Author Topic: INTRODUCTIONS  (Read 26841 times)

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
Re: INTRODUCTIONS
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2012, 07:46:25 AM »
Hi Dan your color code this! week is yellow meaning do not go past 20 feet of ocean water. Yeehaw!

Offline BEAST

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2012, 03:30:40 PM »

My intro is long overdue; however, Iím going to post one because I want to start competing. Iím going to use the call sign "BEAST" because itís what my military brothers have called me for as long as I can remember.  I have been fishing all my life, but I just recently decided to get into kayak fishing because itís one of the ultimate man things that you can do. I grew up in Texas, lived in Japan for five years, and I have been on the island since 2004.

Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty, and persistence.

-Colin Powell

Offline Redeyejedi

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »
 :)
new member here from los angeles california and noob yakker here as well.
have yak'd before, but never to fish/dive.
recently scored a cobra fish n dive and really enjoy it.
will be moving to oahu in the next few months, looking at hawaii kai, kaneohe areas
other ocean interests include, divin' scuba/free, bodyboard/bodysurf taking pictures and swimming.

looking to meet cool  folks on oahu, kauai and also here in l.a. while i am still here.

aaron

Offline Pennguino

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »
Don't look now, another n00b.  Just moved here from Grafenwoehr, Germany with my wife and daughter.  Took kayak lessons in a river yak with my son.  Holy hell they are unstable :)  Went through the whole flipping and self/buddy recovery.

Tried a more stable yak in Hilton Head Island, Georgia and decided I wanted to stick with it.  Found out I was moving to Hawaii (Oahu-Iroquois Point).  Heard about the yak commuters from Iroquois to Pearl and decided I wanted in (currently taking the Grey Boat).

So I went over to Go Bananas and put a down payment last week on a Malibu Stealth 14.  I have spent the last 3 months reading all I can on yaks.  Stability was the number 1 issue for me.  I am a big guy somewhat... 6'1" 250-260 depending on mama's cooking.  I just seemed to like what I have read about them the most.  Not the fastest (went with the 14 to get whatever speed I can get) but one of the most stable for big guys.

The fishing will come down the road.  I want to get into paddle shape and get comfortable while I get all my gear.  Right now I am riding a bike 6 miles a day.  I got my crossing permit from the Harbor Ops this week.  Hopefully Bananas will get to the bunker and get my Lime Green Stealth this week.  I want to be paddling by the New Year.

I consider myself a Florida Boy.  Spent about about 15 years between Hollywood, Lakeland and Jax.  The other 30 are spread out from Jersey, North Carolina, Colorado and Germany.  I loved salt water fishing and I always smile whenever I see open water or even a stream.  Its just home for me in some way.

I will get more info on the Iroquois to Pearl-Hickam and post it.  I have the new (July 2012) rule book.  If anyone has any info on how they secure their yaks on the base it would be much appreciated.  I am guessing a long cable and a pad lock.

If you see a Middle Aged balding white fat guy, that likes computers and Dungeon and Dragons driving a Lime Green Yak.  Don't be a stranger.

Pennguino (Tim)
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
    • http://www.hawaiianmetalworks.com
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 07:42:12 PM »
  Hi Tim :) !
I spent a little time in Grafenwoehr, every summer when we had "war games". I was based in Frankfurt from '80-'84. Nice place...only place in the world that had all 4 seasons in 1 day :P Glad you and the family made it to Hawaii :) ! How long do you think you'll be staying here??
If you did as much "research" as you mentioned, you know the spots that are pretty good :)
Glad you're going the SAFE route... Hope your kayak comes in soon...one can only hope an early Christmas present??
If not, keep on exercising in other ways....

WELCOME TO THE FORUM :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Metalman 
Check out my Facebook page: "Hawaiian Metal Art" for Custom Rudders, Gaffs, Kage's or anything that you want done with metal, aluminum or stainless steel,  pm me ;) !!

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
    • Writs of a Drifting Son
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 07:46:01 AM »
ah...sweet memories of Graf...NOT!  We did exercises there in both summer and winter and it was either snow or mud, but both equally miserable.  Was a trip to be hanging out and watching the East Germans spying on us from the towers behind the border fence.  Only fond memory I have is my buddy sneaking in beer in his commander's jeep and sneaking out at night to get wasted in some old abandoned castle.

Welcome to the forums Tim- look forward to hearing more about this kayak commute.  I hadn't heard about that before.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:00:07 PM by DriftingSon »

Offline 9th

• Hanapa'a
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »
ah...sweet memories of Graf...NOT!  We did exorcises there in both summer and winter and it was either snow or mud, but both equally miserable.  Was a trip to be hanging out and watching the East Germans spying on us from the towers behind the border fence.  Only fond memory I have is my buddy sneaking in beer in his commander's jeep and sneaking out at night to get wasted in some old abandoned castle.

Welcome to the forums Tim- look forward to hearing more about this kayak commute.  I hadn't heard about that before.

I just release em' (when I can)

Graf???  What about Hohenfels, Wildflecken, Vielsek, & Baumholder???
Oh, God, Thy sea is so great,and my kayak is so small...

Offline Pennguino

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 11:53:04 AM »
Luckily I was never a soldier station in Graf.  Justa  pukey Signal civilian  ::)  The rumor is that Hitler used that area as his training grounds because it was the crappiest weather in all of Germany.  The 300 plus days of cloud cover made it hard to be spied on.  I can attest to it being crappy most of the time.  I had a fire going on July 15th to take the chill off.

I'll try and do a highlight of info from the Harbor Ops directive this weekend for the crossing of the Pearl Inlet.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Offline Cocacola_cowboy

• blessed to live in hawaii na
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 08:45:03 PM »
aloha my name is Jim I live in Kone fished and dove all my life here spent years fishing from a boat
sold them to keep my family wife couldent handel any more heheh i see why now
a friend set me up with a scuper pro kayak to cross train for paddling
then he told me try fishing from it and now iam hookded every day off i am in the water mostly fishing bottom for fish for my ohana
but looking forward to catching something big so far only a kaku about 25 lbs is the bigest looking forward to meeting more people involved in the sport 
tight lines and safe trips Aloha Jim
salt water heals all.
the mind the heart and the soul

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 08:49:08 PM »
I have been to Kone once, whats it like there?

Offline Cocacola_cowboy

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2013, 06:13:11 PM »
Most of the time flat water but but not too many beaches to launch from but it's all good nice weather most of the time
I lived on Oahu in nuuanu I think that's how it's spelled to busy over there
salt water heals all.

Offline evan b

• Ultra Member
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2013, 06:29:20 AM »
:D :D :D

Kone2012

Offline Mbkona

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2013, 11:57:44 AM »
I recently moved to the Big Island (Kona) from Oahu after 20 years, and got bit by the kayak fishing bug.  Bought a Hobie Oasis for Christmas (thank you Kelly at P&P) and have been out every weekend since, trolling opelu purchased at KTA.  I caught a 8 foot hammerhead shark that was fun for about 20 minutes until I saw it, but no bites since then.  Not sure if I'm doing anything right.  Iíve been going out of Keauhou harbor and moving around on both side of the entrance to the harbor at the 40 fathom line .  I did a lot of ocean fishing as I grew up on the east coast (New Jersey), but have very little experience here in Hawaii other than drinking beer on a charter boat...and I gotta say, I'm good at that.  :D I've read almost everything I can find on the Aquahunters website and really appreciate the help from you guys.  I havenít found anyone here in Kona to fish with so Iíve been dragging my good natured wife along every weekend.  I took my 92 year old father in law from New Jersey out this past weekendÖwas a little scary when a young whale came right up to the kayak.  I could have touched him (or her) with my paddle it was so close.  I didnít know what to do so I just sat there. Was more worried about my father in law than I was about me, but it was definitely a pucker moment.  AnywayÖhope to learn a lot and contribute to the community every chance I get.  BTWÖIím the manager at the Honda dealership in Kona if anyone ever needs a favor.

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »
I know there is fish there :)
 You should join the Makahiki this year. Joining the makahiki will help you get exposure and make you a all around better fisherman.
 Best of luck.

Offline Cocacola_cowboy

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2013, 03:04:26 PM »
Give me a shout  my partner Jeff is looking for others to fish with I will be going back to work soon on Kauai so he will need a partner
salt water heals all.

Offline BRG3

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2013, 06:11:06 AM »
Just realized that I had jumped the gun here by not posting an intro so here goes it.

My name is Trey, and I have three beautiful daughters from newborn to 5 years old. I have had a problem with the outdoors since day one. Growing up in Ga I was holding a cane pole catching bream and specks when I was two years old. From there I moved on to bass and catfishing every chance I could convince my dad or one of my grandfathers to take me. Got into hunting around middle school age. By the time I was in highschool the addiction was so bad I was hunting normally three nights a week for coons or hogs. Then came college and the bass fishing again. After two semesters of skipping class to fish at the local lake my scholarship was over. Needing a job I found a career in the Marine Corps. I was sent to NC after basic and MOS school. I learned that NC was just about like Ga, just better BBQ. Here I have harassed everything from the woods, rivers, backwater, and open ocean. Started out with the inshore three; flounder, reds, and speckled trout. Then came the hard stuff lol. Three years ago I got invited to go offshore and that only made things worse. After seeing a huge bull mahi destroy a skirted ballyhoo on a flat line and explode into the air I was hooked as bad as he was. I am headed to Oahu this summer and looking forward to burying a hook into a fish or two there as well. No experience with kayak fishing but ready to learn. The only thing that I enjoy more than fishing is the time I spend with my wife and children. My oldest two daughters are truly daddy's girls. While they like to shop and do girl stuff with mom, they never pass on an outing with me to go fish. Its amazing the talks that you have with your children while waiting on a strike and then seeing the smile on their face when they catch a fish as long as their leg. Good luck on the water and stay safe, I look forward to meeting and fishing with some of you on this forum in the near future.

Offline coconut

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2013, 07:16:45 PM »
HI,  AH

newbie from Aiea 8)

I think what you guys do in your YAKs is f##in Awsome!!!!

love to fish and hunt.

coconut

Offline jkono

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2013, 07:31:33 AM »
New guy here, I wanted to introduce myself and say howzit to everyone here. I enjoyed reading the posts and decided to join.

I was born Maui and moved to Kona raised Kona style since I was one. Konawaena  92 Grad. My family is da Palacats.

I built a 10 foot skiff from Plywood and as soon as I get the right design, I want to build a Kayak and go holoholo too!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:10:20 AM by jkono »

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
    • http://www.hawaiianmetalworks.com
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2013, 08:35:30 AM »
HOWZIT to all you Newbies :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to see more guys joining up :) !!! More guys = more safety!
Some of you said you read a lot on the forum, I'm sure some need to read more ;) !!!
To learn a LOT more, read the past few Makahikis in the previous years!!! (hint hint)
Aloha,
Metalman
Check out my Facebook page: "Hawaiian Metal Art" for Custom Rudders, Gaffs, Kage's or anything that you want done with metal, aluminum or stainless steel,  pm me ;) !!

Offline Gram-Bo

Greeting's from the Caveman
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2013, 12:10:25 PM »
Hello All,

My name is Graham all my friends call me Gram-Bo, thanks to a good friend Big Island Neil. Been fishing, hunting, and living life to the fullest since I started walking. Have been living here in Hawaii since 2006. Grew up in Bend, Oregon little bit of a redneck or at least my neck turns red in the sun.  Thanks to the local people with showing me how to dive, read the ocean and spread the aloha. I have been fortunate to live on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island making connection's and meeting great people.

I started Kayak fishing about  three years ago ( just bottom fishing and Kaneohe bay inside),  I thought chasing tail was more important than fishing for awhile. Now I'm married to a wonderful woman fishing has more appeal. So I was debating on buying blue water dive gear or buying a kayak, still can use the fishing kayak to dive inside which a double plus. I have done multiple runs on the Na' Pali coast. Not new to Kayaking but never much blue water experience. I understand the risk's the ocean can present and never looking to push the limits. There is always something to learn from the people that surround you and on every trip,  I like coming home at the end of the day. I'm by no means a great Kayaker and would like to learn, listen, and enjoy a blue water excursion this summer. I have all of my safety gear still on hand and have been dusting it off ready for an excursion this weekend. Mind you a small excursion for some Uku's, need to get back in paddle shape. I had a scupper for awhile sold it and my last kayak was a two man but sun damage took hold. My new purchase at the end of the month is going to be a Trident 15'. Going to put the 385 CI FF and outfit with the gear I have.

Thanks for all the info you guys share on the forum's look forward to meeting some of you in person. Good luck to the guys fishing this week in the wonderful weather. Oh included picture of my cave man days that white eel caught two ulua in the big I and made for a tasty snack.
"A bad day in the water beats and good day at work"

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 18, 2017, 02:42:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Molokai Sunset