Author Topic: INTRODUCTIONS  (Read 26295 times)

Offline AH_Moderator

INTRODUCTIONS
« on: June 21, 2011, 04:29:40 PM »
Please take a few minutes to post an introduction here so other members will know who they're "talking" to before blasting away and posting questions on the forum.
*Please refrain from posting replies to the introductions so we can keep this topic a pure introduction section.

Some suggestions of things to write about...
Explanation of screen name
Where you're from
What kind of kayak you have or are interested in
Kayak fishing experience
Any other information you'd like to share

Looking forward to reading your introductions!
Aloha!

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
Kevin & Gareth AKA The Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 04:46:44 PM »
Aloha! We're Kevin & Gareth Uyeda, better known in the kayak fishing world as the Uyeda Brothers. We're from the island of Oahu. 

We can't really remember when we started kayak fishing, but we've been fishing in one form or another as long as we can remember. Our parents taught us from an early age to take care of the land and our ocean resources, so we always try to leave the beach and ocean cleaner than when we came. After shore fishing with our family we started wading/swimming out to small offshore reefs, then we fished off of our surfboards, which was followed by fishing off an inflatable raft, then borrowed kayaks before we finally got our own kayak. We LOVE kayak fishing because it's all human powered, there's no engine exhaust, we can launch from almost any beach, it's great exercise, and sometimes we come home with something good to eat too! We started kayak fishing very simply with a stock Cobra Tandem kayak, seats, paddles, pfds, and one whipping rod each. We upgraded to an Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP and were told by many that the Zest isn't a fishing kayak. We modified our rod holders and other things and made it into a fishing kayak that suited our needs. We wanted a kayak that was faster, so we got an Ocean Kayak Cabo, The Green Lady III, and loaded her to the gills with gear. We still wanted more, so we tried out...and LOVED the Hobie Mirage Tandem Island kayak/trimaran/sailboat. She is like our very own Transformer which we can use as a kayak, a kayak with an ama, a kayak with 2 amas, and a full blown trimaran w/2 amas and an 18 foot sail. She is quite a sight to be seen.

We're fortunate to have met many great people and made good friends through this forum and because of kayak fishing. AQUAHUNTERS No Ka 'Oi!

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline HIyakker

• Fish, it's what's for dinner
Re: INTRODUCTIONS
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:28:31 AM »
Hi all, I posted a similar thread a couple of months ago but didn't take off so copy and paste  :)

I was born near the ocean but was raised in the middle of the desert so fishing was not really a part of my upbringing, moved to HI in 93 and ever since I've shore fished and skin dived off and on.
I got into kayak fishing after getting a kayak and thinking to myself that there must be other people that combine paddling a kayak and fishing, did a google search and came up with a few sites, one of them being AquaHunters, registered and been lurking and absorbing all the info possible for less than a year now.

Now my biggest catch to date is a 3# Papio, but have caught Toau, and a variety of goats that sometimes were too small for eating so CNR'd those suckers and let them grow a little more.
My current setup is a OK Trident 13 that was converted to "angler" by the original owner,
TLD20 spooled with 80# test Power pro backed with 30# mono on a 6' Sturdy Stick for my heavy rig, Socorro 10000 spooled with 40#power pro backed with 14# mono on a 6'6" Ugly Stick for a lighter spinner setup.
Also mandatory sabiki/ultra-light rig cheap daiwa combo from Wallyworld.
Kage by MetalMan
Homemade Rod leashes
Hummingbird PiranhaMax 160
Navionics USWest on an Android Tablet PC

Well that's me in a nutshell, and I hope that this topic really picks up and we get to know more of our members
Thank you for reading!!
Prowler Trident 13 --- <*)))))><

Offline *Denzell808*

• Are we fishing or catching?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 01:33:36 PM »
Here my introduction..
     My name is Denzell, I live on the beautiful island of Maui. We use a red Hobie oasis with mounted fish-finder, sail and pole holders. I'm still a beginner to kayak fishing.  I like to use shimano poles with conventional Penn reels and a ugly stick with spinner reels for bottom fishing. My Favorite spots on Maui is Makena landing & Mala wharf.

My Favorite bait is opelu & we also palu with opelu.I love to go with friends because they bring safety & fun. I'm still waiting for my first pelagic.My very first fish on a kayak was a uku, when we stopped to bottom fish then is to the opelu. Then the other fishes we caught was an omilu, awa, trumpet-fish,and more.. Hopefully i get to go out.
                                                  Mahalo & Jah Bless
                                                            Denzell808
Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 07:35:45 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm Reed, i've been kayak fishing for over 2 years now in Hawaii.  I rock the Ocean Kayak Trident 15, with rudder, live baitwell, and paddle power.  My Reels are Avet LX's, little beasts they are.  I've hooked up to a few decent fish over the years and i'm just having a blast catching what i do catch. 
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline Rob

• Ultra Member
  • AH European Correspondent
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:56:25 AM »
Okay, here's my story.

Grew up near London, England and have been fishing since before I can even remember. With used to fish rivers and canals near my home for gudgeon, roach, perch, bream, and chub. Started fly fishing with my father when I was 8 or 9, mostly for trout in lakes and reservoirs. Got addicted to carp fishing when I was 15. Went through a lean period in my early 20s (college years), then started carp fishing regularly again. Also took up lure fishing for pike in the winters.

Moved to Hawaii two years ago for work. I knew the fishing would be very different to what I was used to, I'd dabbled in sea fishing before but never tried it seriously. Went on charter boats a few times and caught a couple of fish, it was fun but didn't feel like they were 'my' fish. Then I saw some photos of kayakers with mahimahi and ono. It had never even occurred to that you could fish from a kayak before, let alone that it was possible to catch such large fish from one. I decided there and then that I had to give it a go, figured it was a way to get on the water each weekend and have at least a small chance of hooking something big.

Was pointed in the direction of Aquahunters when I bought my kayak and found it to be mine of useful information. During the first summer I fished the Yak Off and PPO, I still had no idea what I was doing but got to see guys bringing in pelagics. Seemed more possible after seeing it first hand.

My first two years of Hawaiian yak fishing have been a steep learning curve but a lot of fun. Quickly realized conditions can change in seconds and that the weatherman isn't always even in the right ballpark. Discovered that papio and ulua fight like fish twice there size and that oio go like $hit off a shovel when hooked on light tackle. Found out that some fish have an amazing ability to cut baits in half but miss the stinger hook and that opelu can be throwing themselves into the boat one day but nowhere to be found the next. Been lucky enough to catch a handful if decent fish along the way but goats still make up the majority of my Makahiki points. There is still a lot to learn...

Sorry, I appear to be rambling...

For my first two years I paddled a green/blue scupper pro, but recently I'm more likely to be found in a yellow AI (OC-1 style!).
If it was easy it wouldn't be this much fun...

Offline BET9100

• Fishing keeps me sane !!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 12:26:49 PM »
Hello I am Brad I grew up in Lockport New York and fished for Large and Small mouth Bass in ponds, lakes and creeks as long as I can remember.   I have been station at Schofield Barracks since April 2008 and just picked up kayak fishing February 2011.  First time trying out my setup and getting out through the shore break was challenging.  When I came back in from fishing I met a person that asked me how long have I been Kayak fishing yes I looked very newbie.  His name was Rocket and he was the one that told me about Aqua hunters and I should check the web site out.   So went home and did.  From that point every weekend you can find me out on the water trying to find where the bait hang out.  Every now and then I get that chance to hear my reel go ZZZZZZZ and fish is on.  My first AH event was the 4th Annual Yak Off and that was a great time to meet the other AH Family.  I am looking forward to the upcoming events threw out the year and catching more and more fish on my Kayak.  Next Year I will be in the Makahiki cannot wait.

My Rig:  Orange and Yellow Supper Pro, Hummingbird 385ic, Reels and Rods are a mix 30 Ė 50lb mono/braid

Offline Shark bait

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 08:14:44 PM »
Aloha AH'ers,

My name is Oliver.  I grew up in Washington state in a little town in the middle of nowhere.  I won't bother telling you the name of it because even people who have lived in washington their whole lives haven't heard of it.  Just imagine a place where the cows outnumber the people and rednecks have gun racks and confederate flags on their ford pickups.  Everyone knows everyone and people wave to each other when they pass on the highway as long as they can do it without spilling their coors light.

My Dad is the most hardcore unsuccessful fisherman I know.  He's been stubbornly fishing the same stretch of the same river longer than I've been alive.  If he catches 3 or 4 fish, that's a good year!  He took me with him almost every weekend when I was a kid and from him I learned to equate fishing with boredom.  It wasn't until last year that the fishing bug finally got me.  Must be hereditary i think...  Oh well its too late.  I'm hopelessly afflicted now that I found this website.  :D

I fish a dark green Hobie Mirage Revolution.  My fishfinder is a humminbird 385ci (which i don't recommend but I paid $500 for it so I'm gonna use it whether it works half-@ss or not!).  On one of my poles I use a penn GL 320 levelwind (lever drag) with a shimano saguaro 7' rod.  My other pole is a penn mariner boat rod with a GT 320 levelwind (star drag).  I also have one small pole with cheap reel for sabiki action.  I usually use 40# powerpro on the reels with a 40# flouro topshot but a while ago I upped to 65lb pp on both reels and I've been in a big time slump ever since.

I got lucky on the first fish I caught was actually a nice moana kali probably in the 1-2lb size.

My favorite spot is makena.

Here's some of the highlights from the last 9 months.

Offline Hootah

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 08:31:34 PM »
Aloha. First of all I have to admit that I once knew the WORLD FAMOUS UYEDA BROTHERS, before they was so famous.  Now that they so famous I don't know that they would remember me.  Before they were famous Kevin was kind of quiet, and shy, now look at him!  lol!  Nah, he was always like that.  Especially after he has a few, but those of you that know him have figured that out.

Aloha no, my name is Mike Honda and I am an addict.  lol I always wanted to say that.  I was born in Lanai City and grew up in the beautiful town of Wahiawa.  Graduated from LHS and now live in Mil Town.  Like anyone growing up in Hawaii, ocean activities was a big part of life.  Picnics at the beach, swimming, fishing, picking ogo and kohu was part of life.  Learned how to tie-knots at outings with my dad's fishing club.  they used to make us kids tie their leaders.  

As I got to high school I used to surf every day, even hiding my board in the cane fields so I could surf before school.  I remember sitting on the beach at Rocky Point, by myself, in the dark waiting for the sun to come up.  Then stay all day in the water, come in only to eat lunch from the burrito wagon.  Then go home to eat and load up my night diving and fishing gear.

After I had kids, I took a sabatica,l for around 15 years, away from fishing and surfing.  My life revolved around youth sports.  Now that the kids don't need me to coach them anymore, I 've started fishing again.  Started back into whipping and then dunking.  Then a friend bought a OK Zest II and needed someone to go with him.  The idea was to get to the outside reef and whip.  Gotta have bettah chance out there than from shore. Right?  We started off at Keehi, fishing the flats.  Caught papio, and some good size o'io.  As we got in shape, we started venturing out a little bit.  But, we hit a stretch when we could not synch up our schedules.  So, in April I bought a Revo, so I could go out when I wanted to.

So,here I am.  Just getting started, hoping to get lucky.  I've been going out solo, but after reading Metalman's story, I think I should make some friends.  Besides, when I catch something and start high 5ing, I must look like one seal!  Mahalo to all of you that share your knowledge and mana'o.   HOOOOtah!
The Ocean is Good for the Soul.

Offline ryan

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 07:50:41 AM »
What's up everybody,

my name's ryan.  i've been fishing ever since i could walk, grew up on kauai and started off fishing with my grandpa for whatever was willing to bite.  oama, oopu in the rivers, bass, throwing pole at the beach, torching, diving, hunting, been doing it all.  since moving to oahu, my fire for getting out and fishing sadly was dwindling.  just trips back home to fish with my bro and the boys.  fishing for just enough to eat, enough to mahele whatever we caught and give back to the aunties and uncles that can't be out on/in the water anymore.  then i saw an episode of hawaii goes fishing, everybody knows which i'm talking about, and thought to myself, 'holy crap! that's something i need to get in to.'  started talking with other fishermen about it and i couldn't believe how many yak fishers were all around me and i didn't even know it.  picked up a malibu kayak and scupper from a friend of a friend for a great deal and a couple of cases for the middle man.  as i was getting geared up to go out, found out my wife was pregnant and we were going to have our first child.  never have i been even close to as stoked as i was.  my son came and now that's he's crawling around on his own, had some time to dust off the kayak and get out on the water.  went out just twice with my boy from nanakuli.  being on the east side it's hard for us to meet up and get out there but whenever the idea comes up, we're both willing to drive anywhere just to get out.  didn't catch anything special when we were out there, just some bottom fishing and got a few moana kali for lunch.  probably won't have the time to get super serious about kayak fishing but definitely going to make the time to get out on the water, just enjoy the lifestyle and if i happen to catch something, bonus!  have always loved trying new things, discovering what works and doesn't, where to go. 

that'll be it from now.  look forward to reading the stories, trials and tribulations of others.  aloha, be safe to everyone, and look forwarding to posting my next holoholo outing.

-ryan

Offline ssuehiro

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 08:13:22 PM »
Wassup AHers,

This is Shane.  A little about myself: I done lots of shoreline fishing (just the fishing part not the catching), Married+1, live in Kaneohe, Kahuku grad, and fish almost every weekend.

The Kayak: Trident 13 (sand color)
Pole: (2) 6'6" charter boat Ugly Stiks, (2) 7' ugly stiks
Reels: (2) Penn Senator 4/0 w/100lb power pro. (2) Jigmaster w/40lb power pro
Fish Finder: Humminbird 265i

Started Kayak fishing in December 2010.
Fish Caught thus far: Ulua, Uku, Aha, papio, Kawakawa, Opakapaka, and choke bait

Offline Pottymouth

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 11:53:54 AM »
Whats up everyone my name is Robinson Rodriguez aka pottymouth... I have been fishing since i was a kid, been kayak fishing for 4 yrs.... I manily fish offshore South FL, that one of the reasons i joined this site, not to many offshore kayak forums.. also learn a few things, swap some stories and experences. I paddle a Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Ultra for offshore and a Hobie Quest I use for those windy days that i cant get deep so I got to settle for inshore. I troll plugs fresh dead or live baits.. free line live baits and lots of vertical "speed" jigging.... here are some of my catches (not as big as what u guys got but not to shabby)...[imghttp://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/deez2glocks/102_0208.jpg]http://[/img]

[imghttp://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/deez2glocks/9a8f7447.jpg]http://[/img]

Offline HG

• Ultra Member
    • Pau Spam, LLC
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »
wassup Pottymouth!  Nice to see you here :)

Offline Pottymouth

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »
thanks man... looking forward posting up here, as well as to make some new friends... i'm hoping to learn some new technic's and see what's working in other locations... as well as share what works for me here in south FL...

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
    • Writs of a Drifting Son
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »
Welcome, pottymouth-  those are fine catches by anyone's standards.  Nice work, and welcome to the forums.

Offline Lawai'a.com

• Ultra Member
  • gotta get lucky sometime!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 04:17:35 PM »
nice pottymouth those are great catches anywhere. Glad to see you here should be nice to swap stories with some east coast veterans 

Offline Dak446

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 11:07:59 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm new here, thought I'd post a little about myself first.  My name is Dakota, I live in Wyoming.  I've been fishing all of my life, since I could walk I think.  I usually fish for trout, salmon, walleye and bass.  Those, along with some various cat and panfish, are basically all of the sport fish that you can find in Wyoming.  We bait, spoon, and fly fish here, and we are getting geared up to start ice fishing soon!  However, I have never fished from a kayak, so I joined the forum to learn.

My dad moved to Maui about a year and a half ago.  He lives in Kihei, and I will soon (about a week and a half) be coming over to the island to hang out for a few weeks.  I visited last year, around this time, and did the touristy-things that most do (road to Hana, Molokini, etc.).  This time, I want to do some kayak fishing.  My dad has a 2-person kayak that I will be able to use while I'm there, and I'm really wanting to do some fishing from it.  My girlfriend of 4 years will also be coming, and she is as excited to fish as I am.

If I forgot something, feel free to ask.

Thanks for having me on your forum,

Dakota

Here are some trout (rainbows and a brown) I caught a couple of days ago at a lake that sits at roughtly 10,000 ft above sea level on a 6wt, 8' fly rod.  The ice was coming quickly, so this was my last chance at open-water fishing on this lake for the next ~6 months.

Some views of a lake that I fished earlier this year (in August!) for cutthroat and brook trout.  This lake sits slightly above 10,000 ft as well. 

Offline ceichhor

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 01:36:21 PM »
Aloha AH community.  Let me introduce myself- My name is Cameron and I live on Molokai.  My passion is diving but I occasionally do some light whipping/dunking.  I recently purchased a scupper pro for the intent of diving, but have been ADDICTED to watching videos of yak fishing and decided to try my hand and outfit my S.P. with some pole holders.  Iíve gathered a lot of knowledge about diving  from scouring the many, many pages on the Hawaiiskindiver forums and I figured I would take a look at AH to try and get a good base coat of information for this fast growing sport that Iím super excited to try!  Iíve already done a little checking around and see that there are at least 2 members from Molokai on AH forums which is awesome because Iím always looking for holo-holo partners!  Hopefully my future posts will be full of pictures of nice catches and stories of my progression as a yak fisherman!

Offline akfishergal

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 09:45:58 PM »
Aloha Everybody!
Where are the rest of the ladies on this site, I'm wondering? My username is "akfishergal" because that's what I am, an ol' Alaskan gal who lives to fish and makes that happen every chance she can.  I started fishing when I moved to Alaska nearly thirty years ago, and I've fished some amazing places in that time. Throughout that time I've primarily been flyfishing -- from north of the Arctic Circle to the Rio Malleo in Patagonia.  About ten years ago, I picked up an inflatable kayak and started floating and fishing from gravel bar to gravel bar while pursuing all five species of Pacific salmon, Arctic char and trophy rainbows throughout Alaskan waters.

I didn't spend too much time fishing in saltwater, though. I'd go out with friends on powerboats from time to time, fishing for halibut mostly, but I confess that it didn't seem quite as thrilling.  Then a couple years ago, I had my eyes opened when a friend took me halibut fishing in a dory he rowed -- no diesel fumes, no long ride out to the fishing grounds, no noisy motor.  Even better, it was from this simpler platform that I caught my first halibut that exceeded 100 lbs. That's what got me thinking: I knew I couldn't man-handle a dory by myself -- but I can handle a kayak. 

Last season was the first one I tried kayak fishing. I went out with a guide twice, eager to soak up some expertise. And then four more times I was able to safely fish for salmon and rockfish from my Aire Lynx -- though the high profile of my IK isn't suited to the windy conditions on big water up here. Ever since the first time out in my trusty Lynx, I've been shopping for just the right boat for next season, because I want to do a lot more of this in the years to come.

So when we started to think about our winter vacation this year, I started to lobby for Hawaii with the thought that I could do some kayak fishing in warmer waters. Looks like the trip will happen, and in the meantime I just plan to lurk around this forum and see what I can learn before I arrive. It's been more than 15 years since I've been to Hawaii, though when I first moved to Alaska I used to vacation there most winters. I was thinking this would help me to decide on an island destination, and to get a bead on where to rent a kayak and get outfitted.

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
    • http://www.hawaiianmetalworks.com
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 10:57:10 PM »
Welcome akfishergal,
when you decide which island to come to, then you can put a shoutout to whoever lives there so they can take you out.
Whoever is coming with you, will they be going kayak fishing also or just you?

and do you know what month you may be coming over?

Aloha and welcome to the forum :)

MM
Good to post some of your pics to show us what you catch :)
Check out my Facebook page: "Hawaiian Metal Art" for Custom Rudders, Gaffs, Kage's or anything that you want done with metal, aluminum or stainless steel,  pm me ;) !!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2017, 05:38:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

#76 Ulua

Posted by on 18 Jun 2013

in
Hawaiian Yak Fish

My first fish over #50. One hour fight using my Penn 8500SS, 8' Ugly Stik, and #40 leader. I was hoping to release him but he took a good sized bite in the tail by a shark and was pretty exhausted...as was I. He was given to ohana for a grad party so not too bad. Better them than the sharks.

0 comment(s)