Author Topic: INTRODUCTIONS  (Read 26340 times)

Offline ImGonnaYak

Re: INTRODUCTIONS
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2013, 03:05:41 PM »
I'm Peter.  I've lived in Hawaii on Big Island & Maui (now) for the past 14 years. Been whipping, dunking, sliding, for most of that time. 
Just bought a Trident 13 a couple of months ago to catch the end of the whale season.  Had some minor ocean kayaking experience
from paddling around in rentals with visiting friends numerous times, borrowing one to fish with a partner, etc.  I'm keeping things pretty
low key for now to be safe.  I think I have a fairly healthy respect for the ocean.  Between my own hairy experiences on the coastline, and the
things we read in the news every week, I know you can't fool around.

So far, just taking some minor 3-4 hour trolls with crystal minnows, etc. in the area the between the Pali and Oluwalu.  Don't know if I'll ever get
into the bluewater stuff.   Staying within a mile or so fo for now, and enjoying my time on the water while dragging a lure.  Trying to adapt some of my
shoreline gear where I can, slowly buying equipment focusing on safety & organization first.  As my nickname alludes to, I tend to turn a bit
green when things get bumpy :P and don't want the paddle back to be too long at this point.   Aloha.  Maybe see you out there.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:42:04 PM by ImGonnaYak »

Offline fishhunter

• Gone Fishing
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2013, 11:09:08 PM »
Aloha! My name is Jordan finally figured out how to get on this forum and get an account going!. I live in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island and have been here for about a year now. I originally come from northern California where i was born and raised fishing lakes,rivers, and reservoirs targeting large brown trout. I also have always had a love for the ocean and all its creatures. I had been spearfishing and abalone diving on the northern california coast up until I moved here with my lovely wife Hannah and had no idea what clear ocean looked like until I got to Kona! Since being here I have drastically changed my spearfishing style from what I was doing in cali. I have been missing the sound of line ripping off the real though and finally got together enough money to buy a Trident 13 from P&P kayaks where they hooked me up with everything I needed including a kayak for my wife. Since then I have slowly been buying and trying out different setups for catching pelagic's thanks to a lot of guidance from this forum. I now almost have all the gear I need to target the pelagic's safely besides a FF which is coming very soon. I can not wait to hook up to a big fish again since it has been a while. Anyway just wanted to introduce myself and I hope to see some of you out on the water!

Offline bobadaba

« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2013, 04:36:23 PM »
Hello All,

About Bobadaba, well first off my name is Bob, second it's from, Richard Dreyfuss to Bill Murray in the 1991 comedy film What About Bob?:  or in West African it literally means "Big Butt", take yer pick sailor.  Several women I know chose the latter.

Been fishing since the early 50's, age 3 from dads home made boat, mostly in the Texas gulf coast.  Caught everything there, from the inshore to the oil platforms to blue water from sail and motor.  Retired military so fished around the world small time mostly.  I've been on Oahu since 2005 when I got my first Hobie Outback, which I used mostly on the west side in shallow water <15 fathoms.  I've got a Hobie 16 Cat I restored and take it out sometimes too.  I upgraded to a red AI and spent the last year getting comfortable with it in all kinds of weather and seas.  I go out to <50 fathoms now, catching pelagics, although I have been to the bouys and caught fish there, it's a long way to go and been there only on good days.

Caught lots of fish here, but I end up letting the big ones go.  I eat what I kill, and big ones are too much.  So the reason I'm here now is I like to learn new things.  I would like to join up with some people and soak up the knowledge.  Would like to read the water better, learn the wise ways, watch and learn then do.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:51:32 PM by bobadaba »

Offline Lylefk

« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »
Hey,

My name is Lyle, new to the forum and moving to Maui from the west coast around Nov 1. I'm 33, and I've been fishing my whole life...in freshwater. I grew up fishing for bass, trout, catfish, etc with my dad. As I grew older, my interests expanded to include Salmon and Steelhead. I don't have a lot of digital pictures, but I've caught Salmon to 54#, Steelhead to 12#, Largemouth Bass to 8.5#, and Catfish to 21#. That one is probably my favorite because that was the last big fishing trip with my dad before he passed away. As of late, I've been really interested in getting into kayak fishing, and as soon as we realized we wanted to move, this came to the front.

Anyway, I'm here to learn as much as I can about fishing in salt and on Maui, and prepare as much as I can for fishing there. I'm selling off most of my gear and at the moment, scouring the forums reading up as much as I can on what gear to replace it with. I really appreciate this community for the information and the attitude, and some day soon I'll be able to contribute instead of just soaking up the info.

Besides fishing, I'm also into photography and being outdoors and in the water. Absolutely LOVE Hawaii and can't wait for the move. It can't get here fast enough. One of my shots, from a few years ago:

So...thanks for the community. See you around!

Lyle

Offline uplandhawaii

• BentFrame4X4.com
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2013, 10:05:39 PM »
Aloha and welcome guys! Braddah Pete good to see you here!  Lyle killer picture of the city!  Jordan, yeah man Kona has nice water, I'm on the Hilo side and I'm over the murkiness!  Been hitting that side monthly to fish.  Hope to see some of you guys on the water!
HOW much is that to ship to Hawaii!!!???

Offline Unscrew3d

« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2013, 10:50:27 PM »
Aloha, 
  Derek here moved to Oahu back in October 2012, picked up a Yak and have been fishing the West side mainly since I have arrived. My dad was in the Navy so I have lived all over and fished all over. My Dad has a online tackle business he makes custom tackle mostly for striper fishing but he sends some my way and I test it out. I try to sneak out and fish anytime the wife will let me, thanks for letting me on your site and thank you for all the great info.

Offline constergirl

« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2013, 02:05:35 PM »
Aloha,
My name is Connie and I live in Honolulu. 
My kayak is a Cobra: not sure about size yet.
I'm brand new to kayak fishing and just rigged my first pole.

I am interested in going out with other people, particularly in Honolulu.  Please message me if you want some company!

Thanks,
Connie

Attached is a photo of my kayak.  Pink!  ::)

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2013, 02:18:41 PM »
That's Pink!
Might want to check into getting a rudder for it. That will help sooooo much. Good people at Go Bananas should be able to set you up with one.
Good luck and be safe, I'm sure your have no trouble finding people to go with.

Offline ULUA KANAK

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »
Eh howitz everybody im new AH and my name is derrick i live out here in waimanalo and im 27 years old. I been kayak fishing for 2 years. My kayak dat i run is hobbie pro angler 2013 model. I have 2 rocket launchers pole holders and the humminbird 385 ci combo with the navionics gold card.As far as the reel and pole, i run shimano tyrnos 50 with hundred lb braid on 80 lb trolling rod dat i build my self its very strong. I also run a rainshadow jigging rod that i built in 25-30lb class dat i run with penn 950 on 30lb test. I havent caught any palegics yet only uluas and small papio. But im not giving up. Dats a little bit about me. ALOHA
GO BIG OR GO HOME CHEEEEEE

Offline Tofu

« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2013, 06:24:57 AM »
Aloah AH Ohana,

My name is Chris.  Born and Raised on Maui 29 years.  I'm a tax accountant by day, hence the forum name.  I just recently got into Kayaking, after picking up a Pelican Castaway 116 on Craigslist.  I've been looking for an activity that will motivate me to increase my physical abilities with a target, rather than just to be a fitness freak.  I have some experience paddling, mostly 6 mans for Highschool and Clubs.  Most of my experience fishing is shore fishing from small kid days.  Kaanapali Talapia Contest FTW! 

I'm focusing on training and learning the skill set at this time.  Looking for some people who are interesting in buddying up for trips on Maui.  No plan to go into the deep deep blue until my knowledge and abilities are much higher. 

I have to say this forum holds a wealth of information.  I have been most impressed by the Safety First and Malama o ke Kai attitude AH has. 

Hopefully I can learn some tips and lessons from some of you Maui Pro's out on the water one day!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:25:17 AM by Mauitaxes »

Offline The Griz

« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »
Hey my name is Brian,
I'm originally from Florida...I spent about 8 years in southern California and now I am here in Oahu. Ive done fishing of all kinds but I am new to Kayak fishing. I've got a 15' Scupper pro and I have all kinds of fishing gear from ultra light spinners to a Penn 12/0.
I'm looking to get after some palagics but want to start off learning with the smaller stuff.

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
    • Writs of a Drifting Son
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2013, 06:39:45 PM »
Sorry- we already have a Griz.

Offline Krusty

« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2013, 06:45:46 PM »
Hi there, my name's "G" and thanks for having me! I fish out of south Florida. I paddle a Prowler Big Game since 2007,my first and only Kayak so far. I primarily used it for freediving and Spearfishing and started to fish from it only last year. I found that this Forum is the best information/exchange recource there is,thank you,s!

Offline Ryōshi

« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2013, 06:42:52 AM »
Hi my name is chris I am army med retired. Stay at home dad for the time being. I currently in Georgia  where my wife and I are stationed.  We will be in Hawaii stationed at Schofield early October.  I have a 2004 hobie outback that's waiting for me at my buddies house already. Can't wait to get there and get in the water and fish with and meet new people! New to the sport and kayaking so looking for mentor!
A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

north shore shark adventures

Offline yoda

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2013, 07:27:09 PM »
Aloha All....I just joined Aquahunters today but have been checking out the site for awhile. My name's Keith and I live in Kona (Kona Palisades area). Grew up in Hilo but have lived in Kona since 1975. Retired at the end of last year from the State of HI (also retired from the Army....I'm 62yo) and bought a slightly used Hobie Revolution this past March but have only been on the water maybe 8-10 times so far (been busy w/my son getting married, softball, hunting, and most recently my mom passing away). Haven't caught any pelagic's yet but have seen many sharks!!!! Going thru my growing pains and paying my dues....have caught nabeta and goats though. I have experience mostly shoreline night fishing, diving, throwing net, picking opihi/crab, etc and have done a lot of hunting (mostly archery, so a lot of archers know me). Anyway, thanks for the helpful information and letting me be a part of this site. Good luck and be safe when you're out there. Aloha...keith

Offline Hero

« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2013, 09:09:56 AM »
Hello, my name is Josh and I am stationed at Schofield Barracks. I have only fresh water fished, until my father-in-law took me out in Florida and I caught a huge red fish in the bay. He has a Hobie outfitter kayak, and I am interested in renting first before purchasing. I have been doing a lot of reading on all the boards, especially about the safety. Any advice on fishing spots for kayaking would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!

Offline IslandGirl637

« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2013, 08:02:41 PM »
Aloha

My name is Vivian and my profile name is because, well I love islands and being surrounded by the ocean and I am a female, maybe a little too old to be a "girl" but still. The 637 is pager code since I am from the pager days :-)

I am 100% new to fishing on a kayak and on the islands in general. I fished as a kid in Central America, fresh water and out in the beautiful sea.  I used to go with my parents and remember being up at 4am getting everything ready and loading up the boat.  Always fresh live bait, so I am clueless with the other stuff although my Moms husband had a box full and sometimes would use them himself. I was pretty young and enjoyed the smell of fish way better than that rubber smell, it always made me nauseous.

I am now on this learning journey on my own, as with many things I hear "No worries, sistah I take you out n teach you" but I still haven't gone to do any of the things I want to learn. :-)
So I am taking the step to just learn on my own so I can teach my daughter, she is 6 yrs old.

We live windward side and I am getting a Lifetime Tamarack Angler. I know its cheap (quality wise) but I am getting it free and new, so I'm taking it, I mean it's free!  I think for starting off and learning is just right for me.   
I have lurked the forum for a while and finally registered. Looking forward to learning and growing, just don't laugh to hard when I goof up.  ;D

Offline Hootah

« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2013, 07:02:15 AM »
Welcome and good luck, Vivian.  Kailua Beach is a good place to start.  Be safe, aloha.
The Ocean is Good for the Soul.

Offline nopro

« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2013, 08:36:33 AM »
Aloha everyone, a short introduction of myself. I grew up in South Florida between the florida keys and the the city of Miami. Most days you could catch me next to a lake/canal with a rod in my hand. Weekends were spent overnight fishing off the numerous inlet bridges scattered across south florida. I was pretty addicted to fishing growing up. I arrived in the islands in '05 and between work, family, and school fishing kinda got put on the back burner. My brother recently got into fishing off a kayak and that got me thinking and the more I think about the more I want to do it. So here I am trying to find about this sport as much as possible before diving head first into it.

Currently I'm debating between a Hobie mirage drive (probably) the revo or the OC trident.

Offline kamakazi

« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »
Aloha all:) I'm Jack I'm a skin diver been diving for about two years been fishing all my life on the mainland hoping to fish and dive off my scupper pro soon looking forward to meeting some good people and getting more knowledge.
Chutes
N3k
Team Spicybeans
Live laugh Dive

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2017, 01:01:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Makena Landing Tournament