Author Topic: Anyone fish with a custom blank?  (Read 2521 times)

Offline brother_c

Anyone fish with a custom blank?
« on: January 27, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »
Wanted to know if anyone has used a custom blank fishing for pelagics.  Looking around on acidrod.com and wanted to build a rod for myself and my sister.  Any opinions on blanks that are available online/mail order?

Offline changalang

Re: Anyone fish with a custom blank?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 09:50:06 PM »
B-C,
All my blue water rods are custom made. Look into Rainshadow Batson blanks. I do believe acid rod sells them or you can get them on Oahu from 5 oceans 7 seas. They are very affordable in the $40-60 range. I've wasted countless amounts of money trying to find the perfect kayak rod when in fact no one makes one. I use the rainshadow jig/boat blanks in the heavy & extra heavy models built with a 8" short slick butt(also available @ acid rod). Good luck

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 07:59:50 AM »
3 of our rods are custom rods made with the same blank (Rainshadow) that changalang uses.  We got ours through Roy's Fishing Supply. The only thing is Hoala destroyed one Rainshadow while BOOSTING a fish a couple of years ago...and it was a brand new rod.  I guess anything will break if you put enough pressure on it.  :o

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline changalang

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »
I also had Rainshadow customs made from Roy's back when Danford was there which i had set up for spinners. I wanted to run conventionals so I sold them. This link shows the exact same blank I use now except I had mine wrapped for a conventional. I was sold after reading and seeing this. Rainshadow is supposed to be a affordable version of Calstar's Grafighter line

Spinning Rod Bluefin Tuna

http://rainshadowfishing.com/showthread.php?t=927

Offline brother_c

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 08:36:04 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I was checking out the Challenger lines from United Composites because of the smaller butt and tip dia.  What model of the Rainshadow do you guys use?

Offline localfishingknowledge

• www.localfishingknowledge.com
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:40:01 PM »
I have used alot of different brands when it comes to spinning or deep blues stand up our trolling.  I still have 3 Calstars one with rollers which doesn't get used. Being sponsored by PENN and PUREFISHING, I have been sold on the BLUE WATER CARNAGE. You can get them with or without the AFTCO rollers. What makes them stand out is its weight plus strength. Unlike the other rods such as Shakespeare, it is less than half its weight. I have fought a 15' Tiger Shark and it held strong. Because if its weight, the long battle was bearabl. It was ans still is paired with the #60 PENN SQUALL.  I have no doubt that it would do well against 100+ lbs tunas or 350+ lbs Marlins. Strapped with Berkley Tracer Braid, you'll have more than enough line.

Jon Jon aka Local Fishing Knowledge

TEAM PENN HAWAII
Sponsored by PENN
www.pennreels.com
TEAM PENN HAWAII2013

Offline changalang

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 03:03:51 PM »
Rainshadow RCJB84H & RCJB84XH

Offline brother_c

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 09:18:59 PM »
Mahalo again sorry for the late reply guys.  Just got two important things to get this project going-some beautiful koa stock that was worth waiting a few months for and the money from the tax man.  Will be using the koa as an accent on the handle and for a new gaff and kage.  Ordered a grafighter 6' 30-80,fujis, and alps alum seat.  Going to build the wrapper tomorrow.  Here's a pic of the koa:

Offline 619-SWIM-DOG

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 06:28:08 AM »
Looking good, can't wait to see the finished products..

Offline HG

• Ultra Member
    • Pau Spam, LLC
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 04:06:39 PM »
just catching up to this.  haha yep, broke two of those rods boosting.  using Shimano rods now, the lifetime warranty is nice.

3 of our rods are custom rods made with the same blank (Rainshadow) that changalang uses.  We got ours through Roy's Fishing Supply. The only thing is Hoala destroyed one Rainshadow while BOOSTING a fish a couple of years ago...and it was a brand new rod.  I guess anything will break if you put enough pressure on it.  :o

Offline brother_c

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »
Finished the rod in September, forgot about this one.  Ended up with a Calstar Grafighter Light Tuna 30-80#.  Nice rod finally got one on it on Thanksgiving day a cnr mini-mahi so still need to see how it handles a decent sized fish.  Rod building is definitely time intensive this one took about 45 hrs but thats a lot of guide wrap do overs because of never actually doing any type of work this involved.  Looking forward to a spinner that will be a solid 30# rig to go with this I have set up with 50#.

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »
Interesting.
 Nice craftsmanship!

Offline PACMAN

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 06:22:33 PM »
Cherry rod bu!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2017, 05:46:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

papio