Author Topic: Adding flotation: beyond pool noodles  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Living The Dream

Adding flotation: beyond pool noodles
« on: May 13, 2011, 06:00:17 AM »
I've been thinking about improving the flotation on my kayak in case I spring a leak. I found a web site, http://www.marinefoam.com, has quite a few products that are apparently specifically designed for applications like ours. While everyone knows that the joint-filler spray foam is a bad idea, there is a marine specific 2-part pour-in foam that floats ~60 pounds per cubic foot. If this stuff is for real, imagine how easy it would be to stand your boat on end, pour a couple cubic feet in either end, and call it a day. The 240 pounds buoyancy would be equivalent to 12 pool noodles, with minimal loss of under-deck storage and no clutter.

Anyone ever use it?
Studies say 60% of the time it works every time.

Offline Living The Dream

Re: Adding flotation: beyond pool noodles
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 06:12:33 AM »
BTW, if you're wondering about the issue of the foam expanding and blowing apart your boat, here is F A Q #17 from http://www.uscomposites.com/faq_foam.html#17.

17. Will the foam blow out the walls of my mold or cavity when it is expanding?

The foam does exert pressure while it is expanding, however it flows to the path of least resistance. So long as your cavity/mold has one side unrestrained for the foam to expand to then you will not see any distortion of your cavity walls.
If your cavity/mold is completely closed with only a small vent or pour hole to access we recommend pouring the foam in small batches so that you do not overfill your cavity and risk putting pressure on the walls. Wait approximately 20 minutes before pouring in the next batch of foam.
There are instances where multiple pours are not possible, in these cases you must do as much calculating as possible beforehard to determine the volume of your cavity and mix up no more than 10% extra foam than what your cavity will hold.

Offline Five_Oh

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 01:18:07 AM »
Has anyone been brave enough to try this? Seems like a good idea if you can spare the space.
Hobie Tandem Island - Mango

Offline Living The Dream

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 06:24:39 PM »
I emailed my kayak manufacture, hurricane, and they gave me the thumbs up for their trylon material. I'll probably still do a test batch to see how hot the foam gets. I haven't gotten around to it yet. But at 60 lbs of float per cubic foot of foam, stuck to the bottom of the hull instead of loose inside the hull, this has promise.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2017, 07:26:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

MAHI