Author Topic: Rudder  (Read 2423 times)

Offline fishing24/7

Rudder
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:24:21 PM »
Hey AH's

Got a question. I have a trident prowler and it seems like the screws are in place for a rudder but haven't purchased one. I wanted to know from those who use them if they are worth it (money/maneuverability). If so, best place to purchase them. Please....

This is my first post so please go easy on me...

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
    • Writs of a Drifting Son
Re: Rudder
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:29:55 PM »
If it's the Trident 15, it's well worth it if you're fishing in wind.  The 13 may not need a rudder as much. 

Offline Cocacola_cowboy

• blessed to live in hawaii na
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:01:24 PM »
My 13 has one in the wind and waves makes a big difrence
salt water heals all.
the mind the heart and the soul

Offline BEAST

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 05:08:10 PM »
Hey AH's

Got a question. I have a trident prowler and it seems like the screws are in place for a rudder but haven't purchased one. I wanted to know from those who use them if they are worth it (money/maneuverability). If so, best place to purchase them. Please....

This is my first post so please go easy on me...

Get a rudder from MM. It makes a big difference.
Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty, and persistence.

-Colin Powell

Offline Tofu

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 07:22:33 AM »
Run a quick search for Rudders, or scan rigging for Rudders.  MM = Metalman.  Search Hawaiian Metal Art of FB and you'll find him too.  A lot of the AH guys have pics up with custom rudders from MM.  Big game, Big Blue seems to be "easier" with a rudder. "easier" cause Nothing replaces skills and knowledge, but it helps.

Offline Kau grown

• Ultra Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 01:50:21 PM »
Run a quick search for Rudders, or scan rigging for Rudders.  MM = Metalman.  Search Hawaiian Metal Art of FB and you'll find him too.  A lot of the AH guys have pics up with custom rudders from MM.  Big game, Big Blue seems to be "easier" with a rudder. "easier" cause Nothing replaces skills and knowledge, but it helps.

X2

Offline ahi-hunter

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 02:36:15 PM »
The rudder kit is overpriced but it is a worthy investment. As others have said a bigger rudder than the puny stock one will make a big difference.

Metal Man has a posting at the top of the for sale section that has some pics and many postings form satisfied customers.

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 03:38:32 PM »
X2 on the MM rudder.
 I used to think my stock rudder from my trident 15 was nice.. until i put a MM rudder on and now i can track a strait line in the worst conditions.

Offline Cocacola_cowboy

• blessed to live in hawaii na
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 03:41:59 PM »
Yup MM x3 he made mine too big difference on performance
salt water heals all.
the mind the heart and the soul

Offline Kau grown

• Ultra Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 10:40:51 PM »
I would defiantly put a rudder on any kayak I would fish on! It's  great to track straight, turn on a dime, help out with big surf and compensate for those windy days. One of the main reasons I need a rudder is to help fight larger fish! If a fish turns quickly, I can use my rudder to steer me in the same direction. It's also a big help on any fish that loves to do big circles under your yak before it comes up! I always like to fight all fish with my line towards my bow! It gives me way more boosting power and leverage compared to fighting a fish sideways or backwards! A factory rudder blade helps out but it can't compare to MM custom rudder's!!! You'll NEVER see a stock rudder blade on any of my yaks! MAHALO MM!!!

Offline fishing24/7

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
AH's

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'll be getting one when I can. I might get lucky and find a set-up cheaper with out the rudder paddle and order one from MM. Either way I will contact MM when I have the coin.

Offline malama808state

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 09:30:28 AM »
I dont have a rudder on my tarpon 120 but i know one can be attached. Ive reaearched rudder kits and there a heft 450$ not including shipping and/or instalation. Does anyone know a general common price that metalman asks?

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 07:00:31 AM »
I dont have a rudder on my tarpon 120 but i know one can be attached. Ive reaearched rudder kits and there a heft 450$ not including shipping and/or instalation. Does anyone know a general common price that metalman asks?

MM doesn't make the rudder system. He makes (AWESOME) replacement blades that fit into them. Link to his thread http://forum.aquahunters.com/index.php/topic,5986.0.html

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
    • http://www.hawaiianmetalworks.com
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 10:51:42 AM »
Jason, that is CRAZY!! I've seen the whole system on Amazon and eBay before for $300. Look around enough and find one with free shipping.
$450, you can get the whole system AND my rudder, and STILL get change  ;D ;D ;D !!
MM
Check out my Facebook page: "Hawaiian Metal Art" for Custom Rudders, Gaffs, Kage's or anything that you want done with metal, aluminum or stainless steel,  pm me ;) !!

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »
If my rudder is broke I won't fish. It's that important to me.

Offline malama808state

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 08:05:43 PM »
wow thanks for the advice. Ive looked over the installation instructions for a rudder on my tarpon and it seems to be quite a hassle...i wonder if go bananas could professionally install a rudder if i provide them the kit? and i only paid 400$ for my yak in the first place so not sure if im willing to spend 300$ for just a rudder i may just sell my yak and get one that already has a rudder and sizeable center fish hatch inbetween the legs.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2017, 07:30:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

early morning Maliko