Author Topic: DriftingSon Makahiki 2015  (Read 6303 times)

Offline No Aku Birds

Re: DriftingSon Makahiki 2015
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2015, 09:02:19 AM »
Too bad Oahu no more any tournaments like that!   :(

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
    • Writs of a Drifting Son
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »
Quick report is 1 for 3 on shibis, after rubber hooking the first two I finally connected on a 25-ish pounder.  The cool thing was taking a friend out for his first kayak fishing trip ever, and his very first bite is a marlin!  Can you imagine?  He lost it after a minute but he was so stoked, and ended up with a 40 lb ono for the tournament.  Unreal, but he was loving it. 

Full report on both days after tomorrows weigh-in.

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2015, 10:17:21 PM »
Some pretty intense weather this weekend for the Pelagic Pursuit Tournament put on by P&P Kayaks in Kona.  Two days to fish anywhere on the island, and show up to weigh your fish on Sunday at 4pm.  But a lot of spots got shut down by the weather and so did a lot of anglers.  Oddly enough,  Hilo had some decent looking water in the mornings, so my friend and I decided to see what we could do there.  The afternoons were another story!

On Saturday we found one of my spots to be very active with a strong current, lots big fish marks, and bait biting like they were starving.  As I mentioned, I was guiding my friend out on his first kayak fishing experience ever, though he is an experienced boat fisherman and diver, so he was ahead of the curve compared to a lot of new guys.  He was in my old Jackson Cuda 14 with no fish finder, so he just followed me closely as we looked for bait and dropped his rig down when I said to.  We loaded up fairly quickly and began to paddle and drift around.  I lost two shibis right away, and in the meantime he had drifted away and I just figured he was messing with a tangle or something.  A little while later he come paddling up and says, "Well, I just lost a marlin."  That would explain where he went.  Had a nice couple of runs and some tail-walking, but his wire broke in mid tail-walk.  Not sure how big, but he estimates at least 7' long.  What a trip for a marlin to be your first kayak fishing strike.  Soon after he starts paddling away to troll again, and I say "Whoa- there's some big marks right under us..."  and then boom! I see a big ono smash his bait right in front of me.  He ended up with a 36 pounder that would nab hime third place in the offshore division.  By the time I get back to the spot, I finally connect with a 27 pound ahi, but then as the wind and swell picked up in the afternoon, that's all the action we had.

Today we went back to the same spot hoping for more action.  Right away, I noticed that things were just a little different.  Though the current was still strong, there weren't as many marks and bait was a little more finicky.   Missed out on some prime tide-time, when my friend realized his boat was taking on water and eventually got knocked in by a wave.  Spent a good while helping him get his drain plug tightened down and his hull bailed out, but as I was paddling away from him to get back to the spot I took a strike and landed a 14 pound ahi.  Then as I got back into the zone, I picked up a 13 lb kahala.  Was able to load up on bait and then go searching around a little, but ended up with this massive tangle with my bait rig and another line so I drifted off a ways messing with that, when suddenly my reel went screaming.  Tightened down on nice ono and somehow was able to get the tangled rod mess out of my lap with one hand to make way for the fish.  By the time I get the 38 pounder on board, the wind has wound up to 15 knots and we're getting big breakers coming in heavy.  Time to get get out!  Took a long hard paddle to get back against the current and we were wiped, but still had a two hour drive to get to the weigh-in. 

I thought my ono was smaller than my friend's from yesterday so I didn't expect much, but I held first place until the very end, until that crazy Mark Cuison kid showed up with a 40 lb ahi to take the lead!  Couldn't have lost to a better guy and I am just glad to break out of my 5th place curse for this tournament. 

Day 15
Shibi, 20 lbs:  40 pts

Day 15 Total:  40 pts

Day 16
Shibi, 14 lbs      20 pts
Ono, 38 lbs:      45 pts
Kahala: 13 lbs

Day 16 Total:  65 pts

Overall:  747 pts
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:19:59 AM by DriftingSon »

Offline Rooster

• Jackson Kayak
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2015, 08:03:08 AM »
Good job Shawn! Congrats on placing and some great fish in what sounded like some breezy conditions!

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2015, 04:19:15 PM »
Claiming Day 17 tomorrow, 4-26-15.

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »
Goddammut.  Struck out, and watched another guy hook and lose a marlin again today.  I just want one to eat my bait for a change.

Day 17
Kawalea CNR:  7

Overall:  754

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2015, 07:11:12 PM »
Claiming Day 18 tomorrow.

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2015, 06:38:19 PM »
Arggh!  I didn't claim my last day and I got two shibis, and I claim today and I get junk fish.  Can't win.  Tomorrow I have to choose between good grounds and 25 knot winds, or the same questionable grounds and 15 knots.  Either way, I'm not claiming, so I'll probably find fish. 

1.  Kawalea CNR:  7
2.  Aha:  10

Day 18 total:  17
Overall:  771

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2015, 09:05:57 PM »
Always seems to happen that way. Could always be worse. Garanz pound em next time.

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2015, 05:03:14 AM »
Looks like I lost a month of fishing- time to go get it back.  Claiming today.

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2015, 08:24:20 PM »
Looks like little has changed in that month.  Short morning, tough luck.

1.  Uku, 8lbs:  9 pts

Day 19:  9 pts
Overall Total:  780

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2015, 08:04:44 PM »
Hiatus pau, claiming tomorrow. 

Offline Rooster

• Jackson Kayak
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2015, 08:08:39 PM »
There he is! Go get some bro! Hope your reels sing all day :)

Offline DriftingSon

• Ultra Member
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2015, 09:38:33 PM »
The day got cut short by a broken rudder cable and the arrival of The Wind about noonish, but I made the best of it early on.  Opelu had lockjaw, but was able to throw out some other snacks with good success, first tricking a kamanu, then followed by the ugliest fish ever, and a nice shibi.  Was pure hell paddling in through a stiff crosswind with no rudder.

Day 20

1.  Kamanu, 4lbs:  5 pts
2.  Shibi, 27 lbs:   40 pts
3.  10 lbs of Ugly:  0 pts

Total:  45 pts
Overall:  825 pts

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 06:25:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Heading into the Sunset