Author Topic: Help w/ getting monster fish home  (Read 5525 times)

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
Re: Help w/ getting monster fish home
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 06:29:17 AM »
Good call Brian, i was gonna say.. Chris rides a scupper pro and landed and brought in a sailfish.  i think you'd be listing pretty bad if you put a marlin or sailfish on your tramps or aka's, until they break off that is :D  We are all about safety here, whenever someone new comes on board, pretty much everyone's welcome post says something along the lines of,  be safe, check out the safety section, there are a lot of fish inshore, so don't go to the deep blue on your first trip on a kayak.  Safety is the number 1 concern. 
IMHO, power boats should be used for nothing in this sport, except emergency reasons, or safety boats in the numerous tournaments that are held here.  Most people in the kayak fishing community, especially here in Hawaii i'm noticing are purists.  No motors, no sails, no PB or jetski assistance, just paddle/peddle.  I personally have no problems with these, but i prefer to keep it pure, almost bought a sail kit, but started to feel a bit guilty about that.  so i paddle.  Sorry for the rant, but i am pretty passionate about this sport.
Remember how the old school whalers used to kill whales?  Harpoon, small wooden boat and one hell of a sleigh ride.  they are much bigger than sailfish and Marlin ;)   Aloha.
(in no way am i putting down power boaters, jet skiiers and kayak sailors, just not for me at this point in my life.)
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline Lawai'a.com

• Ultra Member
  • gotta get lucky sometime!!!
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 06:34:25 AM »
harpoon and small wooden boat now is just animal to think about that must have been pretty unreal to see

Offline AlohaDan

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 10:05:26 AM »
There's a BIG difference between 50lb and 300+

With a large fish you can't load him/her ontop if your going to exceed the capacity of the yak for example. You would be forced into a lash and tow method.

There is also the meat problem. You want the fish iced down ASAP. Particularly ahi.

I have an AI.Theoretical advantage on getting a big fish home. BUT I tend to agree with holoholo. Once the fish is "landed" what difference does it make.

The question could be eliminated, or at least reduced by permitting C&R with a weight allowance based on measurement for marlin anyway.  

See:

http://www.bluemarlin3.com/tbf/calculator.php

You can get a good length estimate comparatively easily to girth. But the latter can be estimated/measured too. It's a safety question here as a larger fish may be more aggressive. Bill Archer's site has tips on how to release them. Basically use a circle hook, fish the the barb removed, and if you can't dehook safely cut the line as close to the fish as possible.  Note under the current rules you still getting marlin points, but forgoing weight bonus. But some measurement formulae should be OK. Heck we are using one for ulua now. But bump marlin C&R points to 50 or even 100 like the power boats do.

Also another modification to the rule would be if you use a PB to get him/her back to port it better be over 300# (typical tourny rule) thus encouraging more C&R.

Gave South Africa World Cup a run. Next up Brazil

Offline Lawai'a.com

• Ultra Member
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 10:38:53 AM »
i guess the difference it makes if you use a pb for assistance is pride i was proud to know i caught landed and got my marlin home with out any help from a pb, but if you guys dont feel the same way thats your opinion  and i wouldnt really call grabing the leader and cuting it a cnr with an ulua you have controlled the fish and had it in your hands. for me to consider it to be a cnr you have to contrl the fish and take the hook out any other way to me is just a lost fish but that is just my opinion

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 12:05:14 PM »
COOL, HOLOHOLO...I just dont want anyone including you to think any rules or beliefs matter more than personal safety. If you hook a monster and you dont want to deal with it, cut it off. If you decide to tangle with one, I hope you have a visualization of what you going to do. I hope to see you in next seasons Makahiki so you can explain to us how you did it (landed your billfish) ;)!

I think we will have this ironed out soon and have a Marlin cnr points protocol intact for next season. Probably -100 points for being silly and letting it go. J/K!

Good going on this thread, it will help a lot! :)

Offline AlohaDan

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »
Darn rules.  >:( I guess I'll have to forgo alloints for getting these guys to bring this mahi home. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gave South Africa World Cup a run. Next up Brazil

Offline Lawai'a.com

• Ultra Member
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2011, 06:49:26 PM »
i think you could paddle that in ;)

Offline wetokole

• Ultra Member
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2011, 06:54:45 PM »
Or make it paddle you back in..  :D ;D

Offline HOLOHOLO

• "The Wind is Your Friend"
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2011, 08:12:21 PM »
Wet, funny you should mention that.  

This lucky dude took a 4 hr, 11 mile sleigh ride on his yak (likely in the wrong direction) courtesy of a 300 lb marlin.  

In another episode, a 125 lb tuna was brought up - but had to be given over to the boat. Too much fish for yak, in their view..

These were in glassy conditions, with a safety boat in tow.  

It makes for great viewing and food for thought.

I'm 110% in agreement and synch with Rocket.  Safety first.  And look out for your buddy.  Mahalo for weighing in Isaac!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 08:30:05 PM by HOLOHOLO »
"Real Men Don't Furl!"

Offline Makaio

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2011, 09:35:39 PM »
This lucky dude took a 4 hr, 11 mile sleigh ride on his yak (likely in the wrong direction) courtesy of a 300 lb marlin.  
These were in glassy conditions, with a safety boat in tow.  
That's a 300lb marlin?  I wonder if I can borrow thier scale for the makahiki  ;)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:19:53 PM by Makaio »

Offline HOLOHOLO

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2011, 10:17:17 PM »
I think that was the 150 lb one.

There were 2 being fought at the same time, by different guys.  The big one was landed on 20lb test I think.  Whatta day.

But I would like to see that weigh in too.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 10:19:04 PM by HOLOHOLO »
"Real Men Don't Furl!"

Offline Lawai'a.com

• Ultra Member
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 04:48:00 AM »
that marlin looked like a stripey or sail by skinny it was and was far from 300# looked to be about 80-90 #

Offline wetokole

• Ultra Member
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 01:55:12 PM »
All fish viewed in vids would have been in Andy's lap being paddled back to launch site.. :D ;D

Offline Jonah and the Whale

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Never says in the video, did those guys paddle out and back all by themselves?

Offline Chucko

• Nebraska AquaHunter-USN RET
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 04:54:47 PM »
Never says in the video, did those guys paddle out and back all by themselves?

No they Mothership
Nebraska Aquahunter member since 2010

Offline wetokole

• Ultra Member
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 06:39:04 PM »
Those mothershippers.... ;D

Offline HOLOHOLO

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 09:00:10 PM »
LOL!
"Real Men Don't Furl!"

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »
Those mothershippers.... ;D

Frikin mutha shippers! :D :D :D

Offline yelloman

• Ultra Member
  • reel nice!
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2011, 10:42:48 AM »

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2011, 04:23:44 PM »
this is an intresting thread.. I was just reading this through in regards to recent events... can you refresh me Ike on this.. i know we talked last night but maybe for others to understand it better..

1) big fish caught and landed alone but to big to paddle to the shore

a) your wing man and partner is permitted to help you haul a big fish to the beach.. there is no point split.. this is all good... as in the case of Andy and Steve..

b) the fish is just to big for you or your wingman/ partner to paddle back to the beach together.. you have to get power boat assistance to get the big fish to shore.... this is considered a DQ? just like what happened to Ike? are there any Makahiki points for this?

I was wondering Ike if you could clarify the rules for everyone.. Thanks bro

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 07:32:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

makahiki banner