Author Topic: Waimeakauai Makahiki Thread #1  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Waimeakauai

Re: Waimeakauai Makahiki Thread #1
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2015, 06:49:46 AM »
Text Day 16 to Llobes and Tofu

Very long at hot day, but at least we got to fish some nice water for once. Not much to say except I gotta learn to stop making fun of my friends. I was teasing my friend for having his albright knot pull on him and same thing happened to me. I went 1/5 with a buzz beater that stuck at the very end.

Day 16
13lb uku = 20 pts
cnr moana = 8 pts

Day 16 total = 28 pts

Current Total
28 + 440 = 468 points

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2015, 05:50:43 AM »
Claiming day 17 today!

Offline Kapena Holoholo

• 808 868-8737
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2015, 06:34:34 AM »
You paid the tax man recently so hoping you get a big one in your yak today.

Offline lyle

• i smell something fishy...
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2015, 06:59:08 AM »
Good luck

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2015, 08:02:33 AM »
Day 17
Could be better could be worse....or....so close but so far.....

Forgot bait at home. Had a yard sale without being in the water. Coulda been a better start.

Paddling out bait was making me feel a little nervous since it has been wishy washy lately. Picked up some moanas on the way out "just in case". Luckily made a few pieces off the bat and started fishing. First strike comes on and I see those uku head shakes. Taking me a while to get it up and I am thinking, hmmm am I being a popoki over this? When I finally get color I see a fatty and I realize it was ok. haha.

Off to a good start I keep playing the zone. Wind and rain kicks in from the tropical depression and I radio Yoko_ono "are you sure its not going to get worse?" He responds "we have been in much worse". Few minutes later I get uku #2. He looks borderline 10 so I realize I still have work to do. Action slows down a bit. Some of the storm clouds are passing over land and it looks thick. I can barely see the tour boats on the inside and I wonder if we should head in soon. The wall of grey starts spreading to where we are and I know we are running out of time.

Uku #3 feels pretty good and I am just horsing him in. Too bad he gets real light under the boat. Taxed! Kapena I guess you gotta pay taxes all the time! Was bigger than #2 but it ain't gonna do me any good. Keep trying for a bit more. Short bite on one and cut leader on another and I'm done for the day. So close to having my best day....maybe next time.

Day 17
Uku 20lb 10 oz = 40pts
Uku 10lb 14 oz = 20pts (weight video sent to tofu)

Day 17 total  = 60pts

Current Total 468 + 60 = 528 points

Offline Thaiger

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2015, 11:49:24 AM »
Nice. Good day right there. 👍👍👍

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2015, 04:58:29 AM »
Claiming today. Lets see how long I can stay out before my back gives out again.

Offline Mark cuison

« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2015, 08:22:32 AM »
Axion!! Big Boi ulua

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2015, 05:41:23 PM »
Quick Report
Sailfish 81lb
CNR moana
Pics and story soon. Super tired

Offline BadKarma

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2015, 04:15:06 PM »
Ho sweet!!!! Cant wait to see the Sail! Congrats man!!!!!!
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14
Malibu Kayaks Stealth 12

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2015, 08:31:06 PM »
Day 18 Report

Late start to a slow day that ended with a bang. Me Llobes and Yokos were slated to fish hard, but due to some miscommunication and an alarm that wasn't set, we were waiting for a guy that never showed up. Llobes and I were tired and not even in the mood to fish that day and were thinking of just fooling around for a couple hours or just going straight home. Then the phone rings and its Yokos. And he is scolding us for even thinking of going home. He said get your okoles out there now and don't come back till you get fish. So we decide alright might as well charge without him.

Bait came easy and so did a few strikes. Straight bait thieves. Next few hours was a whole lot of nothing. Decided to play some uku spots for a while and still no action. About 10:30 the wind starts cranking 20kts gusting to 30 and the east swell wrap is making things pretty uncomfortable. I think about going in, but I can just picture Yokos saying "Eh Kagawa, what the hell you buy one Hobie for if you not going charge, get some fish now". Find more bait only to realize that at some point my bait tube broke off and now I am out of ammo. The last bait I had was untouched for about 3-4 hours so I let em go and switch em up for my new bait which was the size of an oama. I figure an uku will grind this thing in no time.

I radio Llobes and tell em let's take one last spin to the 40. On the way out, reel starts blazing. First thing in my mind is ONO. Turns around and I'm cranking like a maniac to pick up the slack. Then all of a sudden there is no question to what this bad boy is. Bill and sail flailing in the air. Thing takes a horizontal dash and I get to see the full outline through the water. What an amazing sight. Getting towed in a circle, feeling a little sketch with the rollers especially when the white caps slam into the yak.

The last part was the hardest. It was holding its ground 20 ft below me forever. I am just waiting for the tax man to take my prize, but eventually I get him to the surface. He don't like it one bit and launches his bill up 1 foot from the yak. Makes another run and I lose everything I just got in the last 10 minutes. Made a decision to try handlining it in. Pretty much a tangled mess and had it run again I would of lost it for sure. Was coming up with little effort so I decided to keep going. When he was right by the yak he gave a few shakes. But in the end I GOT THE KAGE IN HIS HEAD. Great experience, stoked as hell, but pretty sure I wouldn't want a billfish any bigger than that. Paddle in was sketch and I almost had huli a few times. Went from zero to trips in minutes.  Funny thing about fishing you never know how your day will end.

Day 18
Sailfish 81lbs = 110 pts
CNR Moana = 8 pts

Day 18 total = 118 pts
Current Total 118+ 528 = 646 pts
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:34:51 PM by Waimeakauai »

Offline Kapena Holoholo

• 808 868-8737
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2015, 08:40:08 PM »
Congrats!  Amazing catch and story!  Any video for us?

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2015, 09:44:46 PM »
Thanks Ed. I actually managed to capture the whole thing on GOPRO for once. Will take some time, but I will get it out for sure.

Offline Thaiger

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2015, 10:58:39 PM »
Congrats what a catch you got there.  Awesome day

Offline surf-bum

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2015, 06:44:46 AM »
Yeah you fahkah!!!

Offline Toy-Dcab

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2015, 07:16:56 AM »
What an amazing fish and story!!!!
Huge congrats and can't wait for the video.

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2015, 09:21:13 PM »
Claiming day 19 sat aug 8

Offline Mark cuison

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2015, 06:31:25 AM »
Good luck bro! Get some!

Offline Waimeakauai

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2015, 08:28:16 PM »
Day 19 Report

Mahaloz Mark but it didn't work out how I wanted. Long 10 hour day, tried my best but no magic today.  Made a load of bait in the morning, but l couldn't seem to stick any fish. Went 2 for 11 on strikes, the only ones that stuck were 2 ahas. After all this time, these were the only 2 ahas that I actually hooked perfectly in the mouth and didn't foul hook. However, the rest of my fish couldn't get stuck to save my life. Some of them were running hard and then pop, nothing. Oh well I guess that's just fishing. Thanks to the aha I was able to make a MM straight to save me with some points. Also got a decent yellow spot for some sash for lunch tomorrow.

Day 19
CNR A'awa 7 pts
CNR Omilu 7 pts
CNR Hage 7 pts
CNR Moana 8 pts
AHA 10 pts.

Day 19 Total = 39 points

Current Total 39 +646 = 685 points

Offline Thaiger

« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »
You get them big one next time. Nice points

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2017, 12:59:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Yellow Dot Papio