thanks, that helps. I am actually on small budget ;D

Offline cliffs2yak

• Ultra Member
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 08:52:06 AM »
I picked up a Cobra MR HH475 thanks to Holoholo's recommendation and took it out last week. The Bluetooth feature is great! I even took a call as I was fighting a fish and didn't even need to touch the radio at all. I set it to automatic answer after two rings so you just start talking without having to push any buttons. No more long lists of missed calls and messages when I get back to the dock!

hmmm... no more long list of missed calls from the wifey after a long sail...

WS,  thanks for the review.  Looks like I gotta bite the bullet on this one to help maintain comm with the wifey.

c2y

Offline Westsidesurfer

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 08:58:11 AM »
Thanks, that helps. I am actually on small budget ;D
Even if you're on a small budget, don't skimp on getting a comfortable PFD that you can handle wearing for hours at a time and a good waterproof VHF radio. I keep my radio on my PFD too, just in case I get separated from my jet ski or kayak.

Just yesterday, I had to tow my friend and his friend (2 guys on 1 ski) back to the dock. I was about a mile away and couldn't see them but they called me on the radio and I found them. They ran out of gas and one guy was in the water and couldn't get back on the ski without flipping the other guy off. I ended up towing the ski with one guy on and one guy trolling off the back. Luckily, no strikes on the way in. They were also lucky that they were close to shore in pretty calm water and not too far from the harbor. If they were way out there and in choppy water with no radio, they would have been screwed!

Offline Honza

• ;)
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 03:27:09 PM »
Hello,

"Even if you're on a small budget, don't skimp on getting a comfortable PFD that you can handle wearing for hours at a time and a good waterproof VHF radio. I keep my radio on my PFD too, just in case I get separated from my jet ski or kayak. "

For the PFD, I won't be cheap. That will keep me afloat ;) Thanks for the advice

nightstalker808

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 09:27:36 PM »
I get one pfd from walmart it works fine. I have one for me and my passenger ^_^ but sport authority get some nice ones I never know I could bought one with pockets but I'll upgrade later ^_^ as long it's coast guard approve you should be ok. ^_^

Offline Westsidesurfer

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2010, 08:26:46 AM »
The first PFD I ever got was from Sports Authority. Looked nice and had pockets but when I got out in the water, the front part was too high. It would ride up into my neck and choke me! It was too uncomfortable to wear all of the time so I would leave it in the back of the kayak. Not good because it's hard to put on a PFD when you are already in the water. I ended up buying a nice, comfortable one with pockets from Cabelas for only about $35 and free shipping at the time. I'll try to find a link later.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2017, 07:26:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

takoman