Author Topic: Waimeakauai Makahiki Thread #1  (Read 6016 times)

Offline Waimeakauai

Re: Waimeakauai Makahiki Thread #1
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2015, 05:22:15 AM »
Claim day 13 today

Offline Thaiger

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2015, 05:50:38 AM »
Good luck. You'll get them today.

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2015, 11:50:34 AM »
Day 13 Report
Wasn't going to fish, but my other plans got altered so I squeezed a quick one in with Yoko_ono who wanted to test out his new FF. Thanks Thaiger, did better but was still not the greatest day. No bait in sight, somehow got a small kawa on damashi so I decided "SNUFFLEUPAGUS it" and I rigged it to my main line. Got hit by a kaku after it was already dead. Since neither of us could find any bait, I just went for the mm straight. Worked real hard to get an ulua to add to it but was unsuccessful. On the way in I took a huge strike in 20 feet of water. Got all excited cuz I'm thinking there is my ulua, but of course I get cut off at the rocks and have about 20 yards of frayed line. At least I managed to get my first MM straight.

MM Straight
CNR 25lb Kaku = 17
CNR Moana = 8
CNR Hage = 7
2 Toau =2
6 Taape = 6
Day 13 total 40 points

*Wasn't sure if can use multiple toau or taape for mm points so let me know if I gotta take em off. Tried also to get the measure next to my kayak to give a ballpark size for kaku. Yoko_ono was near me and he said it was for sure over 20. Was definitely larger than my 16lber earlier in the season. Again willing to adjust points if necessary.

Current total 283 + 40 = 323 points
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:03:10 PM by Waimeakauai »

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2015, 11:51:32 AM »
Better pic of kaku

Offline Kapena Holoholo

• 808 868-8737
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2015, 08:07:57 AM »
Great job making the best of a no Opelu day! 

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2015, 06:28:13 AM »
Text claimed Day 14 to Ike & Tofu.

Wasn't going to fish or camp this weekend, but I got suckered in since all the crew was going. Finally some better grounds, but what happens? Fish finder not working of course. Figured I still had deads so I would at least try for some uku. Got a 7ish one off the bat, but got my bait stolen the rest of the day. What a sad face when your last opelu gets eaten......by a taape. Had to go in early, but managed to get a MM on the way in. The MM salvaging another one of my bad days. Although I didn't do so good, very stoked to see the rest of the crew do some work!

Roi = 9
CNR Munu = 8
CNR Papio = 7
CNR A'awa = 7
4 Taape = 4

Day 14 Total = 35 pts

Current Total

323 + 35 = 358 points
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:38:42 AM by Waimeakauai »

Offline lyle

• i smell something fishy...
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2015, 06:46:40 AM »
I'd rather have the Taape then a stupid hage

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2015, 10:46:10 AM »
True, but still waiting for a good day...... Not mich luck yet this year.

Offline lyle

• i smell something fishy...
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2015, 01:20:50 PM »
Same here everyone else is catching good fish but i can't seem to get any pelagics

Offline jay

• Ultra Member
  • eat fish!
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2015, 09:08:08 PM »
ur gonna get em next waimea!U are a very dedicated,skilled,and humble fisherman.ur on deck !looking forward to another fishing adventure  ;D

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2015, 09:06:47 PM »
Claiming Day 15, June 26

Offline Thaiger

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2015, 07:32:03 AM »
Go get them.

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »
Day 15

Interesting and action packed day for better or worse. Started off with disaster as I was launching, my rudder came up during a wave (didn't lock it) and I didn't realize I couldn't turn till the next wave took me out. Yard sale in the dark. Got everything back except my Walmart shades and kage. Radio'ed Jay from shore and he said he had found it and had it with him. I needed to bilge my yak and throw everything in the hull just in case I f'ed up again so I told em I would catch up to them.

Made some bait real early luckily and decide to throw one out while I was catching up. Radio was acting up so was only getting half the messages. 2 hours go by and still no sight of anyone. Stomach is sore had to poop (mirage drive hole my favorite feature of the hobies). Right there I get caught pants down literally. Pole goes off and I am fighting something big with my pants at my ankles for a good 10 minutes before I finally get a chance to pull it back up. I am getting worked hard, towed all over the place. 30-40 minutes later I am staring at a monster ulua. I am in shock because the water isn't that deep - took me from 160-90 feet during the battle - and he had more than 200 yards of line out on me. He is tired, I got no gopro no kage, I don't even know what I am going to do. No ones in sight, radios not working well so I figure I gotta let him go. Tape measured him, somewhere between 52-55 inches fork to nose. Tried my best to get some photos with my found but they did not come out well. Was really tricky with one hand on the camera and the other holding the line.

Still no sign of the partners, and finally I get radio contact again. Getting closer, luckily I make a nice kawa. Finally I see some yaks in the water, pretty tired and relieved. Get my kage back and we all decide to go try for uku on the inside. Luckily I run over a random bait pile and pick up a couple of pieces. Threw one out and headed to my friend to share. Boom a screamer. No clue what it is, coming back to me then jetting away at lightning speed. Stayed up top. My friend shouts "ono", but I was like I got flouro. Im staring at my reel while I try to crank up the slack as fast as I can. Big splash and my friend is yelling "its a sailfish" (told me he seen it tail walk). I look up to see a swirl of water near the surface and then 4 dorsal fins and the outlines of sharks zooming in water is boiling about 20 yards in front of me. Free spool to give the fish a chance and I get drained in a matter of seconds. When I am below half way I lock it up again and start cranking like a mad man. Coming in super easy, could be wounded or maybe just pieces left. I'll never know because when I hit my top shot my leader gets cut. Pretty intense 2-3 minutes.

Sorry for the long one. I like reading everyone's stories, so just paying it back.

Day 15
Kawakawa 10.5 lbs = 20pts
Ulua CNR 90lbs = 62 pts

Day 15 total 82 pts.

358 + 82 = 440 pts.

*Ulua in the 52-55" range could be 90 - 120 lbs according to growth chart. Again, I didn't get good shots with just one hand free, so if it has to be scored as a smaller fish I'm OK with that.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:19:24 AM by Waimeakauai »

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2015, 08:05:25 PM »
 Wow action!
  I got caught with my pants down once by a mahi. except i had taken them off and jumped in to relieve myself and i fought the mahi in naked.

Offline Kapena Holoholo

• 808 868-8737
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2015, 01:35:04 PM »
Amazing -- You deserve bonus points for your story telling!  No pants -- we are happy no video; story good enough.

Offline Thaiger

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2015, 03:30:42 PM »
Action packed day. Thanks you for the info about the mirage drive hole got to give that a try. 
Congrats again on the giant. 

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2015, 06:13:58 PM »
 what do you do when you get floaters  :o

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2015, 07:59:19 PM »
If u start paddling with the drive out, the waves and water will suck it out. Although..... I know a guy (no names) that was impatient and just threw it out with his hand. I hope was the left hand.  8)

Offline Tofu

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2015, 01:53:55 PM »
How longs that pole Tavis? And whats the measurement to the reel seat?  That looks like a toad in the pics, so i'm inclined to accept your post, unless another competitor has an issue. The pole lengths can help alleviate anyone thoughts. 

There has been a bit of C&R ulua's this season and so far I've let them all through cause of the diligence by each angler. 

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2015, 03:45:08 PM »
The pole is 6 ft. so 72". I did get a decent measure with the tape right when it came up. If anyone has a concern, I'm OK taking it as a smaller fish. But please PM first, I have a video clip that kind of shows the size of it better. Couldn't get it to post here.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2017, 12:59:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Voggy Sunset

Posted by on 23 Feb 2009

in
Through an anglers eyes

Coming back in on a beautiful, glassy evening.

0 comment(s)