Author Topic: Dark Launch and Land  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Uyeda Brothers

• Global Moderator
  • Ultra Member
  • Enjoy The Day!
    • Uyeda Brothers
Dark Launch and Land
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:02:28 AM »
Our boater friend said that he and his buddies are encountering kayak fishermen who are launching early and landing late (in the dark) with only head lights on.  He said it's VERY DIFFICULT to see even if you're facing boaters and wearing the new bright head lamps that are on the market now.  He's personally had close calls in the morning and evening.  He suggested in investing in the red/green running lights, the blinking strobe that you can clip to one of your rod tips, or one of those bright waterproof dive lights that you can aim straight at boats that are coming your way.  Contrary to popular belief, they don't want to run any kayakers over and we sure don't want any of our AH people getting hurt or killed.  BE SAFE!

Tandem Kayak Fishing - Double The Fun!

Offline leapingbare

Re: Dark Launch and Land
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:13:51 AM »
X2
 I had a close call one dark morning last year, It was my fault not having light.
Sense then i use a strobe, red head light and i got one of those kayak running  lights from Hook1.

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
    • http://www.hawaiianmetalworks.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »
Kev, GREAT post! Thanks for the heads up to you guys that leave that early (NOT me ;) ).
LB, I've seen your setup! Looks like Waikiki at night  ;D ;D ;D!!!!!!!!
Check out my Facebook page: "Hawaiian Metal Art" for Custom Rudders, Gaffs, Kage's or anything that you want done with metal, aluminum or stainless steel,  pm me ;) !!

Offline 9th

• Hanapa'a
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 09:49:47 AM »
Good advise!

I live country, so it's usually very quiet... But, I do carry with me plenty light.

Oh, God, Thy sea is so great,and my kayak is so small...

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
    • Writs of a Drifting Son
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 05:43:37 PM »
Good topic- no craft of any kind should be on the water without the prescribed running lights.  I think you could get a decent fine if you get caught/turned in.  If you are launching at a remote spot, maybe not a big deal, but if you are any where near public boat ramps, you should have them. 

Try these. 

Offline 9th

• Hanapa'a
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
From U.S.C.G. Rule 25:

A kayak or canoe under 7 meters (23 feet) is classified as a "vessel under oars"

A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.

Offline 9th

• Hanapa'a
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 06:06:20 PM »
Good topic- no craft of any kind should be on the water without the prescribed running lights.  I think you could get a decent fine if you get caught/turned in.  If you are launching at a remote spot, maybe not a big deal, but if you are any where near public boat ramps, you should have them. 

Try these.

Those Tech Tite lamps are cherry... But $$$ for my broke SNUFFLEUPAGUS! 8)

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
    • Writs of a Drifting Son
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »

Those Tech Tite lamps are cherry... But $$$ for my broke SNUFFLEUPAGUS! 8)

Me too.  I'd probably try to fab my own LED lights.

Offline Cocacola_cowboy

• blessed to live in hawaii na
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 06:52:49 PM »
I do a lot of night fishing on my yak and do have a head lamp and a 360 bright white light mounted on a pole 5 feet above my yak and i cary a uk c8 too but have still had realy close encounters with the dive boats
Most of them are so busy talking to the clients that they realy are not watching where they are going even if they are runing their radar it only picks us up when we are above the trough on the tob of each swell that dont give much warning to the captain and at night its even worse most of them are traveling at high rate of speed and have very little reaction time when they see us
I am sure they dont want to run us over but we need to do our part and watch for them too they are biger and can move out of our way easer then us out of their way
I do agree that shining a dive light directaly at them is a good idea if they are watching had a realy close call a few months ago whena double haul dive cat turned at the last minute to miss me and almost ran aground
I dont want to see any one get hurt but i dont want to be run over either thnx to the Ubs for brining this topic up
salt water heals all.
the mind the heart and the soul

Offline Givum

• http://jacksonkayak.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 07:30:48 PM »
Yup, I'm one of those that time to time run in the dark with the head lamp.  I knew I needed a brighter light like my dive light but it's one of those things, if it's not a hook or line I would get it later....bad idea.  Good subject to bring up and I will do my part to keep the Aquahunter name clean.  Much Mahalo!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2017, 07:25:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Ono