Author Topic: avoid becoming bait  (Read 3140 times)

Offline fishfearme

avoid becoming bait
« on: January 14, 2012, 09:53:11 PM »
with the fresh GWS sighting off oahu  i was wondering what the best thing to do during a shark sighting to avoid becoming dinner.stop and reel in your baits or keep paddling? i would think you wouldn't want to paddle of to quickly or you would set off the predator prey instinct. i would assume  you either stop paddling and  grab your kage just in case you end up in the water or try to take in the experience while continuing to paddle slowly in the opposite direction. if it decides to get to close is it a bad idea to try to scare it off by giving a good slap on the surface with your paddle. and if its way to close i know i'm going to give him a good poke.  is it like bears warranting a different reaction depending on species? think i might just empty a can of bear stay in the water next to me. they won't like the flavour to much.  i know driving to the beach is more dangerous just want to prepare myself mentally so i can avoid the brown shorts badge.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:33:06 AM by fishfearme »

Offline da Pirates

• Sometimes we catch!
Re: propper shark eddeckit
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 09:59:36 PM »
huh?
Jerk 'um up... das how we play!

Offline fishfearme

Re: avoiding become bait
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 10:14:10 PM »
holly quick response. hit enter by mistake while trying to learn how to spell. ::)

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
  • There is kayak fishing and there is Aquahunters
Re: avoiding become bait
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 11:13:10 PM »
Google it!

Offline fishfearme

Re: avoid becoming bait
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 12:55:57 AM »
i've googled it and done a thread search and read a lot.  still not totally clear what the best thing to do is. i would think just stopping, reeling in gear if its not to close, and letting it get over its curiosity would be best. just curious if its best to stop paddling or peddling since it might be more likely to mistake the movement as fins making your yack look alive.  maybe i should have put this in the noob section. just looking for as many tips to stay safe out there.

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
    • Writs of a Drifting Son
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 08:18:01 AM »
If you just see a one casually hanging around you, reel up and leave.  You won't be catching fish while he's there anyway, so just just find another spot.  If he places the end of your kayak in his mouth, just let out a big man-scream and wail on his head with your paddle.  Works for me.

Offline eatmofish

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 08:40:10 AM »
If you just see a one casually hanging around you, reel up and leave.  You won't be catching fish while he's there anyway, so just just find another spot.  If he places the end of your kayak in his mouth, just let out a big man-scream and wail on his head with your paddle.  Works for me.

LMAO big man-scream...hehe...

Just slip your biggest live bait hook onto your best pole, hook it thru your cheek, jump in the water and thrash around. Bound to catch it.  ;) :D :D

Sashimi time...(for the GW)

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »
Its all fun and games until the mano wants to play

Offline da Pirates

• Sometimes we catch!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »
Turn on the Shark Shield and hope it works!
Jerk 'um up... das how we play!

Offline 9th

• Hanapa'a
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 11:38:08 AM »
I am still very new to kayak fishing. Having just started back in September. But, I have already been visited 5 times by a Tiger shark.

One visit included a nice bump on my stern...

I reckon the time to get scared is when he bumps your SNUFFLEUPAGUS off the yak!!! :o
Oh, God, Thy sea is so great,and my kayak is so small...

Offline wetokole

• Ultra Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »
Sharks don't bite....Unless they open their mouths and closes it on you or your kayak... ;D

Offline 619-SWIM-DOG

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 01:46:01 PM »
Just like the GWS sighting off of Oahu it was after they reeled in there catch that the shark circled the boat. I think this is the time that we as kayak fisherman are most vulnerable. We have a bloody fish in our lap and are busy trying to get everything back to normal(fish in bag, untie lines,etc.).  You can easily be distracted. The chances are slim but they are there. I think the best advice is just to remain calm and observant of what the shark is doing if you see him first. If you don't see him,  just give a couple shouts out to GOD and hope your not lunch.....

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 02:39:44 PM »
Main reason I keep my legs in the boat when landind a fish, more than once the mano has appeared right when I am about to kage. I wouldnt want him to choose a calf or ankle if he didnt get my fish.

Someone needs to invent a shark bell.

Offline PENN950

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 08:21:26 PM »
I don't know how useful this tip would be but, i've heard that people had decals or sprayed on black and white striped pattern on the bottom of their surfboards. Its supposed to deter sharks from approaching or its similar to something that they despise eating??? Now i don't know if that were to work, if when your on your kayak and a bleeding fish is causing a scene, a hungry shark is gonna do what its been doing for 1,000's of years and thats be curious and try and investigate, how to get that prey in its belly :)

Offline Rocket

• Administrator
  • Ultra Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 05:53:56 AM »
Maybe ill get some striped stockings.

Offline wildirish

• Ultra Member
  • Underwater Rugby Brother
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »
I don't know how useful this tip would be but, i've heard that people had decals or sprayed on black and white striped pattern on the bottom of their surfboards. Its supposed to deter sharks from approaching or its similar to something that they despise eating??? Now i don't know if that were to work, if when your on your kayak and a bleeding fish is causing a scene, a hungry shark is gonna do what its been doing for 1,000's of years and thats be curious and try and investigate, how to get that prey in its belly :)

:D :D :D

Old wives tale... OCD had tiger striped stickers on the bottom of his yak...and I he had encounters almost everytime out.   But so you right...sharks have got their game down after 1,000s of years they gonna eat  ;)
E Malama I Ka Wai Ola  Protect our waters FOR LIFE

Always leave the beach better than you found it, respect the locals,
respect all, so those who do not respect, can see the way. You will never receive what you do not give. Live Pono

Offline takoman

• Ultra Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »
If Mano wants you there is only one think you could do.
That is tuck ur head between ur knees and kiss ur Butt goodbye.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 01:06:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Kala