Author Topic: paddle suggestions  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Ryōshi

paddle suggestions
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:23:04 PM »
Ok I know I have a hobie peddle drive but I need a better paddle then the ones that come with them stock. My drive had a slight mishap sunday and had to paddle back to shore. Not fun with the wind and even less fun with a heavy paddle that the blades on seem to flimsy. I like paddling and will own a paddle yak some day soon but before then I would like an efficient paddle for times I a. Choose to paddle or b. Have no choice but to paddle. Any suggestions would be great!
A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

north shore shark adventures

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
    • Writs of a Drifting Son
Re: paddle suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 07:34:53 PM »
Naturally, I would recommend Werner's 'Hooked' series.  The Shuna is the high angle blade, and the Camano is the low angle.  It feels like a feather.

Offline ahi-hunter

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »
Hey Shawn, can you tell us the difference between a high and low angle blade? I did not know there were different blade angles. I do know that the materials the paddle is made of makes a HUGE difference! My newer fiberglass paddle is way better than my old aluminum!

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »
It refers to the angle of the shaft while paddling.  High angle is putting your left hand up around your upper chest or shoulder while your right hand dips the blade in the water on stroke.  Low angle had your left hand around your ribs or so.  It's part personal preference and partly related to how wide your boat is.  A narrow boat can use a low angle stroke, but a wide boat almost requires a high angle stroke, especially those with high-position seats.  A low angle blade is longer and narrower in shape than a high angle.

http://wernerpaddles.com/shop/kayak-paddles/kayak-fishing-paddles

Offline ahi-hunter

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 08:46:55 PM »
Thanks for the info. I guess I never thought about blade angle much. I use different angles when doing different things. Generally I use a low angle as it uses less energy and I can do it for longer periods of time. If I want to get somewhere fast or letting out lines I use a high angle but I spend more energy to do it. I can see how the blade shape will make a difference.

Offline Ryōshi

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:46:36 PM »
I have a revo and like to paddle so what would be better a low or high angle? I like a blade that would give me the best return with each stroke.
A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

north shore shark adventures

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 06:59:02 AM »
I have a revo and like to paddle so what would be better a low or high angle? I like a blade that would give me the best return with each stroke.

I would guess high angle.

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
    • http://www.hawaiianmetalworks.com
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 08:39:04 AM »
It refers to the angle of the shaft 

Ok...maybe I won't go there ;D ;D ;D
I'm in the same situation also. I want to get a better paddle form my Trident 15. Looked on youtube.com with not much help, Shawn's was better.
I know Werner paddles are $275 for the decent ones. I'll have to wait a few months for that :(
Aquahunters supports paddles from "Bending Branches" and LOTS of people hav Werners, I"m guessing because that's what Go Bananas pushes.
Oh well....thanks Shawn for your explanation :)
MM
Check out my Facebook page: "Hawaiian Metal Art" for Custom Rudders, Gaffs, Kage's or anything that you want done with metal, aluminum or stainless steel,  pm me ;) !!

Offline uplandhawaii

• BentFrame4X4.com
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 10:19:13 AM »
Good info, and since we're discussing paddles does anyone carry a back up paddle?  If you do what kind is it?  A regular double blade paddle or a collapsible oar style paddle?
I used to carry a single oar style, but when I actually tried to use it I found it hard to move my big game, so I ended up with a used Amigo in the hull.  I think its a whitewater paddle but it moves me easier than the single blade. 

I'm just curious to see if anybody has a back up paddle with them.
HOW much is that to ship to Hawaii!!!???

Offline metalman

• Ultra Member
    • http://www.hawaiianmetalworks.com
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 11:20:45 AM »
Personally, I carry a fold-down paddle/telescopic paddle. It's the one I copied the Uyeda Brothers. I think they complained about it, not 100%, but I find that it is a piece of cr@p. Don't oil it each and everytime, it gets frozen and takes a long time to work it out I see lot of people carry a regular 2-piece inside their hull...
Aloha,
MM
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 12:20:37 AM by metalman »
Check out my Facebook page: "Hawaiian Metal Art" for Custom Rudders, Gaffs, Kage's or anything that you want done with metal, aluminum or stainless steel,  pm me ;) !!

Offline uplandhawaii

• BentFrame4X4.com
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »
Yeah MM, I didn't like the fold down one I had, I just couldn't make head way fast enough.  Maybe on a 2 man might be better but on a single it was hard for me.
HOW much is that to ship to Hawaii!!!???

Offline ahi-hunter

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 09:08:51 PM »
I carry a backup paddle in the hull that wedges up in the scupper molding. Too many stories of lost paddles. I have also read to many stories of breaking a blade and having to row back canoe style.  For minimal weight it is great piece of mind knowing that there is a backup!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2017, 07:36:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Goat slayer