Author Topic: Rudder  (Read 2472 times)

Offline fishing24/7

Rudder
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:24:21 PM »
Hey AH's

Got a question. I have a trident prowler and it seems like the screws are in place for a rudder but haven't purchased one. I wanted to know from those who use them if they are worth it (money/maneuverability). If so, best place to purchase them. Please....

This is my first post so please go easy on me...

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
    • Writs of a Drifting Son
Re: Rudder
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:29:55 PM »
If it's the Trident 15, it's well worth it if you're fishing in wind.  The 13 may not need a rudder as much. 

Offline Cocacola_cowboy

• blessed to live in hawaii na
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:01:24 PM »
My 13 has one in the wind and waves makes a big difrence
salt water heals all.
the mind the heart and the soul

Offline BEAST

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 05:08:10 PM »
Hey AH's

Got a question. I have a trident prowler and it seems like the screws are in place for a rudder but haven't purchased one. I wanted to know from those who use them if they are worth it (money/maneuverability). If so, best place to purchase them. Please....

This is my first post so please go easy on me...

Get a rudder from MM. It makes a big difference.
Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty, and persistence.

-Colin Powell

Offline Tofu

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 07:22:33 AM »
Run a quick search for Rudders, or scan rigging for Rudders.  MM = Metalman.  Search Hawaiian Metal Art of FB and you'll find him too.  A lot of the AH guys have pics up with custom rudders from MM.  Big game, Big Blue seems to be "easier" with a rudder. "easier" cause Nothing replaces skills and knowledge, but it helps.

Offline Kau grown

• Ultra Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 01:50:21 PM »
Run a quick search for Rudders, or scan rigging for Rudders.  MM = Metalman.  Search Hawaiian Metal Art of FB and you'll find him too.  A lot of the AH guys have pics up with custom rudders from MM.  Big game, Big Blue seems to be "easier" with a rudder. "easier" cause Nothing replaces skills and knowledge, but it helps.

X2

Offline ahi-hunter

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 02:36:15 PM »
The rudder kit is overpriced but it is a worthy investment. As others have said a bigger rudder than the puny stock one will make a big difference.

Metal Man has a posting at the top of the for sale section that has some pics and many postings form satisfied customers.

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 03:38:32 PM »
X2 on the MM rudder.
 I used to think my stock rudder from my trident 15 was nice.. until i put a MM rudder on and now i can track a strait line in the worst conditions.

Offline Cocacola_cowboy

• blessed to live in hawaii na
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 03:41:59 PM »
Yup MM x3 he made mine too big difference on performance
salt water heals all.
the mind the heart and the soul

Offline Kau grown

• Ultra Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 10:40:51 PM »
I would defiantly put a rudder on any kayak I would fish on! It's  great to track straight, turn on a dime, help out with big surf and compensate for those windy days. One of the main reasons I need a rudder is to help fight larger fish! If a fish turns quickly, I can use my rudder to steer me in the same direction. It's also a big help on any fish that loves to do big circles under your yak before it comes up! I always like to fight all fish with my line towards my bow! It gives me way more boosting power and leverage compared to fighting a fish sideways or backwards! A factory rudder blade helps out but it can't compare to MM custom rudder's!!! You'll NEVER see a stock rudder blade on any of my yaks! MAHALO MM!!!

Offline fishing24/7

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
AH's

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'll be getting one when I can. I might get lucky and find a set-up cheaper with out the rudder paddle and order one from MM. Either way I will contact MM when I have the coin.

Offline malama808state

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 09:30:28 AM »
I dont have a rudder on my tarpon 120 but i know one can be attached. Ive reaearched rudder kits and there a heft 450$ not including shipping and/or instalation. Does anyone know a general common price that metalman asks?

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 07:00:31 AM »
I dont have a rudder on my tarpon 120 but i know one can be attached. Ive reaearched rudder kits and there a heft 450$ not including shipping and/or instalation. Does anyone know a general common price that metalman asks?

MM doesn't make the rudder system. He makes (AWESOME) replacement blades that fit into them. Link to his thread http://forum.aquahunters.com/index.php/topic,5986.0.html

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
    • http://www.hawaiianmetalworks.com
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 10:51:42 AM »
Jason, that is CRAZY!! I've seen the whole system on Amazon and eBay before for $300. Look around enough and find one with free shipping.
$450, you can get the whole system AND my rudder, and STILL get change  ;D ;D ;D !!
MM
Check out my Facebook page: "Hawaiian Metal Art" for Custom Rudders, Gaffs, Kage's or anything that you want done with metal, aluminum or stainless steel,  pm me ;) !!

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »
If my rudder is broke I won't fish. It's that important to me.

Offline malama808state

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 08:05:43 PM »
wow thanks for the advice. Ive looked over the installation instructions for a rudder on my tarpon and it seems to be quite a hassle...i wonder if go bananas could professionally install a rudder if i provide them the kit? and i only paid 400$ for my yak in the first place so not sure if im willing to spend 300$ for just a rudder i may just sell my yak and get one that already has a rudder and sizeable center fish hatch inbetween the legs.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2017, 07:36:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Our biggest fish to date, 42.2lb ulua...

Posted by on 13 Sep 2009

in
Good times...

That bugga dwarfed the uku...and it was over 8lbs! I think the ulua could have ate him if he wanted...

1 comment(s)
anything