Author Topic: how to fish the bait pile  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
how to fish the bait pile
« on: July 28, 2011, 09:23:22 AM »
well the other morning i was fishing the bait pile and this guy who i have never seen before at 5:00 am in the morning comes right in between me and this older woman in about 2 feet of water... now me and this woman are standing in the water, while its still dark, and about 2 feet away from eachother..

so this guys steps on my foot.. gives me a little nudge and then starts to set up his pole and that hit me too..  the guy fully ignores me and he turns his back to me and starts to talk to the old woman (his friend).. with his head right next to mine..

my first thought was maybe i should move over away from the pile.. but i was like what the hell.. this dude is flat out rude.. my next thought was to trip him and hold his head underwater.. so i made a couple of comments for him to step back.. which he ignored and he was being a little pr!ck.. so i gave him a couple of nice shoves to move him back... then he goes and gets his cousin and is like what?? and I am like What?? so things got pretty heated up... i eventually walked away and didn't even fish the pile.. i wanted to kill and that's not how fishing is supposed to be..

here is a couple of unwritten rules and etiquette when fishing the bait pile...

1) be nice, courteous, and respectful of the people around you.. its not a bad idea to say hi to the people next to you and make friends with the people your fishing with
2) don't be a bait whore and jump from one spot to another spot in the bait pile line.. you will look like an @ss and people will be pissed
3) if people are all ready fishing elbow to elbow DO NOT to squeeze in between them unless you want a good @ss whooping.. golden rule is if my hands are on my hips and my elbows are out and your touching me your to close. if you want a good spot in the line, get there early like everyone else..
4) be respectful of the local residents who live on these beaches..  this is where they live and this is where they come everyday regardless if the bait pile is in or not.. respect people homes.. many of the people fishing the pile are not even from the area.. but drive island wide to reach the pile.. be nice to people in their back yards
5) don't rape the pile... how much do you need? are you going to eat bait every day for the rest of the year... take your limit and go home... why load up... don't forget we are not that much better than the netters.. yeah they may take the whole pile in one crack but eventually the bait whores catching 200-300 pieces of bait a day will take a big portion of the pile too..and then there will be very little fish to return to spawn again the next year..

we are very protective of the bait piles where i live.. if you want to rape it go somewhere else.. we recognize the need to be vigilant.. this is the food chain and when you mess that up.. you mess up a lot of other fisheries.. i know you may like to eat bait.. but lets leave some food for the predator fish to eat or they will leave to find food..

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Offline wildirish

• Ultra Member
  • Underwater Rugby Brother
Re: how to fish the bait pile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:33:43 AM »
Boogie I feel ya! Actually had an uncle showing me what the oama should be doing and how to fish the pile with out spooking them...
and a young and equally rude young man proceeded to do the same thing. Except uncle told him to git! :D
Courtesy and respect go a long way!
E Malama I Ka Wai Ola  Protect our waters FOR LIFE

Always leave the beach better than you found it, respect the locals,
respect all, so those who do not respect, can see the way. You will never receive what you do not give. Live Pono

Offline KChock

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:07:37 AM »
All good points. Unfortunately guys like that will never read or understand this.  Hard to walk away, but usually better than escalation. This guy will get his cracks eventually, if not from you then someone qualified, no doubt. Good move.

Offline takoman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:49:21 PM »
Way to be the Bigger Man!!
Next time whip out your Botto and pee in a circle. that should give to at least 3-4 feet around you.

Offline HG

• Ultra Member
    • Pau Spam, LLC
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 07:53:45 PM »
Classic Boogie!  Elbows before sunrise.  Maybe next time you can palu the pile over to your new location :-)

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 09:54:15 PM »
Next time whip out your Botto and pee in a circle. that should give to at least 3-4 feet around you.

Its 9:44 and Im cracking up Tako! :D

Boogie, I guessed it worked! I sent that guy down there just to annoy you before the PPO, yes!

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 10:48:41 AM »

Boogie, I guessed it worked! I sent that guy down there just to annoy you before the PPO, yes!

to funny... you guys just made my day.. ALOHA.. ps our pile is gone.. some one netted it..   :'( :'( :'( :'(  but not before i got a few pieces.. dam netters suck

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Offline Givum

• http://jacksonkayak.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 05:30:08 PM »

Brah, this is to fricken funny!!! :D :D :D :D

Offline Five_Oh

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 06:17:45 PM »
Just wanted to report that I thought of this thread while I was fishing for halalu this morning!  ;)
Hobie Tandem Island - Mango

Offline lyle

• i smell something fishy...
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 05:06:05 PM »
that sounds just like maui you can be fishin for a couple of hours and someone just comes and squeazes in next to you then steals your spot or scares them all away because they dont know what the hell they are doing.

Offline jay

• Ultra Member
  • eat fish!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 10:06:41 PM »
While fishing a dwindling halalu pile from my kayak being very curtious of not disturbing the shoreline fishermen, had a couple irate ones decide it would be fun to try to fly rocks and leads at me. It was disappointing that as I was just trying to pick up a few baits before heading out these guys will day after day be there bragging about catching 300 pieces a day. I guess some people just don't get it ???
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:13:41 AM by jay »

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »
While fishing a dwindling halalu pile from my kayak being very curtious of not disturbing the shoreline fishermen, had a couple irate ones decide it would be fun to try to fly rocks and leads at me. It was disappointing that as I was just trying to pick up a few baits before heading out these guys will day after day be there bragging about catching 300 pieces a day. I guess some people just don't get it ???

Damn thats tough.

Offline eatmofish

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 07:14:45 PM »

Get a slingshot and send the leads back  ;)

Offline Lawai'a.com

• Ultra Member
  • gotta get lucky sometime!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 06:27:20 AM »
If any one tried to throw rocks and lead at me I would be on the beach so fast weighing in my new record I just hit with my Kage.  ;D ;D

Offline Lawai'a.com

• Ultra Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 06:28:33 AM »
Then I would probably grab some of his 300 halalu and go fish

Offline Kau grown

• Ultra Member
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 10:52:17 AM »
If any one tried to throw rocks and lead at me I would be on the beach so fast weighing in my new record I just hit with my Kage.  ;D ;D
Lol no forget your bat too

Offline jay

• Ultra Member
  • eat fish!
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 09:24:24 PM »
yeah my kawela bat.. :-*

Offline Lawai'a.com

• Ultra Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 04:09:39 AM »
 ;D

Offline tim2199

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 08:21:18 PM »
Leave your dynamite at home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 07:15:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

uku 4-14