Author Topic: carpultunnel from my AI  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
carpultunnel from my AI
« on: September 20, 2011, 08:28:20 PM »
wasn't sure where to post this.. but it has become a safety issue now for me.. after all these years of riding the AI, I am developing carpultunnel (spelling?) on my left wrist.. the one that steers the rudder... i am positive that the rudder steering lever is creating the damage to my wrist.. it has become quite irritated, uncomfortable and downright painful at times.. when steering the Hobie AI there is a lot of pressure and strain put on the wrist.. i even use my thigh as a brace for by wrist.. almost acting like a cantilever for my thumb thus putting more pressure on the area..

common sense tell me "stop doing whats hurting you".. but this is what i love to do.. and this is my lively hood... if i keep this up my wrist is going to fall off.. so now i will be looking into modifications to the Hobie rudder lever.. maybe like mounting on some type of ball to the lever for better grip.. any other AI owners experiencing this or have made mods to the steering lever? and not sure how to treat it.. been using ice and Icy/hot rubs with ace bandage.. MAHALO..

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Offline CHUCK55

Re: carpultunnel from my AI
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:20:02 PM »
Boogie, you need the new knob/lever.
The new AI/TI have threaded insert in them and for $9 you can get a big fat knob to screw in to it.
for visual reference: http://www.austinkayak.com/products/3783/Hobie-Steering-Knob-Assembly.html

The Hobie forum addresses the way to upgrade an older (pre-2010) boat.
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33270

Steering with the knob uses more of your palm and less of a pinching motion. This guy has a good review of it:
http://yakass.net/articles/equipment-a-preparation/773-hobie-steering-handle-knobs

Hope this helps

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 09:41:21 PM »
Boogie - I have an extra knob that you can connect onto your rudder control handle. You can have it next time I see you. Gotta get some physical therapy exercises for that.  Try PM Surf Bum for more info.  Aloha - Kev

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline Rusty

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »
Not a doctor but i recently had some bad carpultunnel.  To tell you the truth i think Hydration is the key.  I drink a LOT of beer/alcohol and when i hydrated it helped. Sure they gave me a splint and drugs, but i changed my drinking habit for about 2 weeks and it almost went away.  Recently went back to my old routine and it's starting to hurt again.  When i get back from vacation it's going to be hydration all the way for me.  It SUCKS, but i have to change my life style if i want to feel better and paddling is more important to me.  Not sure if you're in the same boat, but i thought i'd throw my .02 in there.  By the way, if they offer a shot in your wrist then get it.  The pain goes away instantly.  It was a Cortisone shot.

Offline Boogie-D

• Ultra Member
  • addicted to kayak fishing
    • Coastal Kayak Tours
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:56:44 AM »
sweet thanks guys.. i am picking up my new 2012 Hobie AI this week.. I will install the knob on it right away.. so glad Hobie got this one worked out.. it kind of snuck up on me.. rusty.. good point.. i am sure coors light waters are not helping me either.. thanks again

Wind is the fuel for my Hobie. Aloha Boogie-D www.coastalkayaktours.com

Offline Doc Hall

• Ultra Member
  • Too Close for missiles, i'm switching to guns.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:48:08 AM »
They make wrist braces for it too, might wanna check that out and google carpal tunnel syndrome exercises and stretches.  Icing it down will help with the inflammation.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Offline mongoose

• Ultra Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »
You ever try acupuncture...it works man.  If you need a good one I have his number.  I sprained my ankle about 5 years ago and someone suggested it to me...I said what the heel I have nothing to lose... the acupuncturist had me walking normally in 20 minutes.

Offline surf-bum

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:21:30 AM »
Sorry to hear about the carpal tunnel Boogie. What types of symptoms are you having? Numbess, aching, pins/needles? Also where are you having them (what side of hand, what fingers, etc). Has your grip strength changed at all?

Shoot me a pm if you need. I will try to help as much as I can.

Offline BET9100

• Fishing keeps me sane !!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 01:58:22 PM »
Boogie-D let us know how you like your new 2012 AI

Offline Kayaking Bob

• Fishing, Trolling, Sailing
    • KayakingBob
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 05:13:20 PM »
The 2012 AI has the larger rudder handle, as well as the larger rudder.  Also, you can mount the ball handle to the handle.  I hope it helps you.

KB

Offline takoman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »
Sorry to hear about your wrist Boog. Ill do you a favor and take your old AI off your hands so it dont hurt you anymore. ;D

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2017, 07:27:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Mahi Color Change