Author Topic: INTRODUCTIONS  (Read 26280 times)

Offline gothooked

Re: INTRODUCTIONS
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2013, 07:36:47 PM »
Aloha AH Ohana
My name Is Sean.  Born and raised on Oahu.  Started kayak fishing a couple of years ago mainly to take my boy who loves to fish.   Aloha
Work Hard Play Harder

Offline uplandhawaii

• BentFrame4X4.com
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2013, 07:50:36 PM »
Aloha guys! Hope you all have a good time out there, be safe!
HOW much is that to ship to Hawaii!!!???

Offline HapaBen

« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »
Howzit everyone. My name is Ben, and I was born and raised on Maui (Kula), but live in San Francisco now. I come back about twice a year. I have plenty of experience fishing for trout and steelhead in CA, but for some reason only recently started getting into saltwater fishing in HI. So far, I've had terrible luck fishing from the shore. I've tried mostly just lures like Kastmasters, poppers, and those papio lures with the feathers. I'm interested in 'yaking as a way to catch more fish, and get some exercise.

I have yet to buy a yak, but I'm considering this cheapo Lifetime Tamarack Angler I saw at Sports Authority. http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12933432. I'm sure it's junk, but I'm on a budget.

I've been surfing for 25+ years, so I am pretty comfortable in the water. I've paddled kayaks for fun around the inshore a bunch of times and have no trouble with it. However, I am aware of the dangers of kayaking, and plan to start off small just fishing close to shore for smaller game like papio.

I have plenty of questions, but I'll post them in other threads. If anyone would be willing to take me out yaking, or just give me some advice, I'd be stoked.

UPDATE: A bunch of people have PM'ed me advising against the Tamarack, so I'm looking at craiglist for something used instead. There are a few promising options, so hopefully one of them will work out and even save me a little money vs a new one. Thanks for the advice guys!

Update 2: I bought this Peception Pescador off Craigslist. From what I've read, it's a Tarpon 120 that was rebranded and sold for less. Pretty happy with it so far.

K-den,
HapaBen
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:41:56 AM by HapaBen »

Offline SPONGEFTR

INTRODUCTIONS
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2014, 04:50:29 PM »
Aloha!

My name is Chad and I am **BRAND** new to the world of kayak fishing.  I have lived on Oahu for the past year and grew up in South Carolina.  I have a Hobie Pro Angler 14 and looking forward to getting in the water in the very near future.  (had to have knee surgery no less than one day after receiving kayak!!)

Safety and respect as a visitor to the islands drove me to this site.  Thanks again for having me and I look forward to reading and learning from the pros! 

Offline Cam

Intro
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2014, 09:32:27 PM »
Hey All,

Been poking around the forum for about six months now, trying to soak up everything I can.  Fished my whole life, from Midwest river/pond/lake fishing to inshore fishing on the east coast mainland.  Got to Oahu about 8 months ago, tried to picked up where I left off on the east coast focusing on getting back on the water.  Gotta say, after being successful everywhere else I've fished...this place is beyond humbling. 

Started out slow in Kailua, Kaneohe and Hickam, just getting the feel of the water and trying to figure out how best to fish without getting hurt.  Anyone ever wanting to fish windward (or anywhere else) send a PM, I generally have a lot of weekdays off.

I fish a hobie outback, with one 5'6'' jigging rod to troll and a little spinner for inshore fun.  Thanks to the AH vets on the forum for continuing to post good info for the guys trying to break in.  Good luck to all out there, and as always...tight lines.

Be safe and Aloha,

Cam

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
    • http://www.hawaiianmetalworks.com
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »
Welcome to the club Cam :) !! or, as Drifting Son says it: "WELCOME TO THE INSANITY"  ;) ;)
Fishing on Oahu can be a VERY humbling experience !! That's why guys who do so well here gets
SUPER high respect, because Oahu is harder to find fish.
Good Luck and see you on the water :)
Check out my Facebook page: "Hawaiian Metal Art" for Custom Rudders, Gaffs, Kage's or anything that you want done with metal, aluminum or stainless steel,  pm me ;) !!

Offline Ahnko Chee

• Ultra Member
  • Makule Akule
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2014, 11:21:39 AM »
Try the fuel pier on Marine Base.  Palu (chum) the water straight down and under the pier then drop a baited hook into the palu.   You should hook up palani with not papio.  Week days best to avoid the crowds.
I ike lakou, o oe, ka mea wale no nona ka inoa, o Iehova; O oe no ka Mea kiekie loa maluna o ka honua a pau. HALELU 83:18

Offline Cam

« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2014, 06:05:26 PM »
Thanks Ahnko, the couple of times I went up to Kaneohe I stayed up on the northeast side just trying to get used to the water with some poles in the kayak.  Haven't been out to Kaneohe for a few months but I'll check out the pier next time, thanks much for the heads up. 

Thanks mm, no blood on the kage yet but it's still the nicest looking thing in the kayak.

-Cam

Offline Bennicus

« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2014, 10:27:21 PM »
Aloha Aquahunters,

My name is Ben and I've lived on Lanai about a year and a half now and love it.  I brought a Hobie Outback and Malibu Mini-X over with me from Oregon and picked up a used AI last summer.  Having a blast cutting my teeth in these new to me waters without mixing in much fishing, focusing more on sailing skills. Lurked around here for some time now so much mahalos for all the good info on here and I look forward to contributing what I learn from experience.

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2014, 10:43:36 PM »
Welcome to the carnage Ben :) !!!!!!! Hope to see a pic in your Avatar soon ;) !!! Looks like you have some good kayaks! The AI is so easy to learn on, you'll be setting up your rod holders in no time :) !!!
MM
Check out my Facebook page: "Hawaiian Metal Art" for Custom Rudders, Gaffs, Kage's or anything that you want done with metal, aluminum or stainless steel,  pm me ;) !!

Offline gusto

« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2014, 06:26:20 AM »
Aloha. My first post. I've been lurking on the site for two weeks. It's about time I engage and participate.

Screenname: Gusto - either the gusto in my heart for being out on the water fishing or the gusty winds out there bullying me
Where from: Grew up in Laie
Kayak: FeelFree Corona
Experience: Brand new
Any other info: Feel like being out on a kayak (imaginary canoe) and fishing is part of who I am. Ancestor's on my Dad's side were fishermen in Tonga

I love the site, the knowledge share, the aloha and ohana feel to it all. At the same time, I respect the secrecy. Part of the fun is fishing for knowledge.

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2014, 07:03:43 AM »
Howzit Gusto :) !!! Since you're new at kayaking, most if not all of us hope that you build up your strength first before you go out too deep! I have fished off a Hobie Adventure Island the past 3 years, but now going to build up my paddling skills with a new (to me) Trident 15. Keep reading the forum, look up especially the safety stuff, and practice paddling hard! It's amazing how the wind and currents can push our little plastic toys around!!!
Welcome to the forum :) !
MM
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:45:37 AM by metalman »

Offline Ryōshi

« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2014, 10:27:51 AM »
X2 what MM said I have a revo but will paddle around almost as much as I peddle (mainly for medical reasons) but you never want to put yourself in a situation you can't get out of. Have fun and be safe.
A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

north shore shark adventures

Offline yakboardfish

« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2014, 05:24:26 PM »
Howzit Aquahunters,

My name is Scott and I've been lurking on the forum from 2007 when I returned home to Oahu after living in LA for 20 years.  I used to yak fish parts of Malibu and the Marina Del Rey Harbor (the bait receiver always had barracuda, halibut and sometimes legal white seabass) but haven't really yak fished on Oahu much.  Instead I've been fishing off my longboard (hence my name 'yakboardfish') since the water is nice and warm here and the fish are just out of casting range from the beach. An epoxy longboard is much easier to carry than a fully weighted yak, and I sometimes run a portable fish finder on it.

I used to board fish the south shore in the 80s so it's kind of nostalgic to go back to the same spots with a board (a much bigger one now that I'm much bigger) and see if the fish are still around.  I've never seen another board fisher out so I'm guessing the idea of dangling your feet as palu may not be the smartest thing to do with all the Tiger reports lately.

This forum has been very helpful in figuring out how to set up my rigs, how to target the fish etc.  The tip about using a ball bearing swivel helped me solve my line twist problems when I was dragging frozen oama around last summer.

Just wanted to do a late introduction and say thanks for all the info,
scott

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2014, 09:30:41 PM »
That's cool!
 I want to try it now, I like catch one Ono from a board.

Offline gusto

« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2014, 03:06:46 PM »
Howzit Gusto :) !!! Since you're new at kayaking, most if not all of us hope that you build up your strength first before you go out too deep! I have fished off a Hobie Adventure Island the past 3 years, but now going to build up my paddling skills with a new (to me) Trident 15. Keep reading the forum, look up especially the safety stuff, and practice paddling hard! It's amazing how the wind and currents can push our little plastic toys around!!!
Welcome to the forum :) !
MM

Thanks metalman! I've seen your name on a bunch of the posts. I'm building up my paddling endurance. Went 1.5 miles out to 150 ft deep (small kine) and came back in yesterday. I've got the safety gear thanks to the advice/guidance of the site. Thanks again for the welcome!

Offline gusto

« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2014, 03:09:44 PM »
X2 what MM said I have a revo but will paddle around almost as much as I peddle (mainly for medical reasons) but you never want to put yourself in a situation you can't get out of. Have fun and be safe.

Thanks! Will do!

Offline Ryōshi

« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2014, 03:16:14 PM »
Great example of why I paddle sometimes,  last Sunday I went out day sucked as it was pretty windy and all blowing out to  sea. Well as luck would have it my drive broke on me and I was stuck paddling a little over a mile back with 15+mph had winds.  >:( want happy about it but because I paddle every now and then I was confident on getting back to shore. So paddle and have fun.
A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

north shore shark adventures

Offline dsopac

« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »
  Hey guys name is Dave.  Born and raised on O'ahu, left in the 90's because it's not just a job it's an adventure, and finally made it back a few years ago.  Been shore fishing forever.  First experience kayak fishing was over 20 years ago messing around with a friends kayak.  Was barely past casting distance maybe 15ft deep and something took my tako leg.  It started dragging me and the kayak in circles so I thought something huge!  Pulled it up it was a 2lb Oio lol  Still remember that feeling after all these years. 
  Been looking for a kayak since we got back.  As luck would have it my supe at work bought a brand new scupper pro so I bought his used one.  I have not done anything to the kayak yet, prior owner used it for diving so i'm still debating whether to drill pole holders or flush mounts or whatnot.  Checking out everybody's setup here for future mods.
  Thanks to this forum I have found some of my safety equipment.  Found a couple new Osprey vests for cheap, vhf from West Marine, rescue streamer my wife bought from the fish expo, and a couple other basic items. 
  Weekends I will take my kids to Hickam to watch the planes and just to be safe.  Last thing missing is a partner so if anyone who is not going too extreme goes out maybe Mondays or Fridays let me know...

Offline bpdawgs13

« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2014, 08:44:44 PM »
Hey all,

Well, like most, I've been lurking around the site and reading/soaking in as much as possible about fishing here. I'm still a bit overwhelmed at the amount of knowledge that you guys have.  Also, the Hawaiian waters are so humbling. So far, it's been a lot of trail and error.....mostly error and the only thing I've caught so far is a small puffer fish (but was excited since it was the first one). Ok, a little about me, I grew up in small town Mississippi and fished mostly the lakes, ponds and rivers around my home.  I've caught a lot of largemouth bass, catfish and bluegill. Also caught a few gators. Fished the MS gulf coast as well and caught small sharks. After a stint in college, I decided to get outta MS.....joined the AF (and my first assignment was Hawaii). Well I didn't take advantage of the fishing here back then. Once I left here, I went to Cali and picked up on fishing again (mostly shore fishing.....wading out in the freezing surf to fish. Left Cali and went to South Carolina....it was here that I discovered kayak fishing. After owning a offshore boat for a few years, a friend invited me to go out kayak fishing with him. Like everyone else here, I was HOOKED! A few months later, I sold my boat and bought my first kayak ( Ascend FS12T ) I would troll, cast and bottom fish almost every weekend. Caught a lot of sea bass, Spanish, kings, sea trout and a few hammerheads from that yak. After leaving the military, I moved to Oregon. I continued to fish there, but was too far to do any ocean fishing, so once again was chasing bass. After being in Oregon for 8 months.....the rain and cold get to you.......and I missed Hawaii. I applied for school and was accepted, so the family and I made the move back.

Once back here, I found a Hobie Outfitter that I've been setting up over the last month for fishing. I also brought over with me a few of my boat rod/reels....but after reading a little on here, I may be looking to upgrade to lever drag reels before long. Since I've fished so many locations and different waters, I've got a wide array of artificial lures (nothing beats live bait though).

As for time spent on the water in a yak, I've got a combined 4 years fishing from them, but still feeling out the Hobie as its new, bigger and well a tandem. Plus, I don't know the waters, currents and bottoms of these waters, so I'm still feeling it all out.  I'm over in Ewa Beach and since I'm still setting the Hobie up, I've only been doing some shore fishing right now.

Once again, thanks for the wealth of information and tips.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2017, 03:50:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

uku 4-14