Author Topic: Tips on Using a Manual Bilge Pump  (Read 1498 times)

Offline HG

• Ultra Member
    • Pau Spam, LLC
Tips on Using a Manual Bilge Pump
« on: August 29, 2011, 09:36:22 AM »
Does anyone have any tips on using a manual bilge pump when conditions are horrid?  For example, I took on water every time I opened my hatch last weekend, including when I attempted to use the bilge pump.  More water came in than I could pump out.  Pretty frustrating.  TIA

Offline Kayaking Bob

• Fishing, Trolling, Sailing
    • KayakingBob
Re: Tips on Using a Manual Bilge Pump
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 09:48:55 AM »
Aloha Dan from the Big Island actually cut a hole and mounted a PVC plumbers clean-out on his kayaks deck just large enough to fit the pump through to hand pump it without much additional water coming in. 

Others that already have a battery on board for their fishfinder have added a cheap electric sump pump ($20+) to pump it.

If I'm in conditions so bad that I can't open the hatch, I'd paddle/pedal to better conditions first, but then I'm in a Hobie AI with large outriggers, so I'll float even full of water.  (I've proven that at times!  :o )  I read one kayak fisherman last week or so here near Olowalu Maui took on so much water his kayak sunk and had to have help swimming back to shore (Maui News).

Offline yelloman

• Ultra Member
  • reel nice!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »
that's a really good question - never thought much about that - and I carry a manual bilge pump - hmm, maybe I need to practice the act (in my imagination that is)

Personally I wouldn't open any hatches when the conditions are bad but that means you have to keep some gear on deck.
Then I would wait for conditions to get better and go to work.

Polypropylene is naturally buoyant hence a kayak can take on quite some water. If you add additional buoancy to the hull like
in the form of pool noodles to offset the extra gear you stuff inside the hull then you might be able to create a safe ride.

Offline AlohaDan

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 01:33:27 PM »
See my post on Hobie forum:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22362&hilit=pump

DO NOT USEV THE FIRST LOCATION!! Scroll down to the second.

If you really don't want to use a separate opening, I suggest a large beach towel (you might have one for fish) be wrapped around the pump so it covers any hatch opening.

Gave South Africa World Cup a run. Next up Brazil

Offline HOLOHOLO

• "The Wind is Your Friend"
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
The first guy that can figger out how to make a hobie mirage drive activate a manual bilge pump will make a fortune.
"Real Men Don't Furl!"

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 01:08:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

da cru