Author Topic: INTRODUCTIONS  (Read 26341 times)

Offline HIyakker

• Fish, it's what's for dinner
Re: INTRODUCTIONS
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 09:31:26 AM »

Good to post some of your pics to show us what you catch :)
yeah right you just want to see what she looks like, huh you dirty old man!!   :D :D :D :D
Just Kidding
And Welcome to the forum AKFISHERGAL!!!!
Prowler Trident 13 --- <*)))))><

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
    • http://www.hawaiianmetalworks.com
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 10:01:08 AM »

Good to post some of your pics to show us what you catch :)
yeah right you just want to see what she looks like, huh you dirty old man!!   :D :D :D :D
Just Kidding
And Welcome to the forum AKFISHERGAL!!!!

hmm...YOU'RE the one that volunteered to be the club's OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER!! Now she better watch out when you ask for her picture, making up something like "we keep a photo of all our members to know who is who!!!"

yeah.........riiiiiight................ ;)

Plus, I said she can show pics of her CATCH! NOT HER! Like this:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 05:53:51 PM by metalman »
Check out my Facebook page: "Hawaiian Metal Art" for Custom Rudders, Gaffs, Kage's or anything that you want done with metal, aluminum or stainless steel,  pm me ;) !!

Offline akfishergal

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 10:07:26 PM »
This was a 54# King salmon from the Talkeetna River ... Taken on an 8 wt. fly rod, great fun.

Offline da Pirates

• Sometimes we catch!
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 05:02:46 AM »
That's a heck of a fish on an 8wt, I gotta get me to AK one day.
Jerk 'um up... das how we play!

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 06:37:22 AM »
uh oh....pretty......and carrying it with one hand! Hiyakker, WATCH OUT :D :D!!!!!!!

AWSOME fish, but on 8wt fly rod?? NUTZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o ;D ;D

how long was THAT fight??

If I'm not mistaken, Brian is the fly rod expert here....hmmm....fly rod on a 40lb mahi mahi...now THAT could be fun ;D!!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:44:07 AM by metalman »
Check out my Facebook page: "Hawaiian Metal Art" for Custom Rudders, Gaffs, Kage's or anything that you want done with metal, aluminum or stainless steel,  pm me ;) !!

Offline akfishergal

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 04:08:44 PM »
Merry Christmas, All.
Glad you like my King -- he is a pretty one! I was fishing for sockeyes when I hooked up with this buck, and it did take quite a while to tire that fish out -- which was the only way I managed to land it.  I'm sure we were at least 75 river miles from the ocean, as you can see from the rosy hue on that fish, so it was easier to tire than he would have been dime bright with the sea lice still on board.  Maybe 20 minutes, tops. And I'm not that strong -- what you don't see is my OTHER hand bracing my wrist to I can hold it for the money shot.

If Brian's the fly fishing addict, then by all means he's got to get to Alaska someday to try for some of our trophy rainbows.  My lifetime best was a 32" fish with a 19" girth.  THAT ONE was on a 7 wt, on a stream that's so far off the beaten path that it took hours in a float plane to get there.  I spent half my time fishing and half my time avoiding the brown bears.  There's a little thrill-seeker in every fisher, eh?  I'm excited to try to hook up with some of your Hawaiian fishing excitement, which looks world class.  My companion isn't likely to want to fish, but would probably enjoy paddling along.  We're thinking of Kauai because it's an island we haven't visited yet.  If we can make this trip happen, it will probably be mid-February. 

Offline HG

• Ultra Member
    • Pau Spam, LLC
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 04:27:04 PM »
wow that's one nice salmon!

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 05:30:47 PM »
Ok Kauai Aquahunters........HEAD'S UP ;D ;D ;D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have some time to prepare, so DON'T LET HER DOWN  ;D ;D ;D ;D

MM

P.S. I have some friends down in Alaska who are fishing addicts also:
Stephen Moffit (sherriff) and Jody Hatt. Another friend owns a resturaunt somewhere over there
(but he doesn't want his name known......).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:42:00 PM by metalman »

Offline Carlyon

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2011, 02:49:09 AM »
What's up aquahunters,
My name is Rob, I've only been out a few times fishing on a kayak and I recently got my own. A used classic scupper pro. Great condition that I bought from Hudson right on this forum! I also got a Penn Sargus 6000 reel and a 7000 reel both with 6'6" rods, and a Garmin 3000c f/f. All safety gear accounted for. Not really new to fishing but nowhere near experienced but new to kayaking. Usually I fish from shore or from my friends boat. Recently caught a 300lbs. Marlin. That was exciting.
There's only 3 things I've ever really gotten into.
1. Skateboarding. Been doing it for 25 years and was even a sponsored professional for ten of those years. Don't do it so much nowadays.
2. My wife. Been together 16 years and have a 2 year old daughter. Love them.
3. Jiujitsu.  Been doing it for 10 years.
And I want number 4 to be kayak fishing. I have a pretty good track record of things I got into. Big fish small fish I just love fishing. Being on a kayak is a bonus.
Rob

Offline Carlyon

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2011, 11:58:06 AM »
Sorry, garmin300c fish finder.

Offline Lawai'a.com

• Ultra Member
  • gotta get lucky sometime!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »
seems like you have the passion and dedication to go a long way. having been a professional skateboarder and jiujitsu practitioner for so long proves that you have the dedication and will to do good in what ever you try. you just gotta keep going and figure out whats working for you

Offline Carlyon

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2011, 02:06:14 PM »
Thanks f.b.I. going as much as I can. Taking it slow and figuring things out. Crappy weather though.  Hopefully can go out this week .

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2011, 09:32:29 PM »
Good intro Rob ;D!!!!

HIyakker wants a picture of you!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Offline Carlyon

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2011, 11:43:33 PM »
Okay, so its not from a kayak. But its the only fish I can talk about. Haha! Maybe I can catch one of these in the kayak, Or just be in some big trouble. The other pic is what I'm working with. :)

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
Not a problem to what you're working with......LOOKING GOOD  ;D ;D ;D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline DylanAbernathy

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 10:34:10 AM »
Hey guys, I'm a Georgia boy, trying to figure out Hawaii and do my best online scouting before I go over there for the summer. I'm really here for advice on peacock bass, and possibly offshore fishing if I can get into a yak while I'm there. My main ride over here is a Jackson Coosa, and more recently the Jackson Cuda. I'm looking forward to learning all I can.

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2012, 07:31:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dylan!
How long have you been on a kayk fishing? How long can you paddle ie: what shape are you in? The current and waves over here are MUCH different from going out on a big lake. Peacock Bass...hmm...Lake Wilson by Schofield Barracks has some I think...otherwise, you may have to learn what the HAWAIIAN waves are like ;) !!!!!!!!!!!!
How long will you be here for, and what island are you visiting?
Aloha,
MM

Offline DylanAbernathy

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 06:08:04 AM »
Thank you! I've been in a yak since early Spring of last year. I work for an outfitter out here on a smaller river. I'm a junior in high school, so I'm pretty young and limber. I think the most I've paddled in a day is about 9 miles. I know 9 miles in a river is nothing compared to probably 2 on the ocean, but hey, what can you do? I'll be there for almost all of June, and some of July. I'll be on Hawaii, Kauai, and possibly Oahu. Oahu might not make our list because we've been there twice before, and we're trying to spread out a little.

Thanks,
 Dylan

Offline captken

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2012, 01:26:38 PM »
Hi.  My name is Capt. Ken Roy  I live on the shallow, west coast of Florida.  I got my first charter captain's license in 1961.  I was 21 at the time.  You don't have to be a mathematician to know that I am pretty old, 70. So far, age hasn't slowed me down much but the rising gas prices and all other prices have.  I retired from chartering about 6 years ago and do not miss it a bit.  Both before and since retiring, I have been writing a bunch but, in the past 3 years, it has gotten increasingly harder to sell magazine and any other type article.  Now I am working on fishing E-books with one being sold.  I also run a few kayak fishing charters.  I'd like to run one per week but it isn't happening right now.  They come in bunches.

I've been kayak fishing for 6 years (since I retired) and it has added a new dimension to fishing.  I like yaks because they are so easy to modify to fit your individual fishing style.  If you screw up, it isn't hard to return the yak back to ground zero.  I also love gizmos.  I walk through hardware stores looking for things I can use for fishing---alternative uses.  I look through new fishing catalogs for new ideas and try to turn them into better ideas.  I honestly believe there is not much made by man that I can't make better--or screw up.

I often fish 10 hour days and some of these days the heat index is 100 degrees F plus.  One period in August last year I fished 19 days straight, some kayak charters and some, just because I wanted to go fishing.

The one fish that has eluded me and the one I'd really like to catch is a Swordfish.  I've hooked them and been on the boat when several were landed but not by me.

Tarpon are my favorite inshore fish and the fish that I dream about.  I have an occasional opportunity to fish with some of my old charter clients here in Crystal River well away from home.  Since retiring, I have fished in Alaska, Panama, Venice Louisiana (several times) and all over Florida.  

Here isa video showing  how I catch "Monsters."  I think I was 66 when I caught this one.   http://www.bigbendsportsman.com/video/Ken_and_Goliath.htm
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:36:18 PM by captken »

Offline 1hunter

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2012, 10:59:37 PM »
The ultimate noob!
I'm Dan. 57 year old construction man building the new Naval Hospital Replacement on Guam. I'm a Northwest fisherman and until now mainly a power boat guy. Couldnt bring the boat down here so decided to buy a yak. I have very little experiance with this yak and zero experiance fishing warm water. I need to learn all of it. Found a spot down here where I can get outside the reef but have no real clue what I'm doing. I'm a salmon, steelhead sturgeon guy. What I have learned so far is I love the yak. A little spookey but I feel very much connected to the whole thing. Much more so than a power boat.
 On a personel note I do have a Hawaii connection. My oldest son is Lt. Jack USMC stationed at K-Bay. Infantry officer and a good one. air/ground assualt with 2/3.
 Any help at all guys. I'm not proud. Just love to fish and feeling the whole cowboy in the jungle thing! Today I had a school of dolphins break the surface about  twenty feet from me. Maybe twenty of them. Dark brown. It was cool

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2017, 01:02:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

forum banner