Author Topic: Transducer in hull install - Duct seal or Marine Goop method?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline brother_c

So my old ff finally gave up the ghost when I accidentally banged the transducer on a rock early in the morning launching.  Picked up a Garmin 44dv and it has a transducer way to big for the scupper mount.  So I had my old unit pretty dialed in reading light arches.  Anyone have experience with both methods?  Looking to find out the best way to get good return detail (not beeps noon stop and pictures of fish on da screen u know).  I have only ever run transducer in the water.  Mahalo for u guys input.

Colin

Offline Thaiger

Re: Transducer in hull install - Duct seal or Marine Goop method?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 07:38:03 AM »
I use duct seal and love it easy to move and the return work great. All I did is make a mount and I jam in transducer in and seal it with more duct seal on top. And good Togo.

Offline Toy-Dcab

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 11:59:42 AM »
Hey Colin, I did not know that was you at landing on Saturday. Good job on the mahi!

I was/am in the same boat/kayak as you. My FF died early this year and I had it dialed in and it worked all these years. Now I have the exact same replacement FF as you. I'm still playing with the settings and slowly getting used to it.

My old transducer was gooped to the hull and it worked great. After doing more research I went with the wet method to mount the Garmin's transducer and so far so good. I was curious to see how much loss I'm getting so on Saturday I suck the transducer in the water and did not notice any difference.

Hope this helps,
Ryan

Offline brother_c

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 08:56:22 PM »
Thanks guys.  I actually ended up going with a bit of hybrid.  I purchased a Sterilite food storage container with a locking sealed lid and cut the bottom out.  Used the duct seal to fix it to the hull, and a small amount on the ends of the transducer and some stainless wire to hold it in place.  Just need to make a small slot for the wire when I put on the battery connector.  Now just gotta test it out.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2017, 02:15:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AHTV

Makahiki 2016 Prize Sponsors

PENN

Ocean Kayak

Bending Branches

Knot 2 Kinky

Ocean Kayak

Scotty Products

Aquahunters Random Gallery Pic!

Chinamans Hat