Author Topic: INTRODUCTIONS  (Read 27054 times)

Offline Ahnko Chee

• Ultra Member
  • Makule Akule
Re: INTRODUCTIONS
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2014, 10:05:36 PM »
E komo mai to AquaHunters all of you both locals and new arrivals.  Great to see the interest and further growth of this awesome sport.  Hey tc808 I used to live in Waikiki hanabata daze in the mid 60s on Pau street half a block from the Ala Wai.  Used to watch the mullet fishermen on their wood platforms,  Kaneohe Bay too had plenty of these platforms but they were built on the reefs and accessible only by boat.  You remember that?   Don't know if you old enough to remember the boat rentals right on the Diamondhead side of the McCully street bridge.  They had electric boats and row boats but me and siblings could only occasionally afford to the rent the cheap rowing dinghys.
Great to see all of you here.  Remember, safety first!   ;)
I ike lakou, o oe, ka mea wale no nona ka inoa, o Iehova; O oe no ka Mea kiekie loa maluna o ka honua a pau. HALELU 83:18

Offline tc808

« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2014, 10:45:49 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Ahnko Chee, yes I am old enough to remember the rentals from small kid time.  Raja on the safety first, don't want to be "that guy". 

Offline beerums

« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2014, 10:20:02 PM »
Aloha AH,

My name is Jeff and my family and I just moved to Oahu in April.  Unfortunately, that is also when I left for deployment and won't be back until the end of the year.  I have been kayak fishing for about 3 years, mostly in lakes, rivers and bays.  Haven't done a whole lot of open ocean fishing from the yak.  I currently have a Perception Sport Caster, however, it got damaged in our move from the mainland.  I put a down payment on a '15 Hobie Outback from Windward that I'll be picking up when I return.  I have been reading through the forum for quite a while now trying to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into and it sounds exciting and a little nerve wracking at the same time.  I'll be starting off inshore, probably launch from Hickam beach for the first couple of times before I venture anywhere else.  I would definitely enjoy meeting up w/ a few people in the process to learn the ropes of Oahu!  Mahalo!

Jeff
Jeff B.

'15 Hobie Outback

Offline Yakityyak

« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2014, 08:12:09 PM »
Aloha All,
    My name is Brian and I've lived and fished (whipping from shore) on Oahu for more than 40 years.  Have two great kids and just starting out kayak fishing.  Have made a few runs at Kaneohe Bay, Keehi Lagoon and most recently Haleiwa next to the harbor.  Caught our first Kagami and a nice Lai this past Sunday with my 10 yr old son as first mate.  He's really hooked and bravely facing the challenge of deeper waters on every trip.

We are running an old Spectrum tandem that has seen better days but still solid and the inside of the hull stays bone dry.  Haven't tested her in open ocean yet tho.  Still having a blast in the kiddie pool.  We always pay attention to safety and I involve my kids in weather and surf checks when we plan our trips.  Not planning any open ocean runs anytime soon but am very interested and am loving learning this art via the forum. 

Would love to hook up (pun intended) with anyone who would like to go on easy trips so I my son and I can learn more and enjoy our time together. One day I'll try for palgics but I'm stoked right now teaching my son to catch papio and the like. 

Anyways,  thanks for the knowledge already passed along and I hope to see you in the blue

Aloha

Offline BadKarma

« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2014, 11:53:50 PM »
Welcome Brian! love to see the kiddos getting to go. My girls still love some quality time with dad catching bait from the pier or throwing from the shore for whatever bites (they love seeing the reef and hammerheads) Sounds like you have a great approach to starting and already miles ahead of me in terms of fishing here. Now it's just tweaking the techniques a little to apply from the yak. Have fun, stay safe, and see you on the water!

Go easy!
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14
Malibu Kayaks Stealth 12

Offline ekvp

« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2014, 01:33:41 PM »
Aloha, my name's Enson. Born and raised in Hawaii, between Oahu and Big Island. I've been fishing and diving since I can remember. Been a lurker here for a little bit and recently acquired a Ocean Kayak Drifter. Taken her out a couple time caught some of the usual reef suspects but really wanna push for some pelagic action! Both fishing and diving. Pretty new to this kayak adventuring so I gotta take it a bit slow, for now.

I stay east side, Kaaawa area. Not always the perfect conditions here but I love it! Would love to fish the whole island though.

Super stoked to know there's a gathering place for all the knowledge and like minded individuals and to be a part of it!

Offline Endlessbarrels

« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »
Howzit my name is Peter and I am new to kayak fishing. I just bought a cobra navigator off craigslist last week for $150. It is a beater but it floats and my kids and I have had some good times on it already. Bill at ewa beach buy and sell set me up with some nice entry level gear.

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2014, 07:38:57 AM »
Hi guys my name is Tavis born and raised on Kauai. Left for many years and recently returned. Been kayak fishing for about 3-4 months seriously now with some friends. A teacher by profession I love the fact there is so much to learn and experiment in this sport. Currently I have a Hobie Revo 13(after much debate). No pelagics landed yet, 1 pound kawakawas dont count. Haha. Been getting uku and uluas and loving it. This sport is definitely changing my life. This website and community is cherreh.

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2014, 07:49:12 AM »
Hi guys my name is Tavis born and raised on Kauai. Left for many years and recently returned. Been kayak fishing for about 3-4 months seriously now with some friends. A teacher by profession I love the fact there is so much to learn and experiment in this sport. Currently I have a Hobie Revo 13(after much debate). No pelagics landed yet, 1 pound kawakawas dont count. Haha. Been getting uku and uluas and loving it. This sport is definitely changing my life. This website and community is cherreh.

Offline Fish_Dive

« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2014, 09:32:04 AM »
Hey guys.  I had someone post this link on one of my post so i guess i should introduce myself.  I am Chris,  I move to Oahu in Decemeber and just got started Kayak fishing and have to say i love it.   I grew up in South Alabama right on the Gulf so naturally ive been fishing my whole life.   We have to take our boat our 50+ miles just to get into clear and deep enough water to catch Palegic.    I was stoked to hear it only takes a couple miles here.  My first fish on Kayak was a Ulua (on profile picture)  outside Wainae Boat harbor.  I went with a guide few weeks ago and had a blast.  Did not land one but got a ono and mahi up to the side of the kayak but could not gafe the dang thing.   
I went out yesterday and caught my first uku off same lure i caught ulu on. ended up with 5.  Anyway..... I cant get enough of this kayak fishing and cant wait for more oppurtunities to go.   

If anyone would like to go I am able to take off work anytime and go fishing so I am open for a fishing Partner!!!!!! 

Offline Wildnis

« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2015, 10:47:14 AM »
Aloha folks,

I just moved to the Big Island to finish on my Ph.D thesis in fish sience (implying I am crazy about fish).
I am fishing since my childhood, and started kanu fishing last year in germany on the big lakes, rivers and even the baltik. Mostly I fish for northern pike ( the biggest predator we got arround) but also perch and for trout and cod in the baltik.
Anyhow beeing in this beautifull place, gives oppertunity for plenty of fishing.
I already cought a spotted eagle ray in the hilo bay from shoreline the very first week.

Now I got a used kayak for small money and hope to find some fishing advise and partners here on the Forum, cause fishing around here is very different than what I am used to.
As I am used to I will share any catch when going out together. I usaually catch just what I need for a nice dinner and no more. If I catch more I share or give it to friends and family. This is the way I fish. Catch and release is permitted by law in Germany so we fish for a nice time in nature and a good meal.

Offline Rookie

« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2015, 12:37:36 PM »
Hello All

Thanks for having me on this awesome website/forum. I gave myself the username ROOKIE because that's what I am to the world of Kayak fishing - a ROOKIE lol. My main drive behind this new hobby is to get experienced and safe enough on the water to take my 6 year old son out fishing very often.
Been following your sport now for a few months and I am hooked. Get this I haven't even been on a kayak yet. I am going to buy one this weekend from Windward Boats in Kailua. I am thinking the Hobie Island tandem. Seems cool to always have someone with you while out on the water. It might be too much kayak for someone with my experience but I will practice just kayaking a while before I even begin to think about adding another task (fishing) to the trip.
I am originally from California, been here 10 years now. I moved over here from California to coach football which i still do along with teaching PE at a local high school. I have a teachers schedule so there will be plenty of time for me to fish.
I'm hoping to make some new friends and get out on the water to participate in this great sport.
Best wishes to all and best of luck in the water.

Offline TightLines93

• Wilderness Systems Ride 115
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2015, 04:41:15 PM »
aloha, my name is Evan and I am an electrician in the US Coast Guard. I Moved to Oahu in July of 2014 and am grateful for the opportunity to catch some amazing fish from my kayak. I currently have a wilderness systems ride 115 fishing kayak with a pair of okuma solterra 2 speed reels matched with okaiya trolling rods. I grew up in Maryland fishing lakes and rivers for bass and trout ever since i can remember. I purchased my yak about 3 years ago and have had some amazing days on the water. From catching steelhead in California to trophy stripers in Maryland. I have offshore experience from boats, but have not had the chance to battle pelagics from my yak yet. I have been gathering the appropriate gear since I arrived on Island and getting great info from the forum. Cant wait to get out on the water and always looking for buddies to go with if anyone is interrested. Mahalo

Offline SleepingUnicorn

« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2015, 09:55:39 PM »
Hey all, My name is Shane,27 years old Born and raised on the windward side of Oahu, (Kaneohe and Hauula) moved the mainland for a little while, been back a few years now, family is construction, when i was a kid construction was down, so a few uncles who took care of me a lot, fished to pay the bills, spent a lot of time on the water and love it, most of them dont fish anymore or moved away, after getting on a few friends boats fell in love again and wanted to get back out, and kayak fishing seemed awesome, so... here i am, new to the sport and getting used to it. tight spaces and not having a huge boat to walk around on in interesting and challenging and I am loving it thus far.

I have a blue '07 (I think) Hobie mirage adventure, Penn Mariner with a daiwa BG-50h that I use for shorcasting also( the reel, not the pole), an unnamed boat pole my uncle made back in the day with a penn 4/0 senator on it (i like to say one is tried and true, the other is shiny and new) and... not much else, i love to DIY and working with my hands so planning to do some work

Joined the forum to get advice and maybe find fishing buddies if anyone is willing to show the new guy the ropes. im especially interested in the safety side before i get into deeper water mostly just been cruising windward side not too far from the house, like kaneohe bay or east side shores. that about it, i look forward to learning a lot from the forum and fellow fisherman.
aloha and god bless

Offline miggz_808

« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2015, 10:15:08 PM »
Aloha My name is Miguel my friends call me miggz I was born and raised in Okinawa. I paddle in a  turquoise supper pro and use a Penn Bluewater carnage jigging rod  with a 8500 spin Fisher v and a custom spinning rod and a ugly stick for bottom fishing. I have been kayaking for about 2 years and love it. Looking forward to meet New anglers tight lines and ALOHA.

Offline gadao

« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2016, 10:23:10 PM »
Hafa adai from Guam, howz it going my name is Bryan thanks for the add,looking foward to learning alot from here and hopefully share some of my experience from Guam..oh and my yak is a 14'4" malibu X-factor. .

Offline Dugbrown

« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2016, 07:29:53 AM »
Aloha, my name is Doug. I think my screen name is self explanatory.  I have lived on Oahu for nearly 18 years.  I was previously in Florida and went to high school back in Ohio.  My dad was in the Air Force so I moved around a lot.  I have a tandem Hobie Outfitter and have been fishing nearly every weekend for the past year.  Mostly out of KBay but a few times last summer out of Waianae.  I plan  on fishing much more out of Waianae once the waves die down. I have pedal drive and use a sail on occasion to get out to deeper ground sometimes. 

I am 53 years old but in fair shape.  I would like to get in the tournament but need a partner.  If anyone is interested let me know.  I have caught papio, awa awa, barricuda, oio, oama, triggerfsh, table boss, Shark, hawkfish, etc.  I haven't caught any of the targeted pelagic fish yet but hopefully will soon.

I usually go fishing on every other friday or on Saturdays. I am looking forward to getting to know you all.

Oh and thank you Rocket for this awesome website!

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2016, 01:15:15 PM »
Welcome to the forums Doug. Please read up on safety and ettiquette when you get the chance and good luck on finding a partner. I'm of now help because of my name haha.

Offline SDKila

« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2016, 07:36:31 AM »
Hey guys, finally got my account set up, I live on BI but from San Diego originally. I fish a trident 13, been kayak fishing for a few years between there and here. Haven't seen any BI posters recently but hope to meet some more fishermen here. Thanks for having me.

Offline Apneablu

« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2016, 11:29:09 PM »
Looks like I finally have some time coming up to hit the water. Name is Carl, I've been free diving and spearfishing on the BI for a little over 9 years. Last year I entered the pelagic pursuit as my first Kayak fishing trip under the mentor-ship of a friend. About ten minutes into my first troll I hooked a nice marlin and although he eventually broke my leader, I was hooked. About an hour later I hooked a nice 40lb Ono. The rest is history. Shortly thereafter I purchase my own kayak, a tan 13' Hobie Mirage and I've been loving Kayak fishing ever since. I don't know if I'll ever get another shot at a marlin but I'm sure gonna try.

Carl

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 08:56:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Moana