Author Topic: THE NEW MENACE  (Read 6528 times)

Offline Mr. SNUFFALUPAGUS

• Sailing off to find humility. I can't find any :)
Re: THE NEW MENACE
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 08:31:48 AM »
I wish it was a chick stand up paddle boarder that got caught in my line,  I would have swam out there and played David Hasselhoff  8) and drag her back into shore and gave her CPR, necessary or not.  :o  ;D

LOL...
I get when guys don't pay attention to a solitary whipper like me,( I don'tike it of course but I can see why it happens) but for a weiner standupper to go and run into a bunch of ulua poles set up (probably for hours already)  is just plain dumb.

I have a perfect solution to that...
PAINTBALL GUNS!!!    yep - set em' up your poles, start the haibatchi, crack a beer, and lock and load.  first thing the standup boy gets is a 3 shot warning burst. if he keeps comming... Full auto baby!! turn him rainbow colors! WOOT! WOOT!

Offline blood_line

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 10:33:58 AM »
  That's so funny, picturing a paddle boarder trying to paddle away from some maniac on the beach raining paintballs down on him (because he interfered with fishing  >:( ).  But yeah its a buzzkill when something like that happens especially since I can't cast a conventional for SNUFFLEUPAGUS.  It's alright though, we all do stupid things just for some it's a habit.   :-\

Offline fishamon

• myspace
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 02:22:12 PM »
I feel ya JesseJ,  Lahaina side is loaded with them and its ridiculous how they think they can just hug the shore when people are fishing.  The last time we went dunking some tourist/novice paddle boarder figures he can just run the whole stretch of beach without bothering anyone.  Wrong. 

There were groups of guys all with bait in the water which he was passing right over.  I saw that and I was thinking to myself " Oh man this guy is gonna closeline himself on my line".  He reaches my line and low and behold he hits it and falls off his board. Hahaha  :D He gets back on his board and gives me dirty looks like it's my fault.  :o I brush it off figuring ahh tourist it's alright.  He goes on his way down the rest of the empty beach. 

Not long later here he is again and guess what, he's running on the inside.  I was thinking about shouting a "warning" but no one is that dumb right?  But despite prior encounter with my line he fricken hits it again  >:(  This time breaking my lead and dragging my line.  This time he didn't fall but was on all fours on his board and I'm pretty sure he was tangled.  So I turn my drag off before he hurt himself and again I get those fricken dirty looks.  He untangles and goes on his way with not one word so I give shout my mind at him and like that he was gone.   >:(  The rest of the guys got a kick out of it but I was a little pissed and a little amused at how stupid some people can be.  It was his fault we didn't catch anything that day!  :P

Yes I agree we can all sometimes be the idiots too but if your aware of what your doing it's not to hard to avoid situations like this.  Kayaking or SUPing we just gotta remember we aren't the only people out there doing our thing.  Lesson learned for both of us that day.

F DAT MAN! that guy sounds like a real dumb SNUFFLEUPAGUS to me, some swimmers are the ones that piss me off from time to time kuz whenever im fishing and they see my line in the water they still swim close to where it is like they dont care and probly scare fish away that could potentially end up on my hook, people wonder why there is hostility in the water and its because of idiots like these, these clowns force us guys to get all nutz in the water then people look at us like were the ones that have the problem

that guy should have gave u $ for your lead, might sound dumb but lead is ridiculously expensive these days
"PAPIO SLAYER"

Offline XQ

• photography at a fair price
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 12:45:30 AM »
who buys lead - i dive for mine - and i also melt scrap lead - $1.00 a lb scrap - and cast them
www.LONDON808.com
Photography for any occasion
priced for everyones wallet

Offline Screaminreel

• Heading out!
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 07:23:29 AM »
Wow Ex! Now that is a surprise, :o Hey guy's: Q cast's his own lead for fishing! :o
Hey Q you should invent a fishing lead that releases shark repellent in a timed release sequence.  ::)
Or can you make lead that (when activated by tying it to the line) it'll shoot 500' in the air and land in the water using GPS guidance that can be set at each use?  :o
I love it! 
Ex "AKA Q" you DA Bess!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:28:08 AM by Screaminreel »

Ahnkochee

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 08:15:52 AM »
Code Name: XQ  ;D

Offline saltcreekcalico

• Ultra Member
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 04:46:56 AM »
its just like kite surfers at kahala - if they want to run over my lines fine but when they catch there legs and get all cut up on it - not my fault- 

we need to share the ocean - theres plenty room - i dont go run into them or get in there way or drop my lines around them - they just come from shore and want to get hooked on my lines

I have fished and surfed my entire life.  Surfers have the right of way over fishermen.  The surf only breaks in a few spots.  Fishermen can move to a spot where the surfers aren't, The surfers have to stay where the waves break.  Anytime a fishermen puts a sharp hook in the water they are responsible for what gets caught on that hook no matter what.  If some idiot was fishing where i was surfing and hooked me up he definitely wouldn't get his lure back, he'd be lucky to get his life back!

p.s. 2 years in Hawaii doesn't make you local, still got lots to learn, especially about ocean courtesy
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:55:32 AM by Stevo »

Offline XQ

• photography at a fair price
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 12:04:18 PM »
im far from saying im local, and i know people have to surf where theres surf and i have  not got a problem with them - its people who arent in surf spots - like paddle boarders and kite surfers who just appear out of no where and run into your lines , have you seen how far out some of those guys go ? i can be a mile from shore and they still pass by me
www.LONDON808.com
Photography for any occasion
priced for everyones wallet

Offline alojas

• Jus another day of aku bustin surface....
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 06:50:59 AM »
I went fishing with my bro- in-law the other day from shore in maunalua bay side..we went at dark-thirty and fished through sun-up.  It was a beautiful morning, no winds, water was lake flat, and good oio action.  We had 4 lines out between the 2 of us...from shore mind u.  We see a few paddle boarders come into the picture during the next 30 min after sunrise...no big deal we think.  Slowly, for the next hour or so, we start seeing many many more paddleboarders....went from like 5 in the area to now 30+.....unreal.  We now have them paddling over our lines...all around where we are fishing...UNREAL.  No more oio bites...did manage to catch 4 of them who blindly paddled into the main line ABOVE the water....i can't believe the indifference of these people.  Got so tired of yellin at the knuckleheads that we jus packed it in..what a way to ruin a beautiful morning.  The most aggrivating thing is that get choke room around us and outside of where we are fishing to paddleboard...had no one there...why gotta do it in the lines of the fishermen?!  Talk about no respect...hehe
It is what it is...or so i'm told!

Offline saltcreekcalico

• Ultra Member
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 07:00:43 AM »
thats crazy Alojas, but i guess thats the area of Oahu where people could afford SUP's, those things are more expensive than my yak!  Next time u gotta take cones and cone off one small area for u guys either that or take the yak so you can reach the untouched flats, go get em bro, no let em keep u from ur fishcake!

Offline evan b

• Ultra Member
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 07:04:24 AM »
The problem isn't the sup that surf...its the people that hardly if ever have surfed and picked up sup as an exercise form. They get sick of paddling up rivers and calm areas so the next logical choice is to clog the lineups. Unfortunately they can sit 100 yards out from the peak and catch every set that comes in. If you have 4-5 of them it is an endless cycle with every set being taken from the normal surfers. Hanalei point has gotten so bad with the sup and crowds that I have quit surfing it all together. There are some people who have earned the right to surf hanalei (or any spot) on a sup...people who surf it well on a normal board big to small.

Something about sup REALLY bugs me...

Offline sparky13

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »
I went fishing with my bro- in-law the other day from shore in maunalua bay side..we went at dark-thirty and fished through sun-up.  It was a beautiful morning, no winds, water was lake flat, and good oio action.  We had 4 lines out between the 2 of us...from shore mind u.  We see a few paddle boarders come into the picture during the next 30 min after sunrise...no big deal we think.  Slowly, for the next hour or so, we start seeing many many more paddleboarders....went from like 5 in the area to now 30+.....unreal.  We now have them paddling over our lines...all around where we are fishing...UNREAL.  No more oio bites...did manage to catch 4 of them who blindly paddled into the main line ABOVE the water....i can't believe the indifference of these people.  Got so tired of yellin at the knuckleheads that we jus packed it in..what a way to ruin a beautiful morning.  The most aggrivating thing is that get choke room around us and outside of where we are fishing to paddleboard...had no one there...why gotta do it in the lines of the fishermen?!  Talk about no respect...hehe
I can definitely relate to this. Where I dunk from shore there are a lot of one man canoes, surfers, and SUP'ers that paddle right over the lines without even noticing. It is amazing how oblivious some people can be. As for the SUPs hogging all the waves, that's when you gotta take out an old beater board and take whatever waves you want from em.

Offline mini bus-driver

• "root from a bottomless sea"
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 11:09:31 PM »
the plague :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline mini bus-driver

• "root from a bottomless sea"
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2009, 12:44:26 PM »
they do it all the time in waikiki - being from england - i look and sound like a tourist - haveing lived here for 2 years and being married to a local girl - i know what goes and what dont - this guy had been cutting people of all day - (i take my yak out behind the aquarium and catch waves - good fun )- lucky he dident catch a paddle on the way under or evn worse caych me on his leash

its just like kite surfers at kahala - if they want to run over my lines fine but when they catch there legs and get all cut up on it - not my fault-  

we need to share the ocean - theres plenty room - i dont go run into them or get in there way or drop my lines around them - they just come from shore and want to get hooked on my lines
say goodbye 2 your coconut girl "DA LOCAL BOYS SAY GOODBYE"   :D :D ::) ::) :'( :'( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:47:14 PM by mini bus-driver »

Offline hugh janus

• Rock!!!
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2009, 12:10:15 PM »
Man, the other day I was paddling around on my board and this crazy guy starts whippin ghis lures at me.  What's the guys deal?   ;D
party like a ROCK star!!!!

Offline takoman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2009, 01:00:42 PM »
Stop wearing yellow. you look like a FAD ;D

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 05:27:30 PM »
one day this summer i counted 38 SUPers at haleiwa :o ??? :o ???... talk about a clean ocean that day.. dam ocean sweepers..

watch for the new wave... SUP skate boarders.. ooh yeah there real cool :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

comming soon.. SUP snow boarders.. just watch... wow :o :o talk about blowing up

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Offline Ken

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 05:32:04 PM »
People plainly have no respect anymore. It is all ME, ME, ME.

When I was on my last trip to Oahu, I rented a kayak for 4 hours to do a little fishing. I know I'm not comfortable going out too far, but I also know Kailua Beach is a busy place. There were swimmers, SUPs, newbie surfers and kaykers and kayak tours.

What to do? Take 2 mins and have look around to see where everyone use the beach/water. Swimmers, SUPs and newbie surfers use the water inside the first two breaks. Kayakers all come out from the beach and make a right to head toward the islands.

I'm going to be drifting and fishing...and be a real pain in the a$$ to all the users of the beach because I'm drifting with fishing lines. What to do? Get AWAY from everyone else. I paddled out beyond the second break about 100-150 yards away, make a left and found myself a nice little area of sand/coral in 12 feet of water.

I had all the areas I can fish...and everyone can enjoy the water their own way. I had solitude the entire 3.5 hours I was out there.

If someone was there first and using the space already, the new person that enters the space needs to give the existing user room and respect privacy!

Problems today...

1) People are disrespectful

2) People are oblivious

3) People are self-centered

Sad to imagine what the world is like in another 50 years.  :-\
aka Muskie-Bait

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 301 species

Offline Westsidesurfer

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2009, 05:53:16 PM »
I had a run in with one of them this morning at Makaha! I took his paddle and made him meet me on the beach! He won't be dropping in on me anymore! Fricken A-HOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:( They better pass a law to regulate these greedy bastards before they get regulated the old fashion way. I know a lot of them are cool, but the ones with no class are going to ruin it for all of them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:06:00 AM by Westsidesurfer »

Offline takoman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2009, 06:17:46 PM »
Dont know if passing a law will do anything cuz get no one to enforce it. Maybe if things get out of hand we should teach these A holes the Law of the splintered paddle.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2017, 05:32:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

17# lehi