Author Topic: Daiwa Sealine-XSHA 50  (Read 2119 times)

Offline backdraft808

• "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
Daiwa Sealine-XSHA 50
« on: July 13, 2013, 09:04:43 AM »
  FYI, I picked up a Daiwa Sealine-XSHA 50 from Roy's for $105 (their walk-in special price).  These reels normally retail for $132 to $139 locally with a slight price drop online.  The reel was highly recommended by my friend Keith who is an avid slide bait and baitcaster and several fishing stores including POP and Brians Fishing Supply.

Initial review after using it for one day:
- Very smooth drag
- Loud clicker.  The fish strike sounded unreal!! Guaranteed to hear it over wind and wave noise.
- Light weight.  The reel is so light (compared to my metal frame reels) that it felt like a toy.
- I was able to load 400ft of #80 PowerPro.
- The star drag "clicks" into place when increased or decreased allowing for easy and accurate adjustment.
- The reel seems solidly built but needs testing on big fish.
- Price! At $105, one solid year of fishing would be worth it.

Conclusion:
  I was actually looking for a new reel after having a BIG fish push my Penn 850SS past its limits (teflon washer warped, the handles stainless screw snapped) and was looking at the Fin Nor 9500, Penn Spinfisher V 9500, or the new Okuma conventional.  I'm sure this reel will never match the durability or performance of the significantly more expensive or metal framed conventionals but for the budget conscious weekend warriors, this may be a good start. 
  I was very lucky to catch my first fish on the reels first day out and noticed a significant performance upgrade from any of the reels I've used in the past.  The next day, I went back to Roy's and bought one more! (NO TELL THE WIFE)  Aloha, and hope this helps someone.

"How to break your reel" YouTube Vid: 
Kayak Fishing - Big Fish lost

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
Re: Daiwa Sealine-XSHA 50
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 09:16:19 AM »
Crazy video...bummer couldn't see what it was.  Get um next time with the new reel!  We borrowed a friend's Sealine...Nice reel, but we had to return it. Let us know how it holds up after a year or so.

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline backdraft808

• "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 01:05:35 PM »
I was actually about to buy the Fin-Nor, especially after seeing all the fish you guys caught with yours, and reading your reviews.  Unreal!!  I also read you guys finally retired it after 4 1/2 yrs.  Thats pretty amazing.  I have a feeling I will be overhauling these reels pretty often to make them last but fortunately, Roys has the parts and know how.  As far as the lost fish goes, it haunts me to this day, but gets me out of bed at 4:00 am to hit the water.

Offline Cocacola_cowboy

• blessed to live in hawaii na
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:41:39 PM »
Nice vid must have been a rush
salt water heals all.
the mind the heart and the soul

Offline wetokole

• Ultra Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 11:12:03 PM »
I just bought one few weeks ago mainly for opelu and bottom fish..A change up from using spinners...I put it on an 6'6" Ugly stik Tiger lite 50/100# class pole wit 65# pp which still can be used as back up just in case my main gun gives out...I first used it for bottom fish...Nabetas got no chance..  ;D ;D ;D    I like sofar...

Offline Rooster

• Jackson Kayak
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 11:26:05 PM »
  FYI, I picked up a Daiwa Sealine-XSHA 50 from Roy's for $105 (their walk-in special price).  These reels normally retail for $132 to $139 locally with a slight price drop online.  The reel was highly recommended by my friend Keith who is an avid slide bait and baitcaster and several fishing stores including POP and Brians Fishing Supply.

- I was able to load 400ft of #80 PowerPro.

"How to break your reel" YouTube Vid:  Kayak Fishing - Big Fish lost

was this really 400ft? seems like it should be yards, because i pack 500+yards on my reels of similar sizes

Offline mongoose

• Ultra Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 10:57:46 PM »
Awesome reel.  My favorite reel.  So light.  Wish they had a lever drag version just as light.  Danford at Roys recommended it 3 yrs years ago I took his advice and have had no problems.  For all the bashing and water our reels take it is a good value.  They keep going.  Have two myself. 

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 10:42:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

banner