Author Topic: No more Ciguatera test kits  (Read 7859 times)

Offline Rusty

No more Ciguatera test kits
« on: December 30, 2010, 07:17:27 PM »
Caught a Roi yesterday and wanted to test it for cig.  I went to Nanko's and Roy's to find a test kit.  I was told that the company that makes the kits will no longer be making them because they are not cost effective.  How are people testing fish for cig now?  Looks like i'll be feeding him to the plants.

Ahnko Honu

Re: No more Ciguatera test kits
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 07:31:33 PM »
Did you catch your Roi in Kaneohe Bay?  Roi has the highest incidence of ciguatera, the Kaneohe Bay Roi have the highest rates of ciguatera.   I wouldn't waste my money to test an  inside Kaneohe Bay caught Roi since they are almost guarantee to test positive.

Offline surf-bum

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 07:35:07 PM »
Ahnko. What about the koles from there? Same?

Ahnko Honu

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 08:39:24 PM »
Hanabata daze (mid 60s-early70s) my dad and me would spear Kole and Manini regularly in the bay no problems but not even sure if ciguatera existed back then in the bay.  Nowadays I personally wouldn't chance um since Kole are known ciguatoxin carriers, and I'm guessing make up a large percentage of the the Roi diet.  I spear my Kole now outside Lanikai Reef or "Bird Turds", seems like less cig in fish from rough waters. 

Offline Rusty

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 09:20:31 AM »
I didn't catch him in Kaneohe Bay.  Even if i had the test i think i would still pass on testing him, from the sound of it most of them seem to have cig.  I was just wondering if anyone knew where you could buy a testing kit now.

Because i won't be testing or eating any Roi should i remove all of the ones i catch in the future since they are an invasive species?

Offline eatmofish

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 10:55:58 AM »
Because i won't be testing or eating any Roi should i remove all of the ones i catch in the future since they are an invasive species?

They make great plant food 

Offline surf-bum

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 12:18:51 PM »
I always thought koles from the east and south sides were relatively safe. But I could definitely be wrong. I think cig has been around for long time. Its just that we didnt really know what it was. Thanks for the advice Ahnko.

Ahnko Honu

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 03:08:29 PM »
I think as a rule the rougher Windward side is safer as far as cig is concerned the algae at bottom of food chain where the ciguatoxin is originally produced growing better in calm waters, and that is why I think Kaneohe Bay is the exception to the Windward side rule it's protected waters being very calm most of the time.  Agricultural and golf course run-offs also contributes to the algae growth.  The waters of Kaneohe Bay not the same as from hanabata daze.  :'(

Offline HOLOHOLO

• "The Wind is Your Friend"
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 05:15:50 PM »
Hey - this is a pretty good advice column!  My turn:

Dear "Uncle Ji"

Please help me with burning question.  If I catch a gorgeous 17lb 'Omilu between the "2" and the "K" buoy at the mouth of K-Bay, can I eat um then?

Signed  "Chance Um"

"Real Men Don't Furl!"

Ahnko Honu

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 05:39:57 PM »
Hey - this is a pretty good advice column!  My turn:

Dear "Uncle Ji"

Please help me with burning question.  If I catch a gorgeous 17lb 'Omilu between the "2" and the "K" buoy at the mouth of K-Bay, can I eat um then?

Signed  "Chance Um"

You only live once.  CHANCE UM!  ;)

Offline BUS-LINE

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »
Awww man too bad they doing away with the CIGUA CHECKs. :'( Even if they were a little pricey I still bought um cause it's at least cheaper than a trip to the hospital.Hopefully the STATE or another company will take over for the peeps sake.

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
    • http://www.hawaiianmetalworks.com
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
I was just always curious why those d@mn test kits were so expensive!!
Check out my Facebook page: "Hawaiian Metal Art" for Custom Rudders, Gaffs, Kage's or anything that you want done with metal, aluminum or stainless steel,  pm me ;) !!

Offline Kahikolu

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »
The way I look at it,  it's structured  like insurance.... the greater the fear of loss, the greater the premium$ for peace of mind/stability....

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 09:05:51 PM »
Yeah...it's like the commercial that the HPD has; supposedly CARING for us: "CLICK-IT or TICK-IT".
They care SOOOO much about our safety, they UPPED the fine to over $90 !!!!!!
Doing it because they care about our "safety"...yeah...right....my @ss!!!!!
MM
p.s. Same bull they have about not wanting billboards, because it would distract the drivers. What about the Holiday time of year where they put those darn cars that are all smashed up on the side of the road they put there with large signs that say "Don't drink and Drive?" I was behind a girl driver some years ago that, while she was looking at that mock "wreck", rear-ended the car in front of her at the red traffic light (yeah...Castle Junction)
Check out my Facebook page: "Hawaiian Metal Art" for Custom Rudders, Gaffs, Kage's or anything that you want done with metal, aluminum or stainless steel,  pm me ;) !!

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 09:08:29 PM »
Oh, regarding the cig test kits. It's probably easy to make/manuf, so they could lower the cost to 1/2, and they'd probably sell 10x more, so they would make MUCH more profit!! Hmm....if the Government cares SO much about our "safety", maybe THEY could subsidize it??!!
 :D :D :D :D :D
I'd give a piece of fish to the stray cats, but I'm too much of an animal lover!!! :'(

Offline SteveO

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 08:43:36 AM »

I'd give a piece of fish to the stray cats, but I'm too much of an animal lover!!! :'(

I don't see any problem with being an animal lover and still giving it to a stray cat! Are cats even animals! ;) ;D  ;D ;D ;D

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 06:40:53 PM »

I don't see any problem with being an animal lover and still giving it to a stray cat! Are cats even animals! ;) ;D  ;D ;D ;D

SLAP

Offline BUS-LINE

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 07:44:45 PM »
The only cats I like are the ones with a landing strip. :D

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 08:22:57 PM »
The only cats I like are the ones with a landing strip. :D
You a SKUNK fan?

Offline Lawai'a.com

• Ultra Member
  • gotta get lucky sometime!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 07:27:54 AM »
landing strip kitty meeeeeooooooow ;D ;D

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2017, 07:16:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Tigers North shore run