Author Topic: THE NEW MENACE  (Read 6567 times)

Offline Mr. SNUFFALUPAGUS

• Sailing off to find humility. I can't find any :)
THE NEW MENACE
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:42:51 PM »
OK, some of my favorite shoreline flats where I whip for pappio from shore have been taken over by a new menace...  where there were a few hardcore standup paddling surfers - now there are hordes of Klueless Kooks who decided that standup paddling is the new "in" thing. dumbass tour and rental outfits now rent the damned things to tourists.  it used to be on occasion I'd see one or two core standup paddlers outside the break catching waves early, getting thier ride, turning out and returning to the lineup like a traditional surfer would - the only difference is the standup guys would stay standing on thier board and get into the wave early (somtimes pissing off the less gracious of traditional guys - but usually all was well and they would take thier turns and let others catch too.)
generally surfers and shoreline whippers get along fine - as surfers drop off the wave and return to the lineup well outside casting range
these dumbass Noob standup guys just paddle about whereever they please - not caring that thier idiot splashing, and whitewater riding ankle biters inshore is disturbing others. they are seemingly oblivious to the fact that I could easily whack them with a 1/4 ounce Kastmaster.  It's only the fact that I try to be polite and not zing one off at them intentionally Or have good casting control enough to not accidently hit one.
very frustrating to see omilu crashing bait 15 -20 feet from shore, and get ready to pitch a lure at them only to have some kook on a standup paddleboard come flying in from outside on a whitewater ankle biter wave and scare them off... or worse paddle by in 18-24" of water and linger in my casting radius because they are too clueless and lack the skill to paddle outside and go where they belong.  this happens all the time now and I'm sick of it. (I whip ultralight tackle by the way, and at most I cast 40 feet or so from where I stand. it's not like I'm launching 4-5 ounce poppers on 40 pound line 50 yards or more, I'm taking my fair share of room and it's not really much)
So Should I start hitting these people with my lures or what? I'm tired of missing out on good fishing because clueless fools think they are goods gift to the water beacuse they happen to be some sort of surfer.
(really - who owns the ocean and waves anyway?)
the arrogance and lack of respect surfers and standup paddlers have these days for other beach users is sickening as of late - so much so that I don't surf much anymore because the water is full of assholes. and now some of the assholes that have made me all but quit surfing are starting to invade my shoreline whipping sessions with thier super floaty standup boards in shallow water that most surfers would'nt go into.

AAAGHHH!!!!!!! >:(

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
Re: THE NEW MENACE
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 01:06:01 PM »
Brah, there's ignorant people everywhere! Paddle Surf Hawaii owner, Blaine Chambers hates that sh!+ too and is trying to do his part to teach the kooks. I personally don't think the kooks realize they're stupid and they won't think the message is for them. Here's a page from paddlesurfhawaii.com about kooks or cool...

http://paddlesurfhawaii.com/default.asp?doctype=mm&C_ID=129

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »
Just venting.

But the Kook or Kool article you linked was encouraging.

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 07:07:24 PM »
I feel you jesse. over here the north shore is infested with super cool style stand up paddle people. I have never tried it and never will. i get my kicks sky diving now when i want a good rush. the attitude of many of the surfers has put me off and sometime i am almost ashamed to be associated with there bad attitudes. i just feel lucky i got my north shore days in the 80's. I was lucky enough to session with mark richards, shaun thomson, cheyne horan, tom curran and local surfers micheal ho, dane kealoha, and buttons those were the good old days when surfers were cool. the new generation is just to much for me. I thought kayak fishing was growing quickly but it seems like every one wants to stand up paddle. I got one word for that sport unless your actually catching good waves its very BORING. give me a yak and a pole anyday. throw in a couple of good friends and it doesnt get much better than that.

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Offline wg

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:19:04 PM »
haven't seen many of the Kool's, most everyone I see falls into the Kook category with no regard for others.  Hopefully the SUP community will start policing up their own.

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:44:55 PM »
I hope we (myself included) not being kooks too. I have tried beach boy style a few times, I need more practice :D. I have many friends that excel in the sport, some kayak fish too. I am sure we sometimes look like kooks to everyone else, I have.

But if you are on the water in/on any vessel and you are not paying attention to all the things around you including your fellow watermen, then you one kook for sure.

Ahnkochee

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 07:45:05 AM »
The only encounters (2) I've had with Stand-up Paddleboarders they were both young attractive bikini clad haole girls who gave me a big smile and a friendly wave, the only danger they posed was distracting me enough to risk collision with Flat Island, but my superior seamanship, and cat-like reflexes prevailed.   ;)

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »
The only encounters (2) I've had with Stand-up Paddleboarders they were both young attractive bikini clad haole girls who gave me a big smile and a friendly wave, the only danger they posed was distracting me enough to risk collision with Flat Island, but my superior seamanship, and cat-like reflexes prevailed.   ;)

Good thing you're such a skilled ocean man! ;)

I HATE it when that happens! :o HAHAHAHAHA! ;D

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline AlohaDan

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 02:22:43 PM »
Don't know if this is the regular state BS, but it might help.

http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dbor/userconflictsrpt.htm

Gave South Africa World Cup a run. Next up Brazil

Ahnkochee

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 06:50:41 PM »
The first image that entered my mind when I first saw your topic title:

The image I remember:

:) ;) :D ;D

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 06:52:28 PM »
I hope we (myself included) not being kooks too. I have tried beach boy style a few times, I need more practice :D. I have many friends that excel in the sport, some kayak fish too. I am sure we sometimes look like kooks to everyone else, I have.

But if you are on the water in/on any vessel and you are not paying attention to all the things around you including your fellow watermen, then you one kook for sure.

I don't hate all standup paddlers.
I'm just venting about 90% of them... the rude or clueless ones who don't seem to care that others are using the ocean nearby for something entirely different than surfing/wave riding, and that by encroaching on my casting radius they 1) put themseves in harms way (hooks are sharp) 2) ruin my enjoyment of the shore and solitude (I shoreline whip to be alone) 3) basically seem to think that the world revolves around them, and it's up to me to avoid them.  
the good standup folks are outside, looking good, doing it right and having a good time - or giving Uncle Ji a "tingly feeling"

Ahnkochee

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 07:17:21 AM »

the good standup folks are outside, looking good, doing it right and having a good time - or giving Uncle Ji a "tingly feeling"

Nowadays the only time I get a "tingly feeling" when out in my canoe is when I've been sitting for a couple hours straight and my @$$ falls asleep and goes numb, and the sciatic nerve in my left leg flares up, the joys of growing old.  :-\ ;D ;)

Offline bonkey

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 03:40:26 AM »
one of my friends dad standup paddleboards and he ties a bungee to his ankle with a leader hook and grub.  so far he hasnt caught anything but ill let you guys know what happens when he does get a strike, it should be interesting.

Offline blood_line

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 10:49:41 AM »
I feel ya JesseJ,  Lahaina side is loaded with them and its ridiculous how they think they can just hug the shore when people are fishing.  The last time we went dunking some tourist/novice paddle boarder figures he can just run the whole stretch of beach without bothering anyone.  Wrong. 

There were groups of guys all with bait in the water which he was passing right over.  I saw that and I was thinking to myself " Oh man this guy is gonna closeline himself on my line".  He reaches my line and low and behold he hits it and falls off his board. Hahaha  :D He gets back on his board and gives me dirty looks like it's my fault.  :o I brush it off figuring ahh tourist it's alright.  He goes on his way down the rest of the empty beach. 

Not long later here he is again and guess what, he's running on the inside.  I was thinking about shouting a "warning" but no one is that dumb right?  But despite prior encounter with my line he fricken hits it again  >:(  This time breaking my lead and dragging my line.  This time he didn't fall but was on all fours on his board and I'm pretty sure he was tangled.  So I turn my drag off before he hurt himself and again I get those fricken dirty looks.  He untangles and goes on his way with not one word so I give shout my mind at him and like that he was gone.   >:(  The rest of the guys got a kick out of it but I was a little pissed and a little amused at how stupid some people can be.  It was his fault we didn't catch anything that day!  :P

Yes I agree we can all sometimes be the idiots too but if your aware of what your doing it's not to hard to avoid situations like this.  Kayaking or SUPing we just gotta remember we aren't the only people out there doing our thing.  Lesson learned for both of us that day.

Offline blood_line

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 10:53:12 AM »
I wish it was a chick stand up paddle boarder that got caught in my line,  I would have swam out there and played David Hasselhoff  8) and drag her back into shore and gave her CPR, necessary or not.  :o  ;D

Offline will

• produce!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 11:12:27 PM »
hooked our first one man canoe tonight on a live oama, guestimated weight a total 180 lbs.  very annoying at the time but as far as rules of the water, I was told that fishing should never get in the way of navigation... but I never fish in the shipping lanes and always hate when people ship through my fishing lanes

Offline XQ

• photography at a fair price
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 11:21:21 PM »
i had a surfer try cut me of a wave once - don't know what he was thinking - legs vs kayak - not good his board went right under me as its so boyant - he hit side of yak and that was the last time it happend
www.LONDON808.com
Photography for any occasion
priced for everyones wallet

Offline blood_line

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 12:07:17 AM »
That made me laugh for real ex. Not cool man hahahaha.  :P  ;D

Offline XQ

• photography at a fair price
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 01:10:20 AM »
they do it all the time in waikiki - being from england - i look and sound like a tourist - haveing lived here for 2 years and being married to a local girl - i know what goes and what dont - this guy had been cutting people of all day - (i take my yak out behind the aquarium and catch waves - good fun )- lucky he dident catch a paddle on the way under or evn worse caych me on his leash

its just like kite surfers at kahala - if they want to run over my lines fine but when they catch there legs and get all cut up on it - not my fault- 

we need to share the ocean - theres plenty room - i dont go run into them or get in there way or drop my lines around them - they just come from shore and want to get hooked on my lines
www.LONDON808.com
Photography for any occasion
priced for everyones wallet

Offline blood_line

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 02:18:06 AM »
True that, I think this thread can help us all gain a little bit of awareness and hopefully make us realize that we have to share the ocean.  Especially with it getting more and more crowded.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 07:35:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Ala'ihi mama (Saber squirrelfish)