Author Topic: Fish poisoning  (Read 3486 times)

Offline alfisha

Fish poisoning
« on: July 24, 2013, 07:14:37 AM »
I came across this guide to safely consume seafood in Hawaii. I am still concerned about ciguatera. Any thoughts? Testing?
Earth-2/3 water me-2/3 water.

Offline Ahnko Chee

• Ultra Member
  • Makule Akule
Re: Fish poisoning
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 10:34:28 AM »
Pelagics don't get ciguatera but can get Scombroid poisoning though very rare.  Just make sure you bleed and ice your pelagics right away if possible. 
Ciguatera is found in reef dwellers like ulua, roi, uku, kaku, etc. and is cumulative  so bigger the fish the more chance the fish has built up ciguatoxin levels.  Also it builds up in humans so the more reef fish you eat the toxins build up in you until that last fish that "breaks the camels back" and you get hit with the symptoms.   You rarely hear of mainland tourists getting ciguatera because they rarely if ever eat reef fish so no build up.
Also certain fish like Roi and Wahanui have a higher incidence of ciguatera because they feed exclusively on smaller reef fish so they build up ciguatoxins much quicker than larger predators.  Also certain locations have a higher incidence of ciguatera.   Ciguatera originates in a species of algae which works it's way up the food chain.   This algae seems to grow in calmer waters especially these waters with nearby farm of golf course runoffs of fertilizers.  Calm leeward waters, and protected bays like Kaneohe Bay have higher incidence of ciguatera.   Rougher windward waters of lower incidence of ciguatera as a rule due to lower growth of offending algae though toxic fish do migrate thus the exception to the rule.  Too bad there are no cheap effective tests for ciguatera.  In French Polynesia where the Roi originates they don't get ciguatoxic and are considered a delicacy.   I would love to eat a cig safe Roi.
Hallucinogenic poisoning you get from eating certain species of fish like Obake Weke that have hallucinogenic compounds especially in the brain.  Terrible nightmares eating this buggah.

Obaka Weke
I ike lakou, o oe, ka mea wale no nona ka inoa, o Iehova; O oe no ka Mea kiekie loa maluna o ka honua a pau. HALELU 83:18

Offline Ahnko Chee

• Ultra Member
  • Makule Akule
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 10:49:28 AM »
One other type of poisoning to be aware of comes from eating the local Marquesan Sardines (Sandinella marquesensis) which contain cluepeotoxin.  Eating sardines can be fatal, don't eat fresh local caught sardines! (they make great bait though).  ;)

I ike lakou, o oe, ka mea wale no nona ka inoa, o Iehova; O oe no ka Mea kiekie loa maluna o ka honua a pau. HALELU 83:18

Offline 9th

• Hanapa'a
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »
One other type of poisoning to be aware of comes from eating the local Marquesan Sardines (Sandinella marquesensis) which contain cluepeotoxin.  Eating sardines can be fatal, don't eat fresh local caught sardines! (they make great bait though).  ;)

Oh man!!! Thanks for the heads up!

I have eaten some of those... They were good too! :(

I'll stop that habit as of right now! :o
Oh, God, Thy sea is so great,and my kayak is so small...

Offline alfisha

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 07:07:58 AM »
Thanks for the response. It is risky eating chicken or beef that comes from who knows where feed lot on the mainland.  Take the risk and enjoy fresh fish?  Has any AH got poisoned by ciguatoxin?  I have been fishing around Haleiwa this summer is this area known for Ciguatera?  The river coming from lake Wilson can't be clean. 

Offline Ahnko Chee

• Ultra Member
  • Makule Akule
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 07:24:08 AM »

Oh man!!! Thanks for the heads up!

I have eaten some of those... They were good too! :(

I'll stop that habit as of right now! :o

I know, hard because sardines are SO ono.  I believe the most recent sardine death occurred on Kaua'i.  Like playing Russian roulette using a small tasty fish.   :o

Offline Cocacola_cowboy

• blessed to live in hawaii na
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 08:21:01 PM »
I got Ciguatera about 15 years ago when I used to dive all the time
My father inlaw his farorite fish was roi to make sabou sorry for spelling
But it was the best fish soup I ever had next day hospital after that won't eat too many species of fish that was the worst week I remember thought I was going to die would not wish that on any one
salt water heals all.
the mind the heart and the soul

Offline Ahnko Chee

• Ultra Member
  • Makule Akule
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 08:51:03 AM »
My father-in-law got cig after eating a moana he caught in Waianae, wiped him out for for a couple weeks but he still had symptoms for a year. 

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 09:49:38 AM »
I got cig from eating Roi...I know...stupid to eat Roi, but the fish is delicious Chinese style!  Thought I was dying for 3 months. :'( But I'm better now, so it's all good. :D :D

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline Ahnko Chee

• Ultra Member
  • Makule Akule
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »

Offline alfisha

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »
Scary stuff. OK I got it never eat Roy. I think I am going to focus on pelagic fish. That holds its own danger though. Dangerous sport in the water and on the plate.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 01:08:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

AHA needle fish