Author Topic: What to do when current is ripping?  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Honza

• ;)
What to do when current is ripping?
« on: June 06, 2011, 08:21:13 AM »
Hi All!

As a big nOOb, I have never adventure to an area outside Kailua Bay and was wondering how do you find out that the current is ripping out there?
Can you help me answer these questions?

Is the current ripping when you stop paddling and you drift super fast or how do you find out?

When you get in to the strong current which direction should I go to get a safer location?

Is there any www page which shows you where the currents strong are on oahu or there is not such as standard location of strong currents?

Thank you for the safety tip ;)

Thanks
Exercise and Fishing that is Kayak fishing

Offline Kayaking Bob

• Fishing, Trolling, Sailing
    • KayakingBob
Re: What to do when current is ripping?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:44:47 AM »
Best advise for fishing/kayaking/sailing in a new area is to go out with someone that already knows the area well.  So many possible problems to wonder about and prepare for that someone who has regularly experienced them in that new area (to you) should know and prepare you for, or at least help you through the unknown.  Plus more fun.

Offline saltcreekcalico

• Ultra Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 10:56:37 AM »
usually the days with the most extreme tidal swings have the strongest currents.  This occurs on and around the new and full moons.  For those of us who paddle, striking the balance between having enough current to encourage the fish to feed while still being able to make headway, maintain position, and comfortably fish for a prolonged time is crucial.  Places with small channels that drain large areas or points where opposing currents converge are often notorious for extreme currents even without large tide swings.  The atolls in the south pacific that have huge lagoons and only a single channel to drain it can have currents that no kayaker could make headway against even though the difference between high and low is less than the small swings u get in Hawaii.  It all has to do with the volume of water that needs to drain and the size of the opening draining it.  You can see this effect in rivers.  In places where the river is wide and deep the flow is slower.  But squeeze that same river down narrower and u get white water rapids.  As all surfers know large surf will increase nearshore currents as well.  Prolonged strong winds will do the same.  I've seen sites that show ocean currents but have found that they are not super accurate for the nearshore areas most of us fish.  Lots of on the water experience is the only sure fire way to get a handle on what the current is like in ur location and how the fish will react to it.  Some spots will work well with a lighter current but turn off when it speeds up.  In others, as the current gets stronger the fishing gets better.  Get a tide chart and keep a log and u will be well on ur way to figuring out the currents

Offline JollyGreen

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 01:46:16 PM »
I don't have much experience on the water but I have noticed a couple things to watch for.

To go upwind in the AI we typically have to tack usually around 50 to 55 degrees off the wind, peddling straight into the wind in 15 mph might be unproductive because of the added rigging.

Tacking upwind is the best option, the speed on the tack is probably 5to6 mph, but the actual speed made toward a point directly up wind will be more like 2 to 3 mph, even though you are moving at 5+mph.

The point is that I have definitely seen currents of 2+ mph.  This would be enough to keep an AI from sailing upwind and making any ground if it's from the same direction as the wind and you need to go directly upwind.  I always use my gps to get an idea of the current during the day.

I have heard you can move closer or further from shore to avoid the current, but I don't know the details.  Hopefully someone can fill in those details.  :)

Offline Hootah

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »
I am noob to kayaking, but from my surfing days, I know that if you get caught in rip current you gotta paddle perpendicular to the current to get out of it.  Sometimes going in, due to reef/surf conditions, may not be a good option.  So sometimes you may have to paddle away from shore to break out of the current.  Local knowledge is always a good thing to have.
The Ocean is Good for the Soul.

Offline Honza

• ;)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 10:12:32 PM »
Thank you to all for the input. That is very helpful!
Exercise and Fishing that is Kayak fishing

Offline HIyakker

• Fish, it's what's for dinner
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 09:04:05 AM »

Can you help me answer these questions?
sure, to the best of my knowledge
Is the current ripping when you stop paddling and you drift super fast or how do you find out?
yes, you'll also notice if you're paddling for a long time and haven't moved and inch, how do you find out? it's pretty obvious  ;)
When you get in to the strong current which direction should I go to get a safer location?
towards shore works best even if the current carries you down and have to walk to your vehicle
Is there any www page which shows you where the currents strong are on oahu or there is not such as standard location of strong currents?
Not that I know of, best thing to do is go with someone familiar with the area and even then it will be unpredictable

Prowler Trident 13 --- <*)))))><

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2017, 03:21:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

got to hold one fish each! :)