Author Topic: Waimeakauai Makahiki Thread #1  (Read 6014 times)

Offline Tofu

Re: Waimeakauai Makahiki Thread #1
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 09:31:51 AM »
Thats good by me.  only so much time to make measurements when releasing big fish. 

Offline Thaiger

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »
Yes I had to release my Ulua pretty fast didn't want it to die. Nice one.

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 07:37:29 PM »
Day 6 Text Claimed to Rocket.

Launched early, found bait pretty easy. Got rubber hooked a couple times. Had to go follow Yoko_Ono on an adventure for a couple hours while he was dealing with some mayhem.

Finally got back to the area that I wanted to work. Catch a couple more baits then bam, 6 strikes in about a 15 minute period. First 2 I get rubber hooked and mangled baits. Next one had it on for a bit then the hook pulled. Pretty upset, because its after 12 and the wind is starting to kick in. All of a sudden I take a strike then slack. Reel it up as fast and all I feel is dead weight like a shark. I am definitely frowning at this point then all of a sudden I get head shakes on the pole. Im thinking uku. Turns out to be my biggest one to date at 21 pounds. Bag it throw out another opelu 10 seconds later another uku 10 pounds. Repeat once more and I get another uku about 6 pounds. Let em go so da buggah can grow. Gears in the reel starting to make funky sounds so I decide to call it a day before I break something that I can't fix.

Uku 21lbs = 40
Uku 10lbs = 20
Day 6 total 60.

Current total 130 + 60 = 190pts
Tofu pm me your number and I will text you weight video.
Edit:Texted video to Rocket.  But tofu still pm if can.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:04:56 AM by Waimeakauai »

Offline Thaiger

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 08:41:39 PM »
Nice fat Ukus.

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 06:12:05 AM »
Claiming day 7 today.

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2015, 05:27:45 PM »
Caught cracks from the wind today. Checked my spot yesterday, trades were not reaching thought it was gonna be a nice one today. Changed direction overnight and I got blasted from around 7:30. Made bait pretty quick and head out to the deep, only to turn around after about 20 minutes. Decided I wasn't going home pointless so I went to some areas that usually produce uluas and no dice either. Started looking for moanas, but every time I dropped to the bottom I get a damashi full of taape. After a couple drops, I'm like what the hell go for the 10 taape already and I did. Gotta do what you gotta do. 5 hours of white caps rolling over my yak was enough. Oh yeah and on the way in I realize my bait tube cap was off and my half dozen opelus left me. At least I still get fried fish.

Day 7
10 taape = 10points
cnr opelu = 2 points
Day 7 Total = 12 points
Current Total 202 points

Offline Thaiger

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2015, 06:38:31 PM »
The wind been blowing pretty bad lately. Suck with the bait tube. Happen to me one time I was so pissed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:00:37 PM by Thaiger »

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2015, 07:02:45 AM »
Aside from the cap coming off, how do you like the livewell over the bait tube? My friends and I keep debating over it. Im still not sold on the live well, I just prefer the simplicity of the tube.

Offline Thaiger

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2015, 02:43:46 PM »
I love my livewell. I hate when the tube keep banging the side of the kayak. At first I thought live well will be in my way but it sit perfect right behind me.

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2015, 06:34:06 AM »
Day 8 text claimed to Tofu.

What started off as very promising, turned about to be not so good for me. Made a bunch of donkey sized opelus off the bat. Had a few baits stolen. Then a strike that cut above my wire leader. 5 min later a huge strike. Fish ran hard and turned to the boat twice. In my head I thought ono. Then it went down. A few min later, I see the ugly shape of a big galapagos shark. Boo. Rest of the day I just get aha harassed. Managed to make some big opelus and some rats that my friends and I ate for sushi for dinner.

Day 8
small kawa  = 5pts
weke ula = 6 pts
day 8 total = 11pts

Current Total
11 + 202 = 213 pts

Offline Llobes

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 07:23:07 AM »
At least you know how for catch bait

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2015, 07:52:09 PM »
Claiming Day 9 tomorrow.

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2015, 10:54:53 AM »
 8) Another bum day for me. Was a strange one for sure. Weather started out absolutely perfect. Bait pile was holding but not biting. Managed to make one lucky bait. Took a strike on it and as I was boosting it up it came off. I though hmmm pull hook I guess. Bring it up and there is everything on the line minus the hook lol. Was running knot 2 kinky and I guess the wire slipped though the eye somehow because my knot was still intact.

Spent a few hours dragging moanas because the opelu refused to bite. Had an omilu at the yak circling my bait refusing to bite for a while. Took numerous strikes but no stickers. I guess it was large papio or ahas. By now I had been fishing for 5-6 hours and was getting over it. The spot I was fishing at is often a break point for the trades and the trade "wrap". Started nuking hard and the wind was alternating from east to west 20 knots every 2 minutes. The water got super rough. All of a sudden for about 5 minutes the opelu bit like crazy and I made about 8 more baits. Decided to stick it out for a while with no luck. Took my sweet time coming in hopes of a buzz beater ulua or kawa. Lost 4 baits to ahas. But I kept putting out fresh ones cuz I need the points. Managed a 23" omilu that I let go.

Always get next week!

Day 9
CNR 6 pound omilu = 11points
CNR Moana = 8 points
Day 9 total 19 points

213 + 19 = 232 points

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2015, 08:43:40 PM »
Even though Mark Cuison going kick my okole, I claiming Day 10 tomorrow 6-5-2015.

Offline Thaiger

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2015, 09:24:47 PM »
Good luck tomorrow get some blood on the yak.

Offline Mark cuison

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2015, 10:38:46 AM »
Lol no ways bro!! Haha I hope you got some good axion! I barely could hooks something lol

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2015, 09:00:37 PM »
Text claimed day #11 to tofu and llobes.

On a crap streak.

2 long hard days in a row with nothing to show. Was hard to watch Yoko_ono get some good ones in my face. Made baits, just couldn't get any strikes.

Day 10
2 CNR Moana = 16

Day 11 2 CNR Moana = 16

Current Total

16 + 16 + 232 = 264 pts

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2015, 04:58:56 AM »
Claiming day 12

Offline Mark cuison

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2015, 06:18:14 AM »
Good luck bro get some!!

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2015, 04:01:52 PM »
Day 12
Mahaloz Mark, but unfortunately another bum day haha. Most of the time cannot fish the prime grounds because of wind or scheduling.....so i usually I end up fishing my hometown. It is pretty inconsistent in the way of pelagics though.The wind on Kauai is unpredictable and can get nuts out of the blue. I figure, might as well just claim em anyways, better than watching  "Keeping Up With The Kardashians".

Made bait early, went out to the 40, the 60, the 80. Nobody's home today. Got a good size ulua (woulda been good consolation prize) that looked like he was gut hooked. As I was pulling him on to my lap, he gave one last kick back in the water, and somehow the hook popped out of his throat. No gopro or pics so boo for me. On the way in landed a 9 ish omilu. Was debating on keeping it, but I almost always let omilus go. They look too cool. Try again another day........

Day 12
CNR Moana = 8 points
CNR 9lb Omilu = 11 points

Day 12 total = 19 points

Current total
264 + 19 = 283 points

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2017, 12:56:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Nephew with his Kagami