Author Topic: Valuable VHF Info  (Read 2345 times)

Offline backdraft808

• "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
Valuable VHF Info
« on: May 31, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »
While searching for a replacement VHF radio online, I came across a well written and thorough article concerning VHF radio use and thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/102-current-issue-featured-articles-on-kayak-fishing/1722-vhfradiouse.html

Offline pakaak

Re: Valuable VHF Info
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 12:58:48 AM »
Good info, thanks!!!!

Offline ahi-hunter

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 08:01:46 PM »
Thanks for the info. What model you looking at??? I'm looking for one too. Right now I'm leaning toward the Cobra 350 floating model.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:05:35 PM by ahi-hunter »

Offline backdraft808

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 09:35:11 PM »
Sorry for the late reply Ahi.  I ended up going with the Uniden MHS126 Floating from Amazon.  It came out to about $120 but came with a bunch of extras like an akaline battery pack, multiple charges, etc. along with a very good waterproof rating (JIS8/IPX8).  I havent received it yet but it should be coming in soon.

Offline mauiyak

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 07:45:51 AM »
Backdraft: thanks for the great VHFinfo. I also have a Uniden MHS 126, which I like very much, although I needed a replacement under warranty of my original radio. Since it was waterproof, I didn't hold back on rinsing it in freshwater after each outing and after about three months it stopped working. Uniden was great about the warranty replacement (and it was nice to have the Amazon records for purchase history and a receipt). After that happened, I bought a waterproof flexible plastic case and now I keep it dry in that. I'm not sure if what happened to my original radio is typical.

Offline Ahinahina

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »
Backdraft: thanks for the great VHFinfo. I also have a Uniden MHS 126, which I like very much, although I needed a replacement under warranty of my original radio. Since it was waterproof, I didn't hold back on rinsing it in freshwater after each outing and after about three months it stopped working. Uniden was great about the warranty replacement (and it was nice to have the Amazon records for purchase history and a receipt). After that happened, I bought a waterproof flexible plastic case and now I keep it dry in that. I'm not sure if what happened to my original radio is typical.

same thing happened to my uniden, was a good unit till it jus stopped working all together, well see how long the next one lasts
Bumbai

Offline yelloman

• Ultra Member
  • reel nice!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 05:44:40 PM »

same thing happened to my uniden, was a good unit till it jus stopped working all together, well see how long the next one lasts

it 'll be good until it stops working too  ;)

Offline backdraft808

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 07:23:32 PM »
So far so good going without a case but will go with your advice on the waterproof bag.  I would hate to find out the hard way.

Offline RTOMAS808

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 12:30:05 AM »
Walmart.com Cobra MR HH500 FLT rollback price $118 😊

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2017, 07:28:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

CNR Ulua