Author Topic: PENN Spinfisher V series  (Read 5837 times)

Offline Ahinahina

PENN Spinfisher V series
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:13:22 AM »
just came across this vid and thought you guys might want to check it out if you havent already.

New PENN® Spinfisher® V Product Video
Bumbai

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
Re: PENN Spinfisher V series
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:01:48 AM »
Might have to give this a look see! Thanks for posting. :)

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline Ahnko Chee

• Ultra Member
  • Makule Akule
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 06:58:31 PM »
9500 & 10500 not available until Jan. 2013 but maybe worth the wait especially the 10500 with HUGE line capacity  :o :
SSV10500    mono 415/30 • 350/40 • 255/50, braid 750/50 • 670/65 • 580/80, bearings 5+1, max drag 40 lbs, ratio 4.2:1, weight 39.8(oz)
http://www.pennreels.com/products/reels/spinning-reels/spinfisher-v
I ike lakou, o oe, ka mea wale no nona ka inoa, o Iehova; O oe no ka Mea kiekie loa maluna o ka honua a pau. HALELU 83:18

Offline THE KRAKEN

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 07:28:45 AM »
i have the penn spinfisher v 10500 .. its a beast of a spinner reel with 40lbs of drag. just got to find a better pole to run it off of now. but i think its a great reel if you are trying to decide between spinner and level-wind ..
never underestimate nature ..

Offline Ahinahina

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:25:25 AM »
Yup got 2 of them for the season with 65 lb power pro slick and matched with 2 heavy Penn Blue Water Carnage rods, havent gotten to use them yet but they feel as sturdy as my other conventional set ups. I plan on doing a review at the end of this season.
Bumbai

Offline THE KRAKEN

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
nice .. how much are those rods? and where did u pick them up at? i was thinking of buying an expensive shimano rod that they said matched with the stella reel .. but i went with a cheaper one haha ..
never underestimate nature ..

Offline pakaak

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 10:15:06 PM »
The drag system and gear housing on the PENN  Spinfisher V are sealed with gaskets, should work well for kayak fishing as long as the gaskets no fail.  Roy's got them on sale right now!  The 10500 is a beast of a reel, how we'll do the reel seats on the blue carnage rods accommodate the 10500 reel?  I picked up a 8500 at Roy's and paired it with a ugly stik one piece 7 foot heavy big water spinning pole from sports authority!  Those carnage rods look solid!

Offline Ahinahina

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 10:49:48 AM »
The reel seats I have are strong. It should hold up fine. they are all metal all the way around one piece, check out the specs on it here:

http://www.pennfishingstore.com/penn-carbw3050s70-bluewater-carnage-spinning-rod.html
Bumbai

Offline pakaak

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 01:47:53 PM »
Where did you get your rods from?  Does POP sell them?

Offline Kau grown

• Ultra Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 08:52:05 PM »
The drag system and gear housing on the PENN  Spinfisher V are sealed with gaskets, should work well for kayak fishing as long as the gaskets no fail.  Roy's got them on sale right now!  The 10500 is a beast of a reel, how we'll do the reel seats on the blue carnage rods accommodate the 10500 reel?  I picked up a 8500 at Roy's and paired it with a ugly stik one piece 7 foot heavy big water spinning pole from sports authority!  Those carnage rods look solid!

The reel seat on my blue water Carnage handles 100 plus pound ahi's like a champ with no problems!!! Compared to my Penn Internaitional stand-up V rod and Penn Mariner rod, The blue water Carnage rod was the best rod to battle 100# ahi's on! Super strong to boost and turn heads but flexible enough to absorb the strong pulses from an ahi. Both ahi's caught with the Carnage rod felt alot easier to boost and battle fish on!

Offline pakaak

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 01:06:22 AM »
The reel seat on my blue water Carnage handles 100 plus pound ahi's like a champ with no problems!!! Compared to my Penn Internaitional stand-up V rod and Penn Mariner rod, The blue water Carnage rod was the best rod to battle 100# ahi's on! Super strong to boost and turn heads but flexible enough to absorb the strong pulses from an ahi. Both ahi's caught with the Carnage rod felt alot easier to boost and battle fish on!
[/quote]

Do you run spinners with your carnage rods or conventionals?  Looks like they make carnage rods for spinners and conventional reels.  Seems like most run conventional reels.  Roy said that rocket and the rest of the penn team use/have the new penn spinfisher V reels, so far he said none of the reels have come back to him since they started selling em. 

Offline ImGonnaYak

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 11:01:16 AM »
My 8500 should be waiting for me at the post office today.  Pairing it with an Ugly Stik Tiger Lite 80-130# jigging rod and 65# braid.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:04:43 PM by ImGonnaYak »

Offline reefhuntahz

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 09:25:45 PM »
Any updated reviews on the 10500 reel?  Was really looking to buy one and pair it with the carnage rod. What is a good size braided line to use? Cheapest place on Oahu to buyem?

Offline Ryōshi

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 03:02:50 AM »
I'm going to bump this as I have been interested in th 10500 for a while now.
A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

north shore shark adventures

Offline Ahinahina

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »
1st season report: Not sure? ::)   lol   Only got out on the water a hand full of times last season and was not able to get into any fish that could really test the reel. The reels are very strong and smooth so far. Pulled in a 2-3# papio like a 1000# winch pulling an rc car. They feel extremely sturdy like the older spinfisher models and the blue carnage rods are beast. I promise to get into some good ones this season and get a more thorough review for you guys.
Bumbai

Offline uplandhawaii

• BentFrame4X4.com
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »
I've had the penn 10500 for several months now.  Haven't used it on the kayak but I have fished it weekly from shore.  Its sealed but not 100% water proof.  It'll lock down and pull up fish up cliffs with no problem.  I'm running it with straight 50# mono, holds about 250 yards.

Biggest ulua I've caught on it so far has been 20#, pulled up a 30' cliff, reel was smooth and felt solid cranking it.  The retrieve is around 40" per crank, drag is pretty smooth and uses the ht100's, no complaints on it. 
The reel is built like a tank, my goal is to land a 50+ ulua on it. The black paint on mine came off pretty easy near the reel seat, no corrosion so far but I rinse after every use and spray it with an anti corrosion spray.   
Prices are pretty reasonable now, I got one off of Amazon for $156 shipped and recently another locally for $160.  I think on the kayak this reel could replace most of my level winds.
HOW much is that to ship to Hawaii!!!???

Offline Ryōshi

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 11:35:54 PM »
Well after reading that I'll have one and a heavy casting pole.

Offline Ryōshi

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 05:30:50 PM »
I'm picking one up probably around May time frame saving up for a new outback for 2015 will be fishing ready. Will have probably 2 of these bad boys St on some heavy casting rods. Huntin the big fish then.

Offline uplandhawaii

• BentFrame4X4.com
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 08:41:02 PM »
I don't think you'll be disappointed by them, other than the paint issue these are worth it.
HOW much is that to ship to Hawaii!!!???

Offline Thaiger

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 10:40:26 PM »
I got 10500 pair it with penn standup rod. Didn't take any bite yet, but seem to be very smooth and strong. Hopefully will catch something soon  :)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 12:53:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

lil' uku